Forgot I had bought these Vatozone wires when I bought the Bronco. They do fit much better and they have lifetime warranty. Also got the ignition coil back on and switched the cap adapter on the distributor from blue to black.
Intake and exhaust manifolds on.
Something will have to be done down the road about this single barrel carb.
Well, I picked up 3 decent 35's fro $30 a piece. Need one more. Going to have to wait on the new wheels until next month. Trans dipstick and trans mount bushings are on order from Bronco Graveyard.
I cleaned up the trans a little bit and sprayed it with some extra cast iron paint I had laying around.
Pulled the Bronco back in and started on the.... I don't know whether to call these 1/2 doors or 1/4 doors or 5/16 or 3/8 or 7/16 doors so I will call these fraction doors. LOL Taped out more or less what I wanted and made an initial cut. I put the tires beside the Bronco to see what it was going to look like more or less.
Wasn't real happy with the way it looked near the door handle and with the door handle. Looked a bit odd to me so I did away with it.
Pretty happy with this door so until I can get a sheet of 18ga sheet metal, I will be gutting and cutting the passenger door.
Once the mounts and dipstick come in, the trans will go back in.
Tomorrow, passenger door and driveshaft u-joints, maybe oil pressure, water temp, and voltage gauges.
Crunch time. I have 2-1/2 more days to get this thing running and on the trail.
Pulled the Bronco into the shop and while I was waiting for the other guys to get some free time to help with the trans, I decided to do something about the air cleaner. Air cleaners for 1bbl carbs are hard to come by and every adapter I came across did not fit because of the electric choke.
Took the stock air cleaner and cut out the centers to turn it into an open element air cleaner. I know, I know, hot air, gets dirty faster but down the road this will be addressed.
The top had some funky vacuum valve on it. Took it off and welded it closed.
Here we go
The highly anticipated and dreaded moment
In. The trans dipstick I ordered was for a SBF which shares a bolt pattern with this motor but it would not clear the intake so I had to get creative put an additional bend in the dipstick tube which ended up working out great.
Looks like I have my work cutout for me these next couple of days.
Got started on the wiring and moved the battery to the rear of the vehicle.
Got some Vatozone gauges and tach and mounted them.
Mad wiring scramble. No pictures to show though. Phone died and wasn't able to snap any pics.
I did however pick this gem up today. 76-77 F100/150 Dana 44 HP. No plans on getting it in anytime soon though. I wanna build it up along side a matching 9" and maybe have them ready to be swapped in next summer. Plans are 3 link in the front and 4 link in the rear.
It's alive!!! Got the pig running today. Started up fairly easy. Idles fine, and sounds pretty good IMO with the Walker y-pipe feeding into a Dynomax race bullet. I was worried it would be too loud but its actually perfect.
I nailed all the electrical wiring with no need for adjustments or corrections. Electrical fans ran, light all worked, gauges all lit up.
There are some leaks:
#1 from the engine dipstick tube base, going to need to be replaced or sealed up. Graveyard wants $75 for it, so unless I can find a good one at the junkyard, it will need to be repaired.
#2 from what appears to be the PS box. Didn't have a chance (time) to take a closer look but I couldn't see any fluid coming from the lines so it is a guess for now.
Another issue is the throttle sticks as I found out during a moment of lack of better judgement. I took it on a shakedown run up and down the street. As I was pulling it back into the shop, I stopped at the main gate which is gravel/dirt, the guys were watching so I decided to kick up a little dust. Shifted it into first gear manually, and pinned the throttle for a second, when I released it, it stayed down. The truck took off headed straight at a fully restored 1962 Oldsmobile Starfury at WOT. I stood on the brakes and tried shifting it back into neutral but the ratchet shifter made it difficult so I killed the ignition switch just in time. I ended up about 5 feet from the car. Feel free to give me **** about it. I deserve it. That was stupid.
Lastly, it picks up a real bad bounce around 30mph. I'm thinking this is due to the **** ***, well worn 35s I picked up. The street is pretty bad too but it was a bit excessive.
Now its just detail stuff which usually tends to be the biggest headaches.
Well, gave the Bronco to my wife for her birthday. So not many more mods planned for it. The solid D44 will now be going into the Ranger I had originally planned as a tough truck. More on that build later.
Proved to be a little too much for a basically stock Bronco on 35's
Was really disappointed with the tire obstacle and it is crying out for lower gearing. Just ordered a full spool for a 9" rearend I am building for it with 4.88 gears. And also putting together a high pinion D44 over the next couple of months.