Yea i've been writing the mileage on the filters for a while now. With the current location its real easy to check.
Little bit more progress tonight. I fabbed up the drag link and the trac bar and made them to the exact same eye-to-eye length. The drag link angle looks real nice and flat so it should steer nicely. Tomorrow night I hope to start fabricating the trac bar mounts on the axle and the frame.
So I have built my trac bar mount and have it welded to the frame. It is setup so that the angle is the same as the drag link from front to back, and up/down, which places it in front of the drivers side coil spring. The steering angles look great but I have two concerns with how it sits now, and hopefully some of you guys can chime in. First is the clearance between the tie rod and the trac bar mount. There is around 4 or 5 inches of clearance and I'm worried they might contact when off roading. One solution is drill out the knuckles, pick up some tapered inserts, and move the tie rod under the knuckle, but that cuts into the rods clearance. Another is to use a pitman arm with less drop,move the drag link and trac bar up on the frame side. The second concern is that I can't see an easy way to use the stock sway bar since the track bar is in the way. So far I haven't worked this issue out... Any idea's appreciated.
Thanks guys. Ive been working on it all week but the pictures aren't very exciting. All of the brackets, steering, and suspension are fully welded and painted, just waiting to b reinstalled. Also tucked the engine cross member up another 2 inches by adding a piece of 2x3 quarter wall tubing for support.
I went to start regearing the axle last night but the bearing kit from Rockauto was the wrong one. I sourced a new kit locally that should b in today. Hopefully the locker and gear swap goes quickly so I can get the axle back under the truck.
Well my carrier/pinion bearing came in today so I got busy with the diff. I got the Spartan locker installed, which was super easy and started on the rest of the gear swap. Have all of 4.10 ring gear installed and working on setting everything to spec, not quite done yet. Couple pics of the progress.
Crossmember in progress. Added the tube for support and you can see the cut line on the stock crossmember of what I removed.
Trac bar mount fully welded and primed.
Axle with some POR15
Radius arms and steering assembled and waiting for install!
Quick update... The gears are finally set with the correct pinion preload, and backlash. Ran into an issue that the D30 had two different carriers depending on the gear size... after installing the locker and trying to set the backlash unsuccessfully, I found out I had the wrong carrier for the 4.10 gears. Once the new Yukon carrier arrived I had the gears set in no time. The diff cover is on and this weekend the axle will go back under the truck so I can install everything else on the front end.
The truck is out of the garage! I have the axle under the truck and bolted in place with axle shafts, knuckles and wheels installed! Only thing left to finish the axle is to mount the calipers and bleeds the system. The front end is sitting about an inch and a half high right now so once the springs resettle and the rest of the parts are re-added the truck should have a great ride height for the 33's.
Ran into on thing over the weekend that the transmission combo I was hoping to run is not going to work so I am tracking down an M5OD-R2 and have a tentative deal with a guy mid state. If all goes well I can pick that up soon and get it installed.
Well I have been working on the truck nonstop but progress is slow. I welded the traction bar mounts to the axle and crossmember, hopefully tonight I can get the shackles and the bar fabricated. The bed is back on the truck with the wiring hooked back up and a fuel filler added to the bed.
Biggest issues at the moment are the trans and tcase. I tracked down an M5OD-R2 with a manual 1356 but the tcase doesn't fit well between the frame rails. I am going to the junkyard Friday to try and find a manual 4406 that should be narrower. Hopefully I can find one and get the truck finished up....
Well it took 6 junkyards and a good amount of money but I found a manual shift 4406 today. I have it bolted up to the transmission and sitting under the truck. Much better position for both driveshafts, with the rear centered within a half inch and the front with plenty of clearance to the frame. Started working on the shifters and making an access hole in the floor. Traction bar is complete and ready to go on the truck as soon as I pick up a couple of bolts. If all goes well I will get the engine crossmember and exhaust done in the next three days and send the driveshafts out next tuesday. Getting close!