So, I finally got around to fixing the latch in my arm rest! After years of twisty ties and sticky Velcro, this truck finally has a functioning arm rest console! Judging from the poor design of the latch I figured that I wasn't alone, I searched on here and found a thread where a guy had replaced his entire hood and bent some metal to form a latch, which got me thinking.
So, I took a metal piece that covers a PCI slot on the back of a computer when there isn't a card in the slot, bent it around a lot, broke excess off and Dremmeled the sides down to fit into the hole to latch. Then I put a predrill hole in the plastic backing on the armrest hood and in the metal latch. I wedged the latch in and took a small screw, used to hold computer cases on, to hold it in. Works just fine! One of the most imaginative mods out there. I think only 93-97's have this kind of armrest, but for those 3rd gens out there, this is for you.
Sorry, the pictures are crummy, but my camera didn't seem to want to focus, but you can get the idea. You may think I am crazy, but that's okay... I just really wanted a working arm rest.