First impressions of my new wheels/tire combo
Ok, first off, putting the front wheels on proved to be a royal btch. you cant see the studs so your aiming blind. And the tire/wheel is definitely heavier than my old ones... which just adds to the difficulty.
I had the wheel balanced with stick on weights. well the driverside front... backing it out of the garage had a definite rubbing grinding sound =(
Turns out, I sheared the stick on weights clean off the driverside front wheel - no damage to the rim.
Drove it to the shop that did it, and had them put a clip on weight on the inside instead of a stick on. Problem solved.
Yes I drove a whole mile with an unbalanced wheel... never topped 25 and took it easy.
Once that issue was rectified I drove around a little bit...
here are my observations:
1) there seems to be less 'bounciness' in the BFG's over the Generals. Particularly with man hole covers. the truck doesnt bounce like it usually does - thats with 40PSI in the tires.
2) the truck, overall seems to be a bit more 'planted' on the pavement. Wether this is attributed to the tires or the fact that their 1.5inches wider than my old tires not sure. However, actual treat width between my AT2's and the BFG's is 1/2in.
3) my tires now definitely stick out passed the finders....
4) I believe I gained an inch or so on ride height. I noticed this while getting in an out of the truck.
5) road noise is about the same. I wouldnt say its louder or quieter.
6) Bumps in the road seem to be a bit more 'subtle' I geuss you could say, over the Generals...
I will let you all know how it does in the rain/ snow. I have about 30,000 miles on the Generals, and about 5 miles on the BFG's these are just my initial observations.
However, I would like to say, that these wheels, and the larger tire, definitely make my truck look ALOT more aggresive and I am tickled pink with the new look... I like it ALOT. I feel it 'made' my truck.
While my stockers, painted Dark Grey looked alright, they got old fast. they, to me, didnt really 'go' with my scheme... Black wheels on a chromy truck.... blah.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good - Samuel Johnson
Originally Posted by cucukid124
well if it falls off and you run it over.... not gonna be a hugee deal.... :P