Please help HORRENDOUS gas mileage - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-13-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seaside, OR
Posts: 4
Icon4 Please help HORRENDOUS gas mileage

Hello everyone I am new to the site and new to Ranger's this is my 1st post so hopefully I am posting in the right section. I am getting absolutely horrendous gas mileage with my truck I have only owned it about 2 weeks now and it runs and drives fine but the gas mileage is killing me I put $50 in and filled it up but according to my trip meter have only gone 105 miles and have less then 1/4 tank left to me that seems like I am driving a Hummer my vehicle does have a check engine light and I was told by my mechanic it was an EGR code I can't remember what the exact code was P0 ??? anyways I am wondering is the EGR my problem when it comes to my very poor gas mileage or is that normal for these trucks? I read on another post that others are getting 200-250 with the 4.0 V6. I don't know I just need to figure this out ASAP. Please forgive my non existent mechanical aptitude.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Berdo, CA
Posts: 27
i have a 3.0 V6 and im getting 330 miles a tank so if your having a code for the EGR that means the engine is not recycling the left over gas from each piston burst so i would go get that fixed immediately
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2014
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
If you have a check engine light on then yo need to fix it. Lol you don't need to go to the internet and ask for advice..you just need to either fix it yourself or take it to a shop.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Berdo, CA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
If you have a check engine light on then yo need to fix it. Lol you don't need to go to the internet and ask for advice..you just need to either fix it yourself or take it to a shop.
you would think right
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seaside, OR
Posts: 4
I obviously know something needs fixed so the 2 that posted thanks for nothing at least 1 person said something worthwhile anyways the reason I posted the question is to see if anyone had a similar issue and what was causing it or get ideas on what else could be the issue I would appreciate to stay on topic and not get answers like get it fixed .... well no **** I plan on it just want to fix the right thing the first time
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,586
Your signature says 2001 with 3.0l?


So 2001 with 4.0l??
It matters
15-18mpg for 4.0l SOHC would be about right, but alot depends on the tires, if it is lifted at all or a 4x4, and of course the gas pedal use, lol.


Here is a code list for Ford:
Ford OBD-II Trouble Codes

P1407 EGR No Flow Detected
P1408 EGR Flow out of Self-Test Range
P1409? EGR Vacuum Regulator circuit malfunction
P1409? Electronic Vacuum Regulator Control circuit fault
P1410 EGR Barometric Pressure Sensor VREF Voltage


And a generic list:
OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes
P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected
P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low
P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High
P0407 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit Low
P0408 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit High
P0409 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit

Yes, EGR issue can bring MPG down, but you could spend hundreds of dollars on parts and still not fix it, you need to get the code or codes to get an idea of why CEL is on.
Auto parts stores read the codes for free.
DPFE sensor is a common problem but not the only problem.

A fuel leak can drop MPG, park some place clean a dry, covered Mall parking is good, go have lunch, and check carefully for drops on ground or smell of fuel.
Filler tube and vent tube are common places for leaks.

And a 2001 will be using 65psi fuel system, so a small leak will leak alot of fuel.

Does the engine idle go high when cold started, 1,000rpms?
And then when warmed up does it idle at 750rpm?

If you have a higher idle when warm that could mean another issue.

Computer controlled engines(all of them) have two modes of operation, Open Loop and Closed Loop, RPM at idle can indicate which mode computer is in.

Open Loop is also Choke mode, for cold engine operation, computer ignores O2 sensors and runs engine rich with high idle until it warms up.

Closed Loop means engine is warmed up and computer is using O2 sensors to trim the fuel, idle would be 650-750rpm, depending on transmission.
Closed loop gets best fuel economy.

Does your temp gauge run at just below 1/2?
Or does it stay lower?
Is heater blowing very hot or just luke warm?

If engine isn't warming up all the way you could be stuck in Open Loop, engine runs great in open loop, extra power because of extra fuel, but MPG sucks, lol.

Last edited by RonD; 03-14-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seaside, OR
Posts: 4
Thanks for all the info I took it back to my mechanic he said fuel pressure regulator is bad he hooked up the tool that tests the fuel psi and it is not staying pressurized so he said 90% chance its that 10% chance its my fuel pump I'm hoping its just the regulator and yes I have a 3.0 liter gas v6 I was just quoting what I had seen from others that have the 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,586
2001 Ranger doesn't have a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR)

It is a Returnless fuel system, so has a check valve that holds pressure between 60-70psi on the fuel pump in the fuel tank.
Bad check valve would lower pressure but not effect MPG, since fuel would just stay in the fuel tank, engine operation would be effected usually at higher speeds.

Pre-'98 rangers did have an FPR on the fuel rail on the engine, and when they leaked MPG would go in the toilet because FPRs vacuum line would suck leaking fuel into the intake to be burned.

A 2001 Ranger does have a Pulse Damper on the fuel rail, it doesn't regulate fuel pressure through just absorbs pressure pulses when fuel pump starts and stops and when injectors open and close, this also has a vacuum line attached for safety reasons, if it's diaphragm leaks fuel pressure would go down, and vacuum line would suck fuel into intake manifold, effecting MPG

So is the 3.0l Ranger a 2001 ??

Last edited by RonD; 03-15-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seaside, OR
Posts: 4
Looks like I need to find a different mechanic lol and yes its a 2001
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
very low gas mileage and smell of gas Smith13 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 12-29-2014 03:26 PM
Help my horrible gas mileage please!!!! geikoman170 General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 03-16-2011 04:44 PM
HELP! BAD GAS MILEAGE Dixieoutlaw 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 33 02-04-2011 07:44 AM
Help!! Gas Mileage.... FX4BFT02 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 33 11-23-2008 12:36 PM
Gas Mileage help, Not the same as others bmx4life 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 25 02-12-2008 10:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.