Air filter - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-02-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
The K&N filter was developed for off road races like Baja. The OEM paper filter would plug up with dust in no time, the K&Ns wouldn't. Same amount of
dust, guess where the dust was going!!

Check out these topics:

Dusted turbos from a K&N

Hi Si in UOA with a K&N



I mentioned earlier K&N's warranty statement, they also came out with a
"Precharger Filter" for use in very dusty conditions....

http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

What more proof do you need that K&N knows how bad their filters are?

And if that wasn't enough, check out this "independent" air filter test:

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
hey num wit, I've pulled my intake off and throttle body after a month or 2 of use with the K&N Air filter and guess what? YOU'RE WRONG! That intake manifold, and throttlebody didn't have any oil,dirt or debris in it. Why don't you go somewhere else. If it was up to you none of us would be able to modify our trucks as we see fit. Last time I checked we're in The United States of America not in iraq so quit downing everyone who decided or are deciding wether or not to use stock. Plus anything that Duramax has to say I laugh at because when they did exp. on diesel engine those idiots tried to use an aluminum blocks and heads in diesel engine. Anybody with 1/2 of a brain knows that diesel fuel burns 10x hotter than gasoline and alot slower. So if you're willing to trust GM now that shows how little you know because they're a shade from going under.

Last edited by knightmare1015; 09-02-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
hey num wit, I've pulled my intake off and throttle body after a month or 2 of use with the K&N Air filter and guess what? YOU'RE WRONG! That intake manifold, and throttlebody didn't have any oil,dirt or debris in it. Why don't you go somewhere else. If it was up to you none of us would be able to modify our trucks as we see fit. Last time I checked we're in The United States of America not in iraq so quit downing everyone who decided or are deciding wether or not to use stock. Plus anything that Duramax has to say I laugh at because when they did exp. on diesel engine those idiots tried to use an aluminum blocks and heads in diesel engine. Anybody with 1/2 of a brain knows that diesel fuel burns 10x hotter than gasoline and alot slower. So if you're willing to trust GM now that shows how little you know because they're a shade from going under.


And this is from TRS..........

I love the guys that want "more filter area" from say... a "cone" filter, yes they have more area, but the original 2.9 filter element was the same size as the filter in the 225hp 5.0HO Mustangs.

Now, if that filter flowed enough air to feed a 5.0HO engine in what way was it "inadequate" to feed a 140hp 2.9 engine?

The same filter element size is used on the 4.0 trucks up to 1994.
In what way is a filter that'll feed a 160hp 4.0 inadequate to feed a 2.9?

I've seen people use the stock airbox (modified to flow in reverse)
with the VAM air meter of a 2.3Turbo.
I saw one guy with that setup do a dyno run that showed 270hp.
Ona STOCK 2.3/2.9/4.0 paper element.

The post above from 89REDRANGER has me near boiling point,
HE REMOVED the duct that fed air to the filter box and "likes"
his setup without it?

there's a word for that... let me see can I remember it?
Oh yeah... 89REDRANGER, Here's your sign!

that's as tactful as I'm willing to be on this topic.

ADDITIONALLY Removing the preheater stove from the exhaust manifold does NOTHING because it's controlled by a thermostat that cuts off the vacuum to the vacum pot that controls it, so it only actually does anything when the engine is cold and it speeds warmup I.E. (for the innumerable swarms of stupid people out there) it does nothing but HELP and does so by speeding engine warmup from a cold start.

I have a 4.0 with headers and yes, I installed my choke stove tube.

Someone I know created an airbox "spacer" by cutting the rim off the lid and base of an airbox the purpose of this was to allow him to "Stack" two air filters on top of each other, his primary purpose was to protect his turbocharger (a somewhat custom T3/4 hybred), but he realized that it would also serve as a demonstration platform.

So he BOUGHT (specific to his purpose) a K&N filter and installed it before the paper element.... to demonstrate how much crap the K&N DID NOT catch.
this is demonstrated by just how quickly the paper element, "protected"
by the K&N becomes filthy.


