Changed Plugs/wires, and then had to replace ECM in 93 XLT 2.3
After many years of reliable service, my 93 started acting up a couple of weeks ago.
Its a 93 XLT 2.3L 5 speed
I noticed on drive to Portland, that is was very sluggish on climbing the passes than it normally drives. I had meant to get around to installing the plugs and wires I bought months ago, and had a hunch that was part of the problem.
My check engine light came on soon after I arrived in Portland, and scheduled to see my mechanic in a few days.
We installed my Autolite Double Plats, and put in some BW Premium Wires, and reset the error code by leaving neg cable off battery for a bit. (side note, whoever changed plugs in this before, was too lazy to not change the hardest plug to reach, and we found an ORIGINAL motorcraft plug that the gap was better than 3x the .44 recommended .. I figured this was the biggest problem as it felt like the truck was running on 3 cylinders)
My check engine light still came on, and engine was still rough at idle and sluggish from start.
Back home in Grants Pass today, went to my mechanic down here (Chevron station), and by deduction, we narrowed it down to a bad ECM. We got another ECM from parts store (they lended it to us to try first), and hooked it up. Bingo! The difference in the way the truck idled, revved, and drove was a night and day difference once the ECM "learned" the truck.
Between the plugs, wires, and a new ECM that separated me from $400+ dollars this week, the truck runs now like its new, and I have newfound HP I never knew that the pickup was capable of.