Any way a mod could clean this up? Its my build thread, people can debate what rear came in foxbodies somewhere else. People also have to understand I am a junior in college that gets no money from mommy and daddy. Anyone can suggest getting a 9" built by a company for a mere $2000, but thats more than I have into the whole build. If I was going to go with something else I'd build it myself. You can suggest things like that till your blue in the face if you want, but its nothing I don't know about and nothing is changing. School starts in a week so I'll be leaving my truck and want as much done as possible. Enjoy the pics. Project college crawler.......
Stripped and painted the frame but missed a few spots cause I was racing an incoming tstorm so I gotta touch up/redo some. Just didnt want any flash rusting after I stripped half of it. Been battling the rain that seems to come every single day, and trying to squeeze in what work I can while its daylight.
Tore apart the packs, painted em up, took out a leaf and put em back together.
Just lookin good using my harbor freight drill press yeaaaa, thing has more trouble drilling holes than the fat kid in my gym class did running the mile.
Stock v Extended
The springs I bought turned out to not be 63's. 63's came in 1998 1/2+ and apparently the burb I pulled em from was just a regular 98. So my springs are about 59", I measured them earlier and they seemed to be about 61 so I figured they were 63's cause those names are usually a few off. Not so. Relocated the hangers so everything lined up and had a good shackle angle and prayed that they would give me enough lift. I took a leaf out; and I also cut the overload way down so it won't restrict travel but will enhance droop. So I slid the axle in and then it was dark and raining.
Sprayed it, stripping it again and doing brush on rustoleum cause spray on sucks
Had to clearance Cab mounts for longer springs. Will be strengthening them.
Had to take out the gas tank to mount drive side springs, what a *****.
Running a pretty deep shackle angle for now, about 30% uptravel and 70% droop, should be perfect for a truck this size/weight. Looking forward to seeing how she flexes. Springs are sofffftt, I'm pumped. Reused stock blocks for now, will eventually eliminate them all together.
Actually sits nice and low, very happy with the rear. Quite a bit of trimming ahead of me. Shoulda taken a weekend at most to do the rear but ran into 100 problems. Springs were shorter than I thought, used all grade 8 1/2" hardware on springs and nothing cleared em. Had to drill out springs, plasma cut blocks, and spring plates. NOBODY sells extended Ubolts for rangers alone, finally found a local place and they made me a set while I waited. Wicked nice, to my spec, with hardware for $36. Front gets started tomorrow.