Well... finally getting around to working on this stuff again. Today was to finally get the Bender assembled. It looks like hell, but it's together. Good enough for me at this point. Now I just gotta find a 30A breaker and a piece of tube I can bend.
No kidding. It felt good to finally get that thing assembled. Although, I did notice a bit of a wobble on the arm holding up the Bender. Nothing major, but I'm thinking my crappy booger welds will have to be re-done. Shouldn't be a big issue.
But hopefully, I can get back in the swing of things here soon. Who knows... maybe I'll even get an axle assembled here soon.
January 2nd through the 9th I'll be on in Wisconsin. Beer is on me if you want to help. Just PM me if you want the address. I'm always game for some help. I could even probably get you a place to crash, but like I said since it's in WI, it's kind of pain for most of the MN guys to get out there (about an hour drive to Hammond).
Wow... been awhile. Anyway, going to start trying to work on this periodically. Still don't expect this thing to be drivable anytime soon (as I'm getting married in October and work has been crazy as hell lately), but hopefully progress will be made.
Anyway, buddy came up this weekend, and we laid out all the parts for the 9". Finally got most of the stuff for the ARB setup and proper. Now if I can just adjust the backlash and get everything torqued down, the 9" will be done with the exception of the brakes.
I did find that apparently, I threw out the nuts for bolting down the carrier to the axle assembly as well as the bolts for bolting the pinion housing to the carrier. Hoping to pick those up here this week.
Also, hoping that I can get the backlash and stuff setup on Sunday (asked a friend of my dad's if he'd be around then to assist since he's a Truck Mechanic).
Only 1 crappy picture. As you can see I got the axles shafts in. 35 Splines are beef. With any luck, if I can get the differential setup this weekend, I should be able to get the brakes mounted and finish this axle by the end of next week. Then it'll be onto the 44. No promises though with my schedule.
Also, for those that didn't know, I changed my username. SniperX103 was getting way outdated as it was the handle I used to use back when I played FPS games in College.
Finally got out to WI to try and get the backlash and stuff set on the 9". Well things quickly hit a wall, when we tried to tighten the Pinion nut down to the 175+ ft-lbs to start to "crush" the crush sleeve.
We quickly found out that as soon as we put any force on it, the entire pinion would bind up like we were putting too much pressure on the bearings. So it appears I either need a new Yoke, a new Pinion Support or both. I've e-mailed Strange Engineering to get their opinion and see what they suggest (as I got my 3rd member housing from them so they should know if it'll work a factory Yoke / Pinion Support). After looking over their parts catalog, I'm believe it'll just take a new "shorter" Yoke then the factory one. Hopefully they get back to me soon, and I can scrounge up the money to get this thing together.
This week, if I can find some time, I hope to take a flap disc to the 9" and throw a coat of Rattle Can on it. Tired of looking at rust.
And finally, to keep you pics ***** mongers at bay. A simple picture of the Yoke, Pinion, and Pinion Support sitting on my desk laughing at me about how nothing about this is ever going to go together right on the first try.
Another quick update. Heard back from Strange. Apparently, it should work the way I have it setup, so I clearly messed something up when putting this thing together. I'll have to get to work on tearing it apart and see what I messed up.
Ok. I'm hopeful that this thread will get an update at least once a month from here on out as I have multiple people that are egging me into doing something with this truck and the wife has given me a little bit of a budget to work with. So yeah...
Step #1. I have dropped the 44 off with a guy who was willing to assemble it for me at $35 an hour. Tired of staring blankly at these parts not knowing what the hell I'm doing, so I'm going to do what my father taught me do with problems like that. Throw money at it. Realizing, I might have to do this if I want to get this thing rolling some day.
Step #2. Plan to spend a few hours this weekend organizing the garage and potentially have another go at assembling the 9". Last time I tried (a few months ago), it seemed like everything went together fine, but I just couldn't get the damn thing to turn. Might take some videos and post up a thread on P4x4 to try and get some help.
EDIT: Man... reading through this thread just pisses me off... I'm such a lazy SOB. Gah... I need to get some work done on this thing.