Oh, BTW, the reason my brother the Ford Senior Master Diesel
Tech LOVES K&N filter?
Because when he finds one in a truck it's an instant "Warrantee denied" which means he gets paid at a higher rate for the repair.
The difference is several dollars an hour.

My brother believes that every dollar spent on a K&N for a Ford with a diesel makes some lucky technician $2-$3.

AD





You haven't backed up a single thing you have said, ........only lip music!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-02-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 View Post
Whoa! I wouldn't say "the best. bar none". Thats a pretty big boast. There are many comparable products out there, K&N has just been around longer.
Well that's just my opin. I should've used a better statement, like one of the best. AEM is pretty good though.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-02-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
And this is from TRS..........

I love the guys that want "more filter area" from say... a "cone" filter, yes they have more area, but the original 2.9 filter element was the same size as the filter in the 225hp 5.0HO Mustangs.

Now, if that filter flowed enough air to feed a 5.0HO engine in what way was it "inadequate" to feed a 140hp 2.9 engine?

The same filter element size is used on the 4.0 trucks up to 1994.
In what way is a filter that'll feed a 160hp 4.0 inadequate to feed a 2.9?

I've seen people use the stock airbox (modified to flow in reverse)
with the VAM air meter of a 2.3Turbo.
I saw one guy with that setup do a dyno run that showed 270hp.
Ona STOCK 2.3/2.9/4.0 paper element.

The post above from 89REDRANGER has me near boiling point,
HE REMOVED the duct that fed air to the filter box and "likes"
his setup without it?

there's a word for that... let me see can I remember it?
Oh yeah... 89REDRANGER, Here's your sign!

that's as tactful as I'm willing to be on this topic.

ADDITIONALLY Removing the preheater stove from the exhaust manifold does NOTHING because it's controlled by a thermostat that cuts off the vacuum to the vacum pot that controls it, so it only actually does anything when the engine is cold and it speeds warmup I.E. (for the innumerable swarms of stupid people out there) it does nothing but HELP and does so by speeding engine warmup from a cold start.

I have a 4.0 with headers and yes, I installed my choke stove tube.

Someone I know created an airbox "spacer" by cutting the rim off the lid and base of an airbox the purpose of this was to allow him to "Stack" two air filters on top of each other, his primary purpose was to protect his turbocharger (a somewhat custom T3/4 hybred), but he realized that it would also serve as a demonstration platform.

So he BOUGHT (specific to his purpose) a K&N filter and installed it before the paper element.... to demonstrate how much crap the K&N DID NOT catch.
this is demonstrated by just how quickly the paper element, "protected"
by the K&N becomes filthy.


Oh, BTW, the reason my brother the Ford Senior Master Diesel
Tech LOVES K&N filter?
Because when he finds one in a truck it's an instant "Warrantee denied" which means he gets paid at a higher rate for the repair.
The difference is several dollars an hour.

My brother believes that every dollar spent on a K&N for a Ford with a diesel makes some lucky technician $2-$3.

AD





You haven't backed up a single thing you have said, ........only lip music!!
That's it. I have not changed my air box or tube I just used an O.E.M replacement K&N Filter only. The filter doesn't lose any oil tick terd. If it did why is it still a MAROON COLOR AFTER REMOVAL with dirt and bugs trapped in the filter? You haven't backed a thing up at all. where's the links at? where is your info coming from? PS. I didn't change the air filter until AFTER my warranty expired. besides it's my truck as to what I do with it is my busniess. The same with everyone else. I just gave my opinion as to what he can use if he decides to use it fine who's stopping him. If I decided to change my intake manifolds that's my business not yours. So go away. here's a link you might want to look at: www.cnbc.com or www.msn.com look up Tv shows and articles call "Saving GM". It aired last night on CNBC. They've closed down 4 plants in the last year, payed $30K to UAW to get out the union, and you're willing to trust one of their certified techs?

Last edited by knightmare1015; 09-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
That's it. I have not changed my air box or tube I just used an O.E.M replacement K&N Filter only. The filter doesn't lose any oil tick terd. If it did why is it still a MAROON COLOR AFTER REMOVAL with dirt and bugs trapped in the filter? You haven't backed a thing up at all. where's the links at? where is your info coming from? PS. I didn't change the air filter until AFTER my warranty expired.
Do you need me to do the search on dusted turbos, and high Si in UOA with K&N filters for you? You obviously don't know how!!!


