CHICK NEEDS HELP- I'm running WAY TOO RICH! - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 12-03-2008
Bryan22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lancaster, ca
Posts: 211
If you're just gonna go throw money away on parts that you dont know are bad you might as well take it to a shop. I had the original o2 sensor on my 94 for 220xxx miles before i replaced it, and it really didn't change anything. As someone else said earlier, too much fuel is likely due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure where it's located on your truck, but on my 2.3 it's on the fuel rail. Check for raw fuel in the vaccum line running to the regulator, raw fuel in the line is a surely bad FPR. If theres no fuel in the line try to get ahold of a guage to check the fuel pressure at the rail. you also might check that the EGR valve is functioning properly by applying vaccum to it with a hand pump. When vaccum is applied the truck should bog way down. Also i'm not sure if you 98 is equipt with a DPFE (differential pressure feedback sensor for the egr system) It would be a small box either metal or black plastic with 2 silicone based hoses running to the exhaust manifold and an electrical plug. These are a high failure rate item and would cause some of the symptoms you're describing. Unfourtunately there is no way I know of to test them. If you could 'borrow' one out of a friends truck for a test run i'd reccommend it, again that is IF your truck is equipt with one.
EDIT- Just read over this again and saw you already noted there was no fuel in the line going to the FPR. I'd still reccommend finding the right guage and checking the pressure.-EDIT

Last edited by Bryan22; 12-03-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-06-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
I am going to just replace the fuel pressure regulator if i get the codes again.

The DPFE is already changed but i still throw codes. Also, pcv is changed, hopefully check engine light does not come on tonite.

no fuel was in the line and it has suction, but we will see.

thanks for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-06-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
and seafoam added. haha.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-10-2008
Bryan22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lancaster, ca
Posts: 211
how's it run? you solve ur problems?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-11-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
No...but I found out it was the fuel pressure reg...like you mentioned...or at least that's what the mechanic said. Unfortunately, Ford does not make the FPR anymore and the aftermarket mfgrs screwed something up because the replacement looks nothing like one sitting in the rail of the truck. WTF!!!!???

I think I have to search the junk yards. Hopefully this will solve my problems because the truck is running like poo and sucking down a tank of gas every other day!!!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-11-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
did you try rockauto?

www.rockauto.com
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 767
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6124
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6120
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?FPD22.html

Which part did they try to sell you that looks different?

As long as it fits and connects, it should be equivalent, even if it looks different. Many manufacturers change the appearance of a part but it functions the same. One example is the DPFE (which you replaced). OEM was pot-metal but now they are all plastic and look different.

Don't get a JY part.



EDIT: Dang, Zach - great minds think alike? Humble, too!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-12-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
Here is the route of my problem: Ford No Longer makes "Fuel Pressure Dampers" (versus a regulator) for my vehicle and there are no generics. It is an obsolete part. Seems that a damper, which is cheaper than a regulator, resulted in major problems for Ford. Ford had a recall on the part because the o-rings in these babies break resulting in a fuel leak. Trucks would burst into flames! Anyone remember the Ford Pinto fiasco? I'm sitting in the truck version.

I finally found a warehouse that has a few dampers left over and I ordered my part for 67 bucks.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-12-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl43P View Post
One example is the DPFE (which you replaced). OEM was pot-metal but now they are all plastic and look different.
Oh I know, I replaced the DPFE myself a while ago.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-12-2008
Bryan22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lancaster, ca
Posts: 211
Glad you found the problem. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-18-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
I'm really starting to hate Ford...and i really hate DUMB parts people. I'm sorry those dumb people feel so insecure around me but that's no reason to try and sell me a part that belongs to a VW because "it sorta looks like what you got". "DUDE, just because it looks similar in shape, does not mean it's going to provide the right amount of fuel to my motor and I don't want to **** around anymore."

And the chicks that work at the parts stores are DUMB and UGLY, trying to act like they're hot just because they're the only chick in sight for 8 hours. the part price changed 4 times because the dumbass kept inputting wrong information and then blamed it on the computer.

