whats the best intake - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech General discussion of 2.3L and 2.5L I4 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-07-2007
da lone ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua-Kona
Posts: 52
whats the best intake

yea so i have a 2001 2.3L 2wd and was woundering what is the best intake, like should i get K&N, AEM, or have any of you tried Weapon R intakes?
so yea can some one enlighten me on which intake to get that would be nice

Last edited by da lone ranger; 10-07-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Your OEM intake is the best, and it's even a CAI! The 3.0L and 4.0L use the same air filter as the 2.3L, which will flow way more air than the 2.3L will
pull. Don't throw your money away!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2007
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
I have a MAC CIA and I love it, there is definatly a boost in performance!.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01
I have a MAC CIA and I love it, there is definatly a boost in performance!.
More noise IS NOT more performance, they are not the same thing!

BUTT dynos are not accurate!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda
Your OEM intake is the best, and it's even a CAI! The 3.0L and 4.0L use the same air filter as the 2.3L, which will flow way more air than the 2.3L will
pull. Don't throw your money away!
ever look at the inside of a stock airtake tube?

i have a MAC and love it, you can notice power differences between the restrictive stock compared to the open element MAC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2007
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda
More noise IS NOT more performance, they are not the same thing!

BUTT dynos are not accurate!!!!
I don't see where I said anything about noise...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01
I don't see where I said anything about noise...
No you didn't, but that's usually what makes people think they get a performance increase, in reallity they don't.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslmn720
ever look at the inside of a stock airtake tube?

i have a MAC and love it, you can notice power differences between the restrictive stock compared to the open element MAC
Here we go again, more BUTT dyno reports!!! Just a test, try measuring a
vacuum in the stock intake, at high RPM, and WOT. If it is restrictive
at all, you should see a vacuum (which you won't, even if you block off half the air filter!)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
im not talking about dynos, im talking about the fact that i can chirp first gear with the MAC and not with the stock...

notice how the intake hole for the stock intake is about 2" where as an open element is the entire surface of the filter... i dont care if you have a 5ft filter, if the intake hole is only 2" thats all the air your going to get in at once...


and lets see your PROVEN facts and not just your OPINION
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslmn720

and lets see your PROVEN facts and not just your OPINION
Try the vacuum test I described.........

And another FACT, the air filter in the 2.3L is the same filter used in the
3.0L, and 4.0L.....Hopefully you understand the larger the engine displacement, the larger the volume of air the engine will pull.

However, this is a free country, and nobody is stopping you from throwing your money away. I just want to make sure youngsters don't get misled
about these worthless performance mods!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9825
Hey Bob!, I'm not one who bashes alot but I think I speak for alot of people when I say your getting on my nerves. Why do you even give a **** what we do to our trucks? it's our money and we all earned it one way or another, so why don't you do us all a favor a put a sock in it old man!!

Anyway, I have a K&N and saw 1mpg increase. More power, I don't know, never had it dyno'd after the intake. Make sure you do the exhaust so you take advantage of the intake. -Mike-
Hey Mikey, I guess you missed this in my last post:

"However, this is a free country, and nobody is stopping you from throwing your money away."

And in case you didn't know it, you can get more than 1 MPG just with changing driving habits!!

"More power, I don't know,..." Here we go again, another BUTT dyno


I've posted this before. Check it out, it is a truly independent dyno test of a
K&N with a 3.0L:

http://www.jackphelps.com/ranger/dyno1.htm

Last edited by Takeda; 10-07-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslmn720
notice how the intake hole for the stock intake is about 2" where as an open element is the entire surface of the filter... i dont care if you have a 5ft filter, if the intake hole is only 2" thats all the air your going to get in at once...

First, you could install a sewer pipe for an intake, and you won't get any additional airflow over the OEM intake!!

Second, you obviously don't understand the importance of air velocity aross
the MAF sensor for accurately measuring air flow. As soon as the intake diameter is increased, the air velocity drops.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 248
that test just showed the change with a drop-in filter. not a FULL intake so that test has no validity for what everyones talking about here.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 111
I guess this shows us "don't post anything about Ranger intakes and expect a nice thread to surface." lol

I have a K&N air filter, I still have the stock intake. Let's see if I can get a clean answer to this lol: What's everyone's opinion on these intakes?

Don't know what brand this one is but:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intak...ayphotohosting

This one is a K&N:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-97...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by dmety87; 10-09-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-13-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroctober16
that test just showed the change with a drop-in filter. not a FULL intake so that test has no validity for what everyones talking about here.
Go to the links home page. http://www.jackphelps.com/ranger/dyno1.htm

"God" I mean other peoples money have been pretty good to the 'ol preacher. I wouldn't take that persons word for anything. That dyno run has nothing to do with the origional post.

I have tattoos older than most on this forum and have never watched Jeapordy but I understand wanting to improve your vehicle either in looks or performance. Bob is not a people person and has an angry agenda...don't let him get to you.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-13-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmety87
I have a K&N air filter, I still have the stock intake. Let's see if I can get a clean answer to this lol: What's everyone's opinion on these intakes?
I'll put money on what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-13-2007
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda
Try the vacuum test I described.........

