Tips on installing my new body lift? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


1" & 3" Body Lifts General discussion of body lifts for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-15-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
Tips on installing my new body lift?

Hey all, I just ordered a 3 inch PA body lift from Summit and was wondering if there is anything I could do when installing it to make it easier and a more efficient install. I've done one before on my old 96 Jimmy and it took me 5 days on and off and the rust i encountered caused me to break bolts. I just figured I would let the body mount bolts soak for a day in liquid wrench and then hope for the best when I installed.

Did anyone have to replace the body mount bushings?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
This: Ford Ranger Body Lift 3” – Tech Info Extravaganza






I suggest taking a wire wheel on a grinder to the ground extensions, radiator upper and lower drops, bed supports, and front bumper brackets. Then spray them with quality paint prior to doing your lift. I use John Deere Blitz Black in a rattle can. If you paint on top of the zinc coating, the paint tends to not stick. The end result is a FAR cleaner install.


You shouldn't have to even consider replacing cab bushings unless they are beyond usable. I don't recall anyone needing to....except for those that want to mod a truck with rusted out cab mounts on the frame.


MAPP gas until the bushing just start to smoke, then attack the bolt with an air impact gun.


Pretty much everything else you'd need info wise can be found in the sticky thread at the very top of the section you posted this thread in. See also: first sentence in this reply.

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 05-15-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
best thing to do is follow the instructions step by step. Don't skip over anything and put a checkmark next to each step to make sure you didn't forget anything. The "preparation" is what takes the longest imo. all the little tedious things to disconnect suck but it will ensure a smooth instal. I did my body lift by myself in 11 hours. Its not bad
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2012
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
I would recommend air tools. If you have access to them... get them. It would have saved me probably two-three hours when I installed on a 05 Ranger.

Like others have said, get a source of heat. It will help a ton.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2012
Toreador4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 3,958
Like everyone has said. follow the instructions to the letter and read the link that was posted. The last one i did took 4.5 hours with just my girlfriend and I doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
Thanks guys this is all a big help. I remember having to take off my skidpates when I did it on my Jimmy which seemed to serve no purpose at all. Would I have to take my skids off my ranger?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2012
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
If you have a front skid plate you should probably take it off. The rest of them there is no need to touch.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
if you need/want help im sure people would pitch in to give you a hand if they're free. my help was air tools, didn't need another person for it but it would of been easier, specially for the damn radiator relocation. that sucked
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador4x4 View Post
Like everyone has said. follow the instructions to the letter and read the link that was posted. The last one i did took 4.5 hours with just my girlfriend and I doing it.
I'll expand some...

Get familiar with the instructions. I did before I got to wrenching. You just ordered your kit so I assume you don't have them right now. You can download them from the linked thread I posted. Or you can download from PA for Summit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
I just got the lift today and I started looking through the instructions. Most of it seems similar to the one I did before but I was wondering about the bed crush blocks. What's the deal with these? are they necessary? The picture doesn't really show how they are put in so it is confusing and I looked at the Ford Ranger Body Lift 3” – Tech Info Extravaganza thread and it doesn't really say where exactly they go.

Last edited by Wingman108; 05-18-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-18-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman108 View Post
I just got the lift today and I started looking through the instructions. Most of it seems similar to the one I did before but I was wondering about the bed crush blocks. What's the deal with these? are they necessary? The picture doesn't really show how they are put in so it is confusing and I looked at the Ford Ranger Body Lift 3” – Tech Info Extravaganza thread and it doesn't really say where exactly they go.
they're used to support the center part of the bed when there is a load in it. I welded mine on so they're not going anywhere. I put ATV's, mulch, loam, motorcycles, etc in the back so I used them on both trucks.


just went out and snapped a pic. you can see 3 of the 4 here
Attached Thumbnails
Tips on installing my new body lift?-0f531379.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Welding them isn't required, even though the instructions say so. You can just place them where they need to go and tighten the bed bolts. They'll stay in place by the clamping force of the body and frame.


I actually don't even run them....and I've made scrap runs of 1200lb in the bed with no bed floor bowing. But it is wise to run them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
mine twisted sideways on my last truck with just tightening the bed and JB weld thats why i welded them. offroading twisted them lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-20-2012
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
Air tools make like much easier
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
they're used to support the center part of the bed when there is a load in it. I welded mine on so they're not going anywhere. I put ATV's, mulch, loam, motorcycles, etc in the back so I used them on both trucks.


just went out and snapped a pic. you can see 3 of the 4 here
thanks for the pic. that's good to know. now I know where to put these damn things haha.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
I was just looking through the directions again and it gave me 16 lift blocks...But there is only 12 body mounts right? are these just extra or am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2012
hosse's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bentleyville,PA.
Posts: 14
Newer Rangers have more bed bolts
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman108 View Post
I was just looking through the directions again and it gave me 16 lift blocks...But there is only 12 body mounts right? are these just extra or am I wrong?
First I've heard of 16 being included...

All kits before yours I've seen have 14. 6 for the cab + 6 for the bed + 2 for longbed. Generally folks have 2 extra blocks, bolts, and washers.

09+ Shortbeds have 10 mounting points. That would explain the 16 in your kit?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2012
Wingman108's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
First I've heard of 16 being included...

All kits before yours I've seen have 14. 6 for the cab + 6 for the bed + 2 for longbed. Generally folks have 2 extra blocks, bolts, and washers.

09+ Shortbeds have 10 mounting points. That would explain the 16 in your kit?
Maybe It's giving me blocks for the long bed and the extra two? I dunno. It is definitely the right kit because it has the right directions in it. I have an 02 so I would only need 12 right?

I'm looking at the weather for this week and It says Mon and Tuesday are the only two clear days and the rest they are predicting rain...I hate not having a garage! I'm so ready to put this lift on.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-11-2012
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman108 View Post
Maybe It's giving me blocks for the long bed and the extra two? I dunno. It is definitely the right kit because it has the right directions in it. I have an 02 so I would only need 12 right?

I'm looking at the weather for this week and It says Mon and Tuesday are the only two clear days and the rest they are predicting rain...I hate not having a garage! I'm so ready to put this lift on.
They are probably covering all bases....longbed(like they did before) and 09+ shortbeds. That way they don't have different part numbers and one kit fits more applications.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 Ranger 3" body lift tips, product endorsement? cummins ranger 1" & 3" Body Lifts 8 10-07-2010 11:18 PM
Any tips on installing new shocks? malydeen Suspension Tech 9 06-09-2009 06:52 PM
Installing new transfer case...any hints or tips? rideac1 Drivetrain Tech 10 01-12-2008 02:44 PM
Body lift install suggestions. Tips please. Fx4wannabe01 Exterior Semi-Tech 8 03-30-2007 11:51 AM
Body Lift Tips DeepBlue4x4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 34 05-20-2006 11:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.