Squeak / Chirp
I've been having a little bit of an issue identifying an issue with the truck. Generally, when I drive, there is a squeak or chirp noise that happens. Itís hard to say if itís all the time or not, as itís relatively quiet with the windows up, and with the windows down you get the wind noise.
The reason Iím posting about it is that Iíve taken it to a local shop three times to try to figure it out, and each time they tell me itís just a rock caught on the brakes. The truck currently squeaks, and Iíve taken all the wheels off and checked the rotor/drums, and nothing, no rocks. I know the shop has checked the U Joints, they pulled out the front shafts and checked, I think they checked the ball joints, and they checked the various boots under there Ė no issue, just some imaginary rock that they said they pulled out but somehow still squeaks.
Background on the noise;
- It does it only when the truck is moving
- Bouncing the trucks suspension does NOT cause the noise
- Per above, does not ďseemĒ like a suspension issue
- Truck goes faster, noise happens more often, and visa versa
- Sounds almost metal on metal
- Itís been doing this for the last few thousand miles, the noise doesnít get any better or worse
- Sometimes it seems like it goes away but I could be mistaken
- Driving with the window down, next to other cars or building for the sound to reverb makes it definitely more audible
Background on the truck;
- 1999 XLT 4x4
- Brakes were completely redone over a year ago (noise existed prior to break job)
- Suspension is completely stock, except for replacement parts (shocks, breaks, normal stuff)
Background on situation;
The truck has actually only been driven a handful of times over the last year, since I purchased another vehicle. The squeak was present prior to it not being driven much, and continues whenever I pull it out to keep the battery from dying and the gas from getting nasty.
Honestly, I am planning on selling the truck, but I donít want to sell it with a potential issue or even a safety concern. The shop says the squeak is a rock, but if I put ďSqueaks from rockĒ on craigslist, that seems a bit off to me - as it would to anyone.
I appreciate any input on this. You guys are the Ranger experts, breathing this stuff in day in and day out Ė is there anything you can think of that Iím missing here or something I might be able to point out to the local shop?
*side note, I searched the forums quite a bit prior to posting, hoping to avoid double posting if this has already been addressed. If I missed a thread, sorry, please provide me the link! Thanks!