Well the tranny is trashed and the tcase is getting tired (stretched chain) and I have decided to move onto a new motor/tranny/case. I have settled on a 6.8L/4R100/1356+205 doubler.
Pics of the transmission/tcase killing incident. OD band blew and while slowing down to pull over on the side of the road front right tire's tube blew thanks to something on the highway and ended up in the ditch.
It will be a "1 ton" ranger when all is said and done. I can't wait to see how the motor/tranny combo does on the rocks I have never wheeled with a manual...I feel like a 1356-1356 doubler will hide most of the issues people have since the yota guys can manage to use 22RE's with doublers and not stall.
Originally Posted by WildcatRange
Awesome build! D60's look amazing on a Ranger
Thanks it came out nice and I think the motor will really finish off the performance side.
wheeling a fairly stock truck with a stick is quite challenging on certain terrains because the gear ratios are not low enough. i have wheeled a jeep with a doubler and it was fine. if you let out the clutch it would just climb or slowly spin the tires. kinda sucked though because it still had open diffs. he only did the doubler because he split the original t-case so why not upgrade right?
Well things changed a bit. V10 is now going into the superduty which threw a rod. I have a new house and need a plow truck without question, the beat up superduty fits that build pretty well. The 5.4L should be hopefully good enough to rebuild, if not the blocks are plentiful. I have also gotten my doubler parts from behemoth along with the NP205 brace.
Ranger+V10/ZF6/NV271 loaded up for the trip from Houston to SD.
this is going to be pretty stout! So now you are going with a 5.4? 2v I assume? With the ZF6?
No idea yet the block is bad and I have a buddy willing to buy the axles out from under the superduty for more than I think they are worth along with toss me some wagoneer D44's that I will put into my XJ. So that leaves a 6.8L sitting around in the garage without a home. So many options
In other news.
35 spline 4340 shafts assembled and ground down a smidge to clear the knuckles.
and broke my snap-on dead blow in the process
Got one of the Yukon hubs installed (well both, but one doesn't lock in going to have to pull it back apart)
First off I hate flux core, but was out of gas and everything is closed. Penetration is good and I lifted the truck with the mount so I assume its fine. Have to work later today so only got one mount done. Other side will mimic this one.