I did not even come close to getting everything done this weekend. Between having to help friends unexpectedly and discovering more problems with the truck, I got very little accomplished.
The funny thing here is I have several sets of jack stands. Yet they are all being used under other non running vehicles. So, I had to improvise a bit.
This is the section of exhaust I cut out of the donor truck. Looks like the previous owner also deleted his cats. I figured there was no use in doing the same work again. Boy was I wrong. I am starting to think there should be a back ground check before someone can buy a welder. After I ground down very excessive and sloppy welds I spent a huge amount of time fixing thin areas and pin holes. I do not want to know how much I spent on electricity, gas and wire dealing with this hunk of crap. I wish the exhaust shops were open; I would have started over with new material. I plan a whole new exhaust system in the future, so this is temporary anyway.
I pulled the original 1987 spare out of the truck. Looks like it has never touched pavement before. I put its life expectancy at less than five minutes at highway speeds. I hate seeing all that meat go to waste. I picked up a never used spare at the salvage yard out of a late model Explorer. But it is an inch and a half bigger. New tires are in the works as well as a matching spare.
I got a surprise when I drained the rear diff. I did not expect to find the truck came stock with 4:10 gears. Some years back when I was building these trucks into trails rigs I would have given a left nut to find one stock with a 4L10 tag on the diff. The clutches in the LSD I think need some help. But they work well enough for now. I found out the drums are adjusted a bit too tight so I will give them some slack tomorrow.
I also replaced the original 1987 shocks. They are beyond worn out.
I found a mess of wiring. One of the biggest and most time consuming issues I have with old trucks is correcting what previous owners did. I installed the proper trailer wire connector while I was at it. I have several lying around anyway.
I did other stuff here and there as well. I hope to wrap up the exhaust tomorrow.