Well last night I had a little scare. I was driving from my house to my fiance's house (about 1 mile) and the truck just up and quit running. There was no warning, no lights, no nothing. The tach was rolled all the way over to max RPM. I was almost to my fiance house. I pulled the truck into the elementary school parking lot and called my step-dad. He brought his truck and we chained the BII by the brush guard to pull it home since I haven't got any tow hooks on the front yet. The brush guard took a couple good hits from chain slack and it held up extremely well.
I took off work today since traffic in Louisville is crazy on Oaks Day (day before the Kentucky Derby) and all the other office staff were taking off to go to Oaks. I got up early to work on it this morning since it was susposed to start raining around 2pm today and my drivers window was down (power windows). I figured it out in no time. It was a supply wire off the starter solenoid had broke; age finally got to it. I replaced it and everything works wonderful again.
I figured I would finish up waxing the beast and do a few minor little other things to her. Here are a few pictures from today.
Passanger side Eddie Bauer emblem was gone so I replaced it.
Both V6 emblems were gone off the truck when I got it. I bought one off eBay that was a new old stock emblem. I figured I would put it on and find another one.
And here is a few walk around pictures after I got done waxing it. Meguirs 3 step wax (Clean, Polish, Wax) is amazing stuff. The paint was really faded before I used this stuff. It looks almost good as new now. Has a very deep shine.
Needless to say it started raining as soon as I got done.
Here is a little comparison as to what the BII looked like when I got it a month ago and what it looks like now. Hard to believe it is the same vehicle.
Yea the turning radius of this thing is amazing. I can't wait to try it out at the Dunes!
Thats exactly why I miss my old fullsize Bronco.. it had a sharper turning radius then my ranger right now.. abel to whip out U-Turn on the middle of a street no problem. My ranger can almost get it.. but it sorta dependson how far to the right I pull and if theres parked cars or not
Well I did a few little things waiting on my transmission to get here so I can start the swap.
I added the 2 decals on the rear hatch. There were gone when I got the BII.
Every rig should have a fire extinguisher with in arms reach of the driver. Since I work in fire protection, fire extinguishers are an easy come by for me. I got this one for free from work. One of our techs dropped it and scratched it; we won't sell it scratched, so I got it for FREE! I am all the time bringing fire extinguishers home for free.
I had to remove the factory CV driveshaft. Luckly I had 2 other driveshafts to choose from. One is a double cardon driveshaft. I am going to wait to put that on when I install the Explorer rear end and have the driveshaft rebuilt.
The other is a single cardon driveshaft. It will work for a tempory until after the Dunes trip.
Here are the pictures.
Old CV driveshaft installed. Notice the HORRIBLE CV angles. That driveshaft had already blew out all the grease in the CV joints and was clicking when it would turn.