And another FACT, the air filter in the 2.3L is the same filter used in the
3.0L, and 4.0L.....Hopefully you understand the larger the engine displacement, the larger the volume of air the engine will pull.

However, this is a free country, and nobody is stopping you from throwing your money away. I just want to make sure youngsters don't get misled
about these worthless performance mods!!
Really.

So.. If I took readings from say.. digimoto ( digimoto.com ) with volumetric air measurements along with air charge temps.. You know, MAF and IAC readings from the OBD2 port.. and they just happened to show a bit better then a factory intake.. would it be a waste for myself to purchase such?

I will agree with you for a 2.3-4banger, the factory airbox is fine. One would be *lucky* to see a mere 10cfm difference in flow with an alledged ' performance ' one on *that* engine. ( I believe I saw 8.5 cfm's and less then 2 degrees air temp on Shawnas 03 XL when we installed hers ).

Just for grins.. I checked you link out..

"My results were pretty typical for a stock 3.0; peak rear-wheel horsepower was 124.7 at about 4600 rpm, and peak torque was 149.1 at about 3500 rpm. "

I was wondering why My 02 can't get outof its own way LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-13-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda
Second, you obviously don't understand the importance of air velocity aross
the MAF sensor for accurately measuring air flow. As soon as the intake diameter is increased, the air velocity drops.
How does that happen when the maf tube size remains the same?

You keep talking about a vacuum test, how does the average person on this forum do that? Your exact words...

"try measuring a vacuum in the stock intake, at high RPM, and WOT."

If it isn't a simple test that can be done with typical garage tools then you need to stop saying that. I want to see your results from the test. You must have them, you keep referring to the vacuum test and no "truly independent tests" either. The beauty of the Internet is if you look long enough you can find information to support anything. I want to see your test results from the vacuum tester you have.
Well....................
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963
How does that happen when the maf tube size remains the same?

You keep talking about a vacuum test, how does the average person on this forum do that? Your exact words...

"try measuring a vacuum in the stock intake, at high RPM, and WOT."

If it isn't a simple test that can be done with typical garage tools then you need to stop saying that. I want to see your results from the test. You must have them, you keep referring to the vacuum test and no "truly independent tests" either. The beauty of the Internet is if you look long enough you can find information to support anything. I want to see your test results from the vacuum tester you have.
Well....................
NO VACUUM MEASURED on a 3.0L, or 4.0L OHV!

As far as other independent performance mod testing, check this out:

First, notice that the 6.8L V-10 has the smallest area / liter of displacement air filter of any vehicle here:



Now, check out posts #5, and #7, these are truly independent tests of performance mods on a V-10

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...light=captchas

Notice the testing results here are based on actual dyno tests, not the

BUTT DYNO results that you keep claiming!!!! How about showing some
real test results, from somebody other than an after market air filter or
intake company!!!!!

Last edited by Takeda; 10-13-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-13-2007
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda
Nothing but lip music, where are your charts??????
ROFLMAO! He owns a shop and has had his hands on quite a few trucks from this site. Everything from paint to superchargers..

Last edited by D.; 10-13-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-14-2007
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
First off, you measure how much the intake sucks in by THE SMALLEST PART THAT AIR TRAVELS THROUGH. You know what that means? You measure our air silencer tube,

No, you are totally WRONG!!! You don't measure any vacuum in front of the throttle plate, so the silencer tube CAN'T BE THE SMALLEST PART THAT AIR TRAVELS THROUGH!! You have vacuum BEHIND the throttle plate!!!

This is how you verify that the OEM intake & filter ARE NOT RESTRICTIVE!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-14-2007
taknotes's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nc
Posts: 2,104
some of yall need to chill out, yall are being straight up ridiculous, who cares whos wrong or right, get over it..this is whats wrong with the world, no body cares about one another or what they say to each other, only care abouts whos right so they can have bragging rights, who gives a flying flip
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-14-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
I love watching people get stirred about this kind of thing. Its actually quite entertaining.
Watch this.

Here is an outstanding intake that is low price and works very well.
http://www.freewebs.com/arizonarider...madeintake.htm
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-14-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963
Watch this.

Here is an outstanding intake that is low price and works very well.
http://www.freewebs.com/arizonarider...madeintake.htm

He screwed up putting that header wrap on it. That stuff is instant itch!!!! All that stuff is is fiberglass and it seems to find its way into your skin no matter how much you try to avoid it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-14-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
He screwed up putting that header wrap on it. That stuff is instant itch!!!! All that stuff is is fiberglass and it seems to find its way into your skin no matter how much you try to avoid it.
He is me and there was no itch. That's funny. You're the first to say that. Maybe using the epoxy paint stopped the itch......oh no now I'm itching all over.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats a fair price for a K&N cold air intake for a 2.3L racemx904 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 7 09-01-2009 12:31 AM
Whats the best Spark Plugs Steve_O113 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 06-15-2007 05:41 PM
Finally can get exhaust :) but whats best??? GrafixGuy 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 33 06-01-2006 10:14 PM
Whats the best place for fog lights? FX2.3 General Technical & Electrical 4 08-21-2005 11:17 AM
Whats the best SQ 12in sub out there? straightedge Audio & Video Tech 41 07-26-2005 11:49 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.