You want links, here are a couple.....

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=20263


http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=21168



Now, let's see yours!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-02-2008
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
Damn you Takeda, making me question my K&N again!!! lol
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
That's it. I have not changed my air box or tube I just used an O.E.M replacement K&N Filter only. The filter doesn't lose any oil tick terd. If it did why is it still a MAROON COLOR AFTER REMOVAL with dirt and bugs trapped in the filter? You haven't backed a thing up at all. where's the links at?

Here ya go, this link tells the story of your technical abilities (or lack of):



https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=58919


And here is a real beauty!!!!!!

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=58358

Last edited by Takeda; 09-02-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-02-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
K&N intake is fine. No problems in 3+years of running mine, at all.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-02-2008
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
Takeda,

What filter do you run?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-02-2008
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
Fight Fight Fight!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-02-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach2004 View Post
Fight Fight Fight!!!!!
Obama and a white!

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by seed60 View Post
Takeda,

What filter do you run?
Check this out, it is a previous post:

Sometime ago I posted the picture of my Ranger turning over 150K miles. Today, I changed the oil in it, and thought it was
interesting to see the color of the oil (at 3877 miles), and how much it has consumed. In the pictures, the screwdriver shows
where the oil level was the last time it was changed, using 4.5 QUARTS. There has been no oil added since it was
changed. I bought the truck with 36K miles on it, and since owning it, I've always maintained it myself, using the following:


1) Motorcraft or Purolator PAPER air filters (changed once a year)
2) ONLY Motorcraft oil filters, changed every oil change
2) Castrol GTX 5W30 (dino), changed between 3K and 4K miles




Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-02-2008
schatten789's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Matagorda County, Texas
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
And besides that, K&N knows the damage that their filters can cause, or they wouldn't put this statement in their warranty on their website:

"K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter."

I am thinking that they say that in the warranty because so many people over oil the filters. When someone over oils the filter then the oil gets on the sensors and messes them up.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-03-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Do you need me to do the search on dusted turbos, and high Si in UOA with K&N filters for you? You obviously don't know how!!!


You want links, here are a couple.....

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=20263


http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=21168



Now, let's see yours!!!!
Look Takeda or Bob or what ever your name is, I don't care what you have to say like I said I just offered the man a viable option wether he does it or not is his business ok. Not yours or mine. The O.E.M is a restricted air filter and K&N are not the only ones that agree with the statement either. so here are a couple of other manufacturers you might want to look at: www.aempower.com they also make air filters too. Not mention Volant, Fram air hogs, better than that just got to these other links: www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com . oh here's another you might want to consider too, www.holley.com . ask everyone of their tech reps via email or phone call what they have to say and see what happens when you tell them all of this B.S. you've said. They will laugh for sure. Plus if anyone doesn't have any tech skills it's you.

Last edited by knightmare1015; 09-03-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-03-2008
elementsenjoi's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 352 Florida
Posts: 1,301
All of those links you just posted are links to places that want your money, of course they will tell you that their stuff works. those are the same people that try to sell Tornadoes and throttle body spacers. i completely agree with Takeda about the whole K&N situation. if a filter will allow for more flow of air then it will allow for more flow of dirt. you want more flow? Take your air filter out then you don't have any restrictions.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-03-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementsenjoi View Post
All of those links you just posted are links to places that want your money, of course they will tell you that their stuff works. those are the same people that try to sell Tornadoes and throttle body spacers. i completely agree with Takeda about the whole K&N situation. if a filter will allow for more flow of air then it will allow for more flow of dirt. you want more flow? Take your air filter out then you don't have any restrictions.
Yes, and if you read Knightmare's posts, he actually bought a Tornadoe!!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-03-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Look Takeda or Bob or what ever your name is, I don't care what you have to say like I said I just offered the man a viable option wether he does it or not is his business ok. Not yours or mine. The O.E.M is a restricted air filter and K&N are not the only ones that agree with the statement either. so here are a couple of other manufacturers you might want to look at: www.aempower.com they also make air filters too. Not mention Volant, Fram air hogs, better than that just got to these other links: www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com . oh here's another you might want to consider too, www.holley.com . ask everyone of their tech reps via email or phone call what they have to say and see what happens when you tell them all of this B.S. you've said. They will laugh for sure. Plus if anyone doesn't have any tech skills it's you.
The OEM is not a restrictive air filter, it has been proven time and time again. You have no clue what your talking about.