That 70 dollar unrefundable fuel damper, no longer manufactured by Ford, that I had to run by my VIN number and Ford Part number by FORD DEALERS, turned out to be the wrong part. The parts guy will not refund me either. I told him I relied on information from his parts department that ran my vin so I could specifically get the part i needed to FIT! Wrong information on their part, resulted in a part that does not fit my truck. How is it my fault? He didn't care and walked away.

Anyhow, I found a used rail w/ damper for a 3.0 and I just dropped it off at my mechanic. Hopefully this fixes the problem because i'm shooting out carbon so badly I hit the cars driving next to me and leave a nice black bullseye.

I'm sorry to say, but I think I'm going back to imports after this experience...not that the truck is so difficult, but FORD, FORD PARTS, and Customer Service just suck. At this rate, I think Ford will be no more in 5 years anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-18-2008
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alie View Post
That 70 dollar unrefundable fuel damper, no longer manufactured by Ford, that I had to run by my VIN number and Ford Part number by FORD DEALERS, turned out to be the wrong part. The parts guy will not refund me either. I told him I relied on information from his parts department that ran my vin so I could specifically get the part i needed to FIT! Wrong information on their part, resulted in a part that does not fit my truck. How is it my fault? He didn't care and walked away.
Hmm... at first I was gonna suggest going to a manager. Working in a parts department myself not only do we do what we can to make the customer happy but if it's our fault it's our fault and that's a fact of life.

All car manufacturers are the same... there are people that love 'em and people who hate 'em and there are people who know their sh*t and people who don't. Ford isn't going anywhere so you can love it or hate it and buy a vehicle accordingly but you're always going to run into that situation no matter what brand you drive......

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-18-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
maybe try another dealership? i cant say i have ever had problems with the parts department.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-18-2008
Sea-Bass's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alie View Post
I'm really starting to hate Ford...and i really hate DUMB parts people. I'm sorry those dumb people feel so insecure around me but that's no reason to try and sell me a part that belongs to a VW because "it sorta looks like what you got". "DUDE, just because it looks similar in shape, does not mean it's going to provide the right amount of fuel to my motor and I don't want to **** around anymore."

And the chicks that work at the parts stores are DUMB and UGLY, trying to act like they're hot just because they're the only chick in sight for 8 hours. the part price changed 4 times because the dumbass kept inputting wrong information and then blamed it on the computer.

That 70 dollar unrefundable fuel damper, no longer manufactured by Ford, that I had to run by my VIN number and Ford Part number by FORD DEALERS, turned out to be the wrong part. The parts guy will not refund me either. I told him I relied on information from his parts department that ran my vin so I could specifically get the part i needed to FIT! Wrong information on their part, resulted in a part that does not fit my truck. How is it my fault? He didn't care and walked away.

Anyhow, I found a used rail w/ damper for a 3.0 and I just dropped it off at my mechanic. Hopefully this fixes the problem because i'm shooting out carbon so badly I hit the cars driving next to me and leave a nice black bullseye.

I'm sorry to say, but I think I'm going back to imports after this experience...not that the truck is so difficult, but FORD, FORD PARTS, and Customer Service just suck. At this rate, I think Ford will be no more in 5 years anyhow.
LOL!! at your rant, not your situation. The parts guys are the same towards all of us, most of them are just idiots who think they know about cars. I agree, most of them are useless, next time you need a Ford specific part post a thread on here, there are some guys who work for Ford and they can make sure about the part and even get it for you at cost in most cases. Most Ford parts departments are useless, I'm lucky, the one down the street from my office is top notch, but I have dealt with some that are in fact useless. First thing you need to do is talk to the owner or the parts supervisor, be nice, and explain the situation to him/her, go above the person that refused to refund you your money.

