Got rid of an '81 Mustang project to get the wife to sign off on this one. 1983 Bronco, 300 inline 6, C6, NP208, 8.8 rear end.
Plans are to turn this into a dedicated trail rig. Nothing too crazy though as it will be a budget build. Most of my project are in order to be able to support them all.
Plans (in order):
Tune-up and Fluid Changes
15x8 Cragar Soft 8s
33x12.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Cheap Bucket Seats
Beat the hell out of it
EFI dual exhaust manifold swap
Eventually a 9" and D44 SAS swap
Then beat the hell out of it some more
I did pull all the smog crap off as well as the carb for a rebuild.
Started pulling it apart
Completely apart, waiting to be cleaned and put back together tomorrow.
Yeah, all the emissions crap is gone. I was lucky in that 83 was the last year for non-feedback carburetor so eliminating the smog crap doesn't affect it. Hopefully today I can get the Carb back together and go pick up a new battery.
Carb is all put back together. Hopefully I did it correctly, we will soon see.
Before it goes back on, I have to make an EGR eliminator spacer for the carb to plug the egr port coming up from the intake manifold. You can see it here in this picture next to the blue shop towel covering the intake opening.
Got it all back together, swapped the plugs and wires and it fired up and idled great. However, it was spewing a lot of oil out of the rear main seal so the engine will be coming out starting tomorrow for a new seal and new valve cover, oil pan, and lifter cover gaskets. Also gonna take the power washer to it as three cans of engine degreaser barely scratched the surface of this thing. Pics to come tomorrow.
This was my under a buck fix for the egr port in the intake manifold.
Then I used a specialty precision installation tool to get it in place called a hammer.
Stripping the motor down getting ready to pull it out
Also ran one of the EFI exhaust manifolds through the blast cabinet and gave it a quick clean up. Once they are both clean, they will be sprayed with DupliColor high temp header paint.
Not really good progress pics but they will provide something to compare to when the motor is all cleaned up and back in. Will also be looking to clean up the engine bay a bit this week before the motor goes back in. Goal for tomorrow is to get the motor out and on an engine stand and maybe start working on it some.