Originally Posted by mhoward
Curious: what year/model Lincoln did you get your chrome multifunction from and what did you have to do to make it work? Looking to do this to mine this spring along with the matching shift lever. Your truck is coming along nicely, btw! :)
For the one I got, it came from a 1990-1994 Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, but another style you can use comes from a 1995-1997 Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.
I personally like the look of the latter version better but ultimately went with the older style for a few reasons.
1. It did not stoop down as far. The big reason I am doing this swap is because my knee loves to hit my turn signal out of place. If you notice, yours actually curves downward, and in my 2006, the switch is actually inches higher than where ours is placed and is a much better feel. Sadly, I have messed with that style but there is no way to make it work with our trucks.
2. The one I went with has a chrome tip on the end, which (if I don't paint the chrome black) would look pretty cool.
3. I liked how the wiper part turned better.
There is a how to for the chrome swap here
In the how to, it stares swapping the switch by plugging it in works on older trucks. For ours, we will need to swap essentially the guts of the switch.
What I am doing is combining 4 switches into 1 and using the least worn parts of each switch. The only Lincoln part I kept was the chrome stalk.
In my first spare Ranger switch, the resistor disk (a small disk with resistors on it at the tip of the stalk for the wipers) was broken but the internals were in much better error shape than the Lincoln switch.
In my second spare switch, the disk was in perfect condition but the lower internals were corroded. That would have been fine as I only needed the disk but because the how to was so vague for our trucks, I connected some wires at the wrong spot making it impossible to put the switch back together.
What I messed up was how I connedlcted the resistor disk. There are 3 wires that go from the disc to the guts in the "main block" that run in a tube inside the stalk. (The same tube that I ran copper wire into to push out the resistor disk without damaging anything). Because the Ranger disk and Lincoln disk connect differently, you need to put in the Ranger wires to clip into the Ranger disk (in mine, the Lincoln disk was soldered in and the Ranger one had a clip connector). Where I messed up is I soldered these 3 wires back together at the bottom of the stalk thinking I could shove them into the stalk but I didn't realize there is not actually any room to do so. After further investigation I noticed there is more room at the tip of the stalk to do this behind the disk and so I had to go and get my final (fingers crossed) Ranger parts switch.
I have not yet finished this preject as I went on vacation but I plan to finish when I get back.
~Just in case you mess up something, don't do anything to the stock switch in your truck. You know that one works, and if the one you make doesn't, you can replace it with the original while you trouble shoot.
~The bottom connector on the Lincoln and Ranger switches for the resistor disk are the same, so cut the wires on the Lincoln one as close to the disk as you can and on the Ranger one as close to the big plug as you can just to maximize how much wire you have to work with.
Sorry I rambled on so much, I'm not sure how clear that will be to you and I can't take pictures without having it in front of me, so if you have more questions just ask!