My 01 Ranger had a ton of problems, the motor tanked at 13,000 miles, after the rebuild( I begged them to put a new motor in it, after seeing the bill the dealership was sending to Ford I couldn't believe they wouldn't just give me a new motor, the warranty work papers had prices on it that came to a little over 4k) I had to take it back 13 times, Ford refused to give me another vehicle and the dealership acted like they didn't want anything to do with me. So, I got a lawyer, I sued Ford and won or I guess you could say we came to an agreement, this is the reason I have my current 04 Ranger, 88,000 miles with no problems, the 01 was just one of those vehicles. I do not deal with that dealership anymore and never will, so just try some other dealership.

Last edited by Sea-Bass; 12-18-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-18-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
Who knows, maybe its the sucky NY-NJ tristate mentality, but I never had this problem with Honda or Nissan, even as far back as Datsun. Sure dealers always try to pull a fast one, but they never were unable to provide a part or the right information or defraud me.

I mean, c'mon, I've contacted at least 13 FORD DEALERS and 7 aftermarket dealers. They all have incorrect information or tried selling me the wrong part even after I dragged their asses outside and under my hood to look at the part.

That's really poor customer service, but go figure Ford plants are closing up everywhere. It's not surprising my part is not made anymore during a time when domestics auto makers need bail outs.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-18-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
arg....replaced the rail and the fuel pressure regulator and 4 miles later...the check engine light came back on.

**** me.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-18-2008
RiverviewRangers's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: riverview,fl
Posts: 22
Hows the truck runing now?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-18-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverviewRangers View Post
Hows the truck runing now?
Still runs like poop.

Its getting worse, no power at all, i step on the throttle and the truck goes no where, shifts hard, and still shooting carbon out the exhaust.

It's still running rich. I still have a problem with the fuel system...but its not the regulator.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-18-2008
Pless215's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dewy Rose, GA
Posts: 473
i haven't read the whole thread but if the truck keeps getting weaker and weaker, then you should get the truck hooked to a diagnostic computer and have the catalytic converter checked if you haven't already.

again, sorry if you already have just didn't feel like reading the whole thread
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-18-2008
Motorcraft's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Franklin MA
Posts: 240
Ok so you cleaned the MAF/IAC replaced the DFPE Sensor and replaced your fuel pressure reg... I think its your MAF in need of replacement. Other things that could possible cause an issue for you could be a bad EGR valve. I had a truck doing about the same as yours a couple of days ago in work. I replaced the EGR valve and IAC and it ran mint after that. I still have to replace his intake but thats because he washed a hot engine with cold water and thats owner stupidity. If you lived closed i would say bring it by my shop and i would take a look at it for you but your in NJ and im in CT./



also try just disco-ing your exhaust system before the cats and see how she runs.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-19-2008
Alie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pless215 View Post
i haven't read the whole thread but if the truck keeps getting weaker and weaker, then you should get the truck hooked to a diagnostic computer and have the catalytic converter checked if you haven't already.

again, sorry if you already have just didn't feel like reading the whole thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcraft View Post
Ok so you cleaned the MAF/IAC replaced the DFPE Sensor and replaced your fuel pressure reg... I think its your MAF in need of replacement. Other things that could possible cause an issue for you could be a bad EGR valve. I had a truck doing about the same as yours a couple of days ago in work. I replaced the EGR valve and IAC and it ran mint after that. I still have to replace his intake but thats because he washed a hot engine with cold water and thats owner stupidity. If you lived closed i would say bring it by my shop and i would take a look at it for you but your in NJ and im in CT.

also try just disco-ing your exhaust system before the cats and see how she runs.
I think I may just have the dealer run a diag and shell out the hundreds.

