12:30pm - Went to do a small burnout with the new trans and un restricted computer... KABOOOOOOOM! I was reading speeds but no 2wd or 4wd.
1:00pm - started tearing all my components out and then the trans.
3:00pm - left with my trans to head to Vancouver from Sandy. Stopped at my house for my receipt and some kaysh.
4:00pm - Get to the Vancouver LKQ and find the truck. Crawled under a stock truck on junkyard stands and using hand tools pulled the tranny in an hour and a half. I even told them I didn't bring in a tailhousing, but the guy stamping my trans insisted I did. So I got a free tailhousing from it!
5:30pm - Left the junkyard, went to Knecht's for new fluids and GoJo.
6:30pm started putting the trans and components back together.
10:30pm - Was driving the truck home.
Here's the other end of the output shaft that was stuck in the transfer case when I pulled it. Notice the twisting of the splines!
Now, I can honestly say there's a definite difference in trans gear ratios like Shane was talkin to me about. The FX4 trans was a lil shorter which made it a lil more responsive, and this new one, well.... It's a lil taller ratio than the FX4. No biggie. Just inspiration to get re-geared!
So just over 9 hours of work including pulling another trans from a truck with all the components attached, stopping at the store and my house and pulling my trans and re-installing it.... Not bad for only doing one tranny swap in my life. :)
Well I went to go pick up Austy today to hit up the JY for new things if they had anything and turned a corner and heard a boom again. Checked the front end out after we got there and it all checked out alright. Austy checked the transfer case and there was a LARGE split down the back side of it at the rear flange. I think it may have been caused from the attempted burnout which resulted in a broken output shaft (Previous page pics). I think that started the stress on the t-case and that just the slightest jar caused it to split.
Ended up grabbing the t-case I pulled the OTHER donor tranny from from yesterday that I left sitting out, thinking I wasn't going to need it. Changed the fluids with royal purple in the case and bolted it back up without problems. Needless to say, in one weekend I went through 2 transmissions and 2 transfer cases. I'm done working on **** for awhile.
Oh there is one more thing. I didn't think about the cause of this until my drive home tonight. My drivers side leaf spring is way twaked out bad. I think it was cause from rapid axle rap from the attempted burnout that bent the spring the way it did on that one side. That's the only possible cause for what happened that I can think of. So with that said here's the pics of that. I'll be starting on my fabrication of some ladder bars to prevent axle wrap.
Could axle wrap cause this? Shane it dawned on me on the way home. I'm almost positive that's the problem. So I'll be hitting up B&R tomorrow and hopefully grabbing those 05 STX leafs. I hope it's not unsafe to be driving it like that. Let me know guys.
All in all... The junkyard warrantied out the tranny which only cost me about $40 in new fluids for the tranny and some gas money and food for the guys that helped me (Shane, Josh). Then the transfer case was $145 but I'm getting $25 back in core when I take my busted one back in. $25 in fluids for that and food for the guys that helped me (Shane and Austy on the t-case). Replacement tranny and t-case for about $185. I'll be babying the truck for quite some time now. lol
FXEdgeplorer Level II
Part 01, 02, 03, and 06
Tall, Slow, Shiny, Loud
6 Lug Ranger
could you explain the harness wiring, and the dtr. after going through 4 trans in my own truck and my father trying to talk me into keeping the truck i think im going to follow through on this.
i have a 00, built after the change over, live axle 5r trans. the harness i need if im reading correctly is off the trans. starter, pedal assembly,pcm, and trans itself. the usual clutch,slave cylinder,clutch master cylinder,line. i think thats everything if im reading correctly.