The stripped cab. Getting ready to sound proof.
I had put "Dynamat" in just after buying the truck. I had to strip it all out. While it helped some,
the cab was still noisier that I wanted. With a heat gun it comes out rather easily.
The real problem was getting the glue residue left behind off. That part was a ROYAL P.I.T.A.
The "Dynamat" removal and the subsequent residue cleanup took me about 1 week.
"Damplifier Pro" installed on the ceiling.
"Firewall" (white area) covered by something SecondSkin calls "Luxury Liner."
SS claims it "is a highly effective barrier and absorber composite mat consisting of a flexible
vinyl barrier and acoustical grade open cell foam." With just the doors and roof done,
there was a noticeable drop in noise level. Not as much as I had hoped for but still very noticeable.
The doors and roof only account for 40% of the cab surface.
The humble beginnings of my speaker box.
My room mate laying out the 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" MDF he used to build the box.
Some of the cut pieces. The box will be 38.5" wide X 17.5" high X 18" deep.
It will house the 2 new 10" Infinity subs, 2 Infinity amps, plus a 12 disc Pioneer CD changer.
Trial fitting the Explorer center console.
The Explorer heated, power, bucket seat being trial fitted.
I also have an Explorer overhead console that goes over the rearview mirror.
I had read many times that the Explorer buckets were a drop-in conversion for a Ranger.
I made the mistake of thinking 2002 seats would match my Ranger color wise and be a drop in.
mistake. I learned to late that while Explorers were built on Ranger platforms originally.
That all changed in 2002. So the seats from 2002 and later Explorers no longer "drop in" to a Ranger.
They can be made to work, but it's a great deal more work. So if you're thinking about this swap, BEWARE
. After beating, banging and a whole lot of cussing, we finally got the passenger seat to fit.
When we finally got the drivers seat in and hooked up the wiring, we couldn't get the seat to move.
After checking closer we found the frame for the adjustments, up/down, forward/reverse, had been bent in the crash.
Not much but enough to cause it to jam when you tried to move the seat.
At that point I had the seats for about 4 months and the junk yard only allowed 30 days to return them.
Also we had cut and bent the mounting brackets to the point that they wouldn't have taken them back anyway,
even if we were inside the 30 day window.
So if you buy anything from a junk yard, especially if the part has any electrical components,
make sure EVERYTHING
works before you leave the yard. It was a VERY expensive lesson for me to learn.