Just as a recap, I, Alie:

1. cleaned MAF (drove around with MAF off/ unplugged, still ran rich)
2. replaced ERG valve
3. replaced ECT aka engine coolant temp sensor, still runs rich
4. replaced air filter
5. replace entire fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator
6. replaced pcv
7. cleaned iac
8. cleaned and inspected intake manifold
9. replaced plugs and wires
10. replaced upstream bank 2 o2 sensor (still got running rich signal)
11. checked suction to fuel pressure regulator, no fuel and sucked nicely
12. replaced DPFE sensor
13. inspected vacuum hoses for cracks
14. inspected exhaust for leaks
15. tranny flush and filter change
16. ran seafoam andi keep running seafoam and injector cleaner through fuel system

I will try disconnecting my cat.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-19-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
after reading all of this, i would say a tps would fix your problem. its a cheap part readily available at any parts house.... get one and stick it on there.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-19-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 767
You never checked the FP, so you have no way of condemning fuel delivery being the problem. Post fuel pressure psi at idle and at rpm.

You could also get a vaccum guage put on to verify that is good @ idle and rpm.

I can't argue about the TPS, but you can certainly test it with a meter FOR FREE.... link below.

You still can't rule out MAF either, but I too would look elsewhere for now, since there was no change with it disconnected.

I don't recall seeing IAT on the list (did see ECT), it's easily tested too, with a meter and a hair dryer.

You didn't mention how you are pulling the codes. Many scanners offer real-time readings of sensors (ScanguageII, for example) that may show you the problem.

I believe MAF has the most authority over injector dwell time. TPS, IAT, ECT, rpm and O2's all come into play. From a logical standpoint, your PCM either believes engine is very cold from a bad air or coolant temp sensor, or your foot is on the pedal, bad TPS, or a LOT of air is flowing through the intake, bad MAF.

You can get smarter over here: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=30
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=31
http://www.autoshop101.com/

Good luck. We have faith that you'll figure it out. Check those HEGO fuses!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-19-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl43P View Post
You never checked the FP, so you have no way of condemning fuel delivery being the problem. Post fuel pressure psi at idle and at rpm.

You could also get a vaccum guage put on to verify that is good @ idle and rpm.

I can't argue about the TPS, but you can certainly test it with a meter FOR FREE.... link below.

You still can't rule out MAF either, but I too would look elsewhere for now, since there was no change with it disconnected.

I don't recall seeing IAT on the list (did see ECT), it's easily tested too, with a meter and a hair dryer.

You didn't mention how you are pulling the codes. Many scanners offer real-time readings of sensors (ScanguageII, for example) that may show you the problem.

I believe MAF has the most authority over injector dwell time. TPS, IAT, ECT, rpm and O2's all come into play. From a logical standpoint, your PCM either believes engine is very cold from a bad air or coolant temp sensor, or your foot is on the pedal, bad TPS, or a LOT of air is flowing through the intake, bad MAF.

You can get smarter over here: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=30
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=31
http://www.autoshop101.com/

Good luck. We have faith that you'll figure it out. Check those HEGO fuses!
i cant argue with any of that, but she said it was shifting hard and had no power. every time that i have seen an issue with both of those symptoms, it was the tps. this is something i have seen several times. i have had tps's that would ohm fine(or so it seemed) but still act up. the throttle blade bushings could cause a faulty tps reading as well... just going on what i have seen first hand.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-19-2008
Bryan22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lancaster, ca
Posts: 211
I'm still suspecting the FPR, or damper, whatever it is that regulates pressure at the rail. Getting a used one dosen't really prove anything. You need to borrow a guage and check the fuel pressure to see what's going on at the rail before you rule it out. I doubt the cat is the problem. Honestly, If I were you i'd take it to a profesional before you throw any more money at it than you allready have. As your wallet can tell you, your going about fixing this thing in the most expensive way possible. Tests are free. Replacing properly operating parts is not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still running too rich,low idle, smoking because of it bsan84 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 1 03-04-2015 05:00 PM
help!! engine running too rich panzer 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 25 09-13-2013 11:36 AM
O2 Sensor / System too Rich Fault Codes, Seems to be running fine?? metallicamaster3 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 1 12-23-2012 08:20 PM
OBDII Code PO175 Running too rich bank 2 67yankee 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 4 11-01-2010 10:54 PM
HELP!! 87 Ranger running too rich. HELP!!!!!!! Snow Wolf SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 20 09-04-2007 10:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.