Installed a 60mm Throttle Body - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-01-2007
tex tex is offline
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 79
Installed a 60mm Throttle Body

I snagged a 2003 Escape throttle body while I was at the junkyard picking up a bumper cover for my sister's Honda. It is the 60mm one from the 3.0 Duratec. For $20 (with a TPS) I thought I couldn't go wrong. I finished the installation yesterday and I can't believe the difference this made in throttle response and acceleration! Engine revs much, much quicker and pulls up to 6000 without a hitch. The CAI sounds much louder now too.

I have one of those older G-Tech units and I'll post HP increases later.

Halfway through the install, I thought about taking pics but it was too late. This LINK shows the process pretty well. I ported the upper intake opening up to right at 60mm too - a 2 1/4" hole saw fit through the opening. Filing and sanding the JB Weld flat and the porting were tedious and time consuming, but the results were well worth it. Also, I didn't make a gasket like the guy in the link. I used some mil-spec RTV I had from work. No check engine light, no idle issues, just better breathing and more power.

Anyway, it's a fairly cheap mod that makes noticeable power difference. The throttle body complimented the other mods on my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2007
Biz's Avatar
Biz Biz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: los angeles,California
Posts: 2,120
humm is it hard to install a throttle body spacer?..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2007
01edgeranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 73
you have composite or cast iron intake?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2007
EdGe_wannabe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
Posts: 4,306
Do they make any for the 4.0?

Brenton
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2007
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz
humm is it hard to install a throttle body spacer?..
A throttle body spacer is a complete waste of time on a long plenum, sidedraft intake system. Don't waste your money.

A full TB replacement like Jeff has done though could be. I did the 1/2 shaft mod to my TB and it also made quite a difference. I've considered this mod as well.

I'd be interested to hear what the G-Tech meter has to say about your current performance vs. prior to the mod. Thanks for the information on the mod.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2007
tex tex is offline
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 79
My upper intake is composite (plastic). Like n3elz said, don't bother with a throttle body spacer.

I don't know about an equivalent mod for the 4.0, there's bound to be something similar though.

n3elz, I had done the half shaft mod on my original throttle body and noticed that 5% or so made a difference too. The 60mm throttle body made quite a difference over the half shaft. There is a fairly large restriction on the intake mouth that gets removed whenever it's ported out to allow for the new TB. I think that is where a good portion of the power increase comes from. The truck drives much better now. Part throttle response is great - it just seems peppier (if that's a word). Looking back, I would have done this mod first. It's made even more difference than the exhaust, efan, UD pulley, tuner, and CAI. It could be that the TB is the icing on the cake so to speak.

I'll post the G-Tech numbers this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2007
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Tex, do you have an intake system too? I'm using a high flow filter and opened air box and MAF mod, but still using the stock intake tube. I've been flirting with the idea of making a better intake tube (probably griggs-rigged from PVC or Butyl pipe, lol...)

Edit: Read your signature and see "adapted MAC" intake, but I'm not sure what that entails.

Last edited by n3elz; 01-02-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2007
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
nice mod...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2007
tex tex is offline
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 79
I do have a MAC air intake. I have a 2004 which has a different design for the MAF. The 2004+ 3.0 engines have the MAF molded into the air filter housing. When I bought my MAC intake, an eBay special for $50 shipped, they didn't offer systems for the newer MAF design. I chopped out the MAF from a spare airbox and mounted it to the MAC supplied MAF\air filter plate. It's been working great for over a year and it's much cheaper than the 2004 K&N specific FIPK. Plus, it's shiny. I fabbed up a little aluminum box around the filter that seals to the hood and radiator support to keep heated engine bay air separate. Also, I'm not using the oiled cotton cone filter. I have one of the newer Amsoil universal filters, I think Amsoil calls them the EaAU series or some such - I can verify if you're interested. The dang filter cost more than the entire intake system, but it's somewhat cool technology (gotta love nanofibers!) and didn't adversely affect HP. They're much more efficient than the oiled cotton filters. I have G-Tech generated HP numbers for the each mod I've done along the way. The air intake setup (before the TB swap) was worth 6HP.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2007
Biz's Avatar
Biz Biz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: los angeles,California
Posts: 2,120
i need a intake on my 3.0 i have a 95..but i cant seem to find one..do they even make one?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGe_wannabe
Do they make any for the 4.0?

Brenton
BBK makes a 66mm throttle body for the 4.0 OHV, but not the SOHC...i dont believe that anyone makes one for the SOHC.....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2007
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I do have a MAC air intake. I have a 2004 which has a different design for the MAF. The 2004+ 3.0 engines have the MAF molded into the air filter housing. When I bought my MAC intake, an eBay special for $50 shipped, they didn't offer systems for the newer MAF design. I chopped out the MAF from a spare airbox and mounted it to the MAC supplied MAF\air filter plate. It's been working great for over a year and it's much cheaper than the 2004 K&N specific FIPK. Plus, it's shiny. I fabbed up a little aluminum box around the filter that seals to the hood and radiator support to keep heated engine bay air separate. Also, I'm not using the oiled cotton cone filter. I have one of the newer Amsoil universal filters, I think Amsoil calls them the EaAU series or some such - I can verify if you're interested. The dang filter cost more than the entire intake system, but it's somewhat cool technology (gotta love nanofibers!) and didn't adversely affect HP. They're much more efficient than the oiled cotton filters. I have G-Tech generated HP numbers for the each mod I've done along the way. The air intake setup (before the TB swap) was worth 6HP.
Ha ha! I have exactly the same filter. I like it a lot.

Very good, thanks for all the information!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2007
gearhead299's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 391
couple of questions:
First: what is the half shaft mod and how does it help?

Second: The escape throttle body is larger than the ranger TB? it bolts up the same but requires that the intake plenum is ported to match the throttle body right? how did you do the porting?

just trying to gather some information because i have been looking for a way to add a larger less restrictive throttle body but could not find and aftermarket replacement
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2007
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
See here: http://www.rogueperformance.com/Uppe...anifold.html#e

This is for older Rangers, but the principle is the same even if your TB looks different.

I also had to grind the throttle stop to allow the plate to go fully horizontal and maximize flow.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-03-2007
tex tex is offline
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead299
couple of questions:
First: what is the half shaft mod and how does it help?

Second: The escape throttle body is larger than the ranger TB? it bolts up the same but requires that the intake plenum is ported to match the throttle body right? how did you do the porting?

just trying to gather some information because i have been looking for a way to add a larger less restrictive throttle body but could not find and aftermarket replacement
Here's another link showing the half shaft mod: LINK
I would use countersunk screws like the ones in the link John gave you.

I used a die grinder with a carbide burr and then followed by using a dremel with sanding drums to smooth everything out. The intake is plastic, so it's pretty easy to hog it out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2007
gearhead299's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 391
thanks for the info guys!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle cable on throttle body, how do i remove? insistent 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 08-11-2014 03:37 PM
Throttle body/ Throttle Body Spacer??? dangelj316 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 34 11-17-2007 01:41 AM
60mm Ford Escape Throttle Body Marcaronio 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 2 06-20-2007 03:19 PM
3.0 throttle body spacers? 3.slow 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 18 06-01-2007 08:49 PM
Throttle Body Spacers? PharmRanger4x4 General Technical & Electrical 3 04-08-2005 10:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.