Now I love after market parts but when I'm pulling 75 degrees cold air thru my intake with stock everything and my buddy with a 01 3.0 with the K&N intake setup is pulling in 150 degrees there is something terribly wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-03-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
The OEM is not a restrictive air filter, it has been proven time and time again. You have no clue what your talking about.

Now I love after market parts but when I'm pulling 75 degrees cold air thru my intake with stock everything and my buddy with a 01 3.0 with the K&N intake setup is pulling in 150 degrees there is something terribly wrong.

Trent, I consider the source! I'm not surprised at this guy, anybody that doesn't understand the difference in advanced or retarded ignition timing,
and would buy a Tornado, would believe the K&N BS!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-03-2008
DillonT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 352
idk any positive facts, but my ranger doesnt go offroad and its had a k&n since we got it in 01'. there has been no problems. I also have a k&n in my ATV and i think it stops more dirt the the oem one. before the k&n there would be dirt after the filter on the tube tworard the carb and with the k&n as long as i keep it clean and oiled that doesnt happen. I also put a k&n in my 5.0 mustang and it had increased gas mileagem, and we had the same thing happen in both of my parents cars.
like i said, i dont have any facts, but in my experience the k&n has been great.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-03-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Of course your going to get better gas mileage, its because you had a dirty filter to begin with. The biggest problem with K&N is that people over oil them, its not K&Ns fault that the filters screw up there MAFs. If K&N had a full heat shield I'd defn run mine on my truck, those suckers look sweet.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementsenjoi View Post
All of those links you just posted are links to places that want your money, of course they will tell you that their stuff works. those are the same people that try to sell Tornadoes and throttle body spacers. i completely agree with Takeda about the whole K&N situation. if a filter will allow for more flow of air then it will allow for more flow of dirt. you want more flow? Take your air filter out then you don't have any restrictions.
Well both of you do make a valid point about that. All I was saying is that alot of people buy K&N and those places I mentioned yes, but it doesn't matter in the long run because even with a stock air filter or an aftermarket you're still going to get dirt and debris in there. K&N put that on their products because people were over oiling them. In fact I think I seen someone post a photo somewhere and said they used a WHOLE CAN OF FILTER OIL on the filter in 1 recharge. That was dumb and K&N did get sued but the evidence showed other wise. of course that's what happens when you don't read or follow instructions too. AEM doesn't use oil or cotton gauze they use foam. they call it dry flow. Plus I only use what works. Plus some cat tried to sell me a TB spacer. I laughed and hanged up on him today.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Of course your going to get better gas mileage, its because you had a dirty filter to begin with. The biggest problem with K&N is that people over oil them, its not K&Ns fault that the filters screw up there MAFs. If K&N had a full heat shield I'd defn run mine on my truck, those suckers look sweet.
Yep. I forgot where I seen it but one cat sued K&N and sent in the filter to them. They called laughing and said he'd voided the warranty. he took them to court and Lost. K&N showed the filter and said he used A WHOLE CAN OF FILTER OIL IN 1 RECHARGE out of the kit. I usually get 12 recharges out of 1 kit. The judge laughed and said read the instructions next time. Then he threw it out.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-04-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
It says in the instructions to stop when you don't see any white. I don't get how you could keep going unless you are a total retard.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air intake, air cooler, sealed filter??? Taylor_Patrick General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 09-16-2012 11:07 PM
cabin air filter rangermark General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 05-19-2009 04:24 PM
How to decide how much to reoil a K&N air filter jmacmaster General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 05-31-2005 04:06 PM
K&N Air Filter? Huntress 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 9 03-13-2005 02:34 PM
adding a cone air filter TippnOver 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 20 03-09-2005 12:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.