Any way to check/test... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-16-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Any way to check/test...

I'm wondering if there is anyway to check/test the cats and O2 sensors on our trucks. I just passed the 120,000 mark and they are original. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2009
98rangerxlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 725
yes there is digital volt ohm meter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Bump.

Any way to check the cats? Any evidence of the cats gone bad?

I'm trying to figure out my loss of power, loss of acceleration.

I checked the rubber elbow and there's no hole in it. Besides, I believe that was replaced a few years ago. I have a new EGR valve and gasket, new MAF, just did a tune up with Motorcrap plugs and wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2009
98rangerxlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 725
It hard to tell if a cat is bad usually u will get this horrible smell. But you can tap it and see if you hear rattling inside. Hookup a volt meter to you o2 sensor and if they are working they should jump from 0 to 9 volts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
if ur cat is blocked don't u smell raw gas? or is that the muffler?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
I know it sounds stupid, but when was the last time you did your air filter?

I honestly have no idea about the cats though. I guess you can just pull them and do a visual inspection. See if they are clogged or damaged. Try calling an exhaust shop, they might be able to test them by doing some sort of flow test.

Was the loos of power sudden? or does it just feel slow?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98rangerxlt View Post
It hard to tell if a cat is bad usually u will get this horrible smell. But you can tap it and see if you hear rattling inside. Hookup a volt meter to you o2 sensor and if they are working they should jump from 0 to 9 volts.

No bad smell. I've known ppl to have bad cats w/out getting the smell. Around December I hooked up a scanner and read the codes from it regarding the o2 sensors and the numbers appeared to be fine when I talked to a mechanic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
I know it sounds stupid, but when was the last time you did your air filter?

I honestly have no idea about the cats though. I guess you can just pull them and do a visual inspection. See if they are clogged or damaged. Try calling an exhaust shop, they might be able to test them by doing some sort of flow test.

Was the loos of power sudden? or does it just feel slow?

I have a stupid K&N FIPK II kit so I do clean it regularly.

It happened all of a sudden last summer. I've been trying since to fix it. Its not fun getting 10-11 mpg city and lucky if I get 13.5 mpg highway. Especially since gas is almost $3 a gallon again. Sometimes I wonder if I'm gonna get rear-ended merging onto a highway b/c it doesn't like to accelerate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
u got a 4.0L? Check the vaccum tube.. Jeweler54 lost mpg cause of it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazler View Post
u got a 4.0L? Check the vaccum tube.. Jeweler54 lost mpg cause of it

Did it yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm59 View Post

I checked the rubber elbow and there's no hole in it. Besides, I believe that was replaced a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
ahh didn't see that.. how ur plugs/wires?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazler View Post
ahh didn't see that.. how ur plugs/wires?
Guess you didn't see this either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm59 View Post
just did a tune up with Motorcrap plugs and wires.

Just messing with ya, thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
LOL wow.. i can't read today.. i'll stfu now..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazler View Post
LOL wow.. i can't read today.. i'll stfu now..
Haha. Its ok. I know the Canadians reading level is well below that of us Americans.


That and your suppose to be on your way to Branson.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
I shoulda left at 10pm last night to make it there at 4pm today..

AND THE HELL WITH THAT.. i can read when i am awake!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by herm59 View Post
Haha. Its ok. I know the Canadians reading level is well below that of us Americans.


That and your suppose to be on your way to Branson.
OOOOO thats lame!

But 10mpg sucks ***. Check your brakes, they might be dragging. What I would do is go on a flat surface, put the truck in neutral and let er roll. You will feel some resistance if they are draggin. You might also hear something like a slight grinding or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2009
herm59's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
OOOOO thats lame!

But 10mpg sucks ***. Check your brakes, they might be dragging. What I would do is go on a flat surface, put the truck in neutral and let er roll. You will feel some resistance if they are draggin. You might also hear something like a slight grinding or something along those lines.
Had my brakes done a lil over a year ago. I brought it in and they said I'm still good. Yea but I feel it in the engine. Performance wise.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Way to test 4x4 Electrical System? froggerSJC General Technical & Electrical 5 08-04-2014 11:15 AM
intermittent check engine light / obd1 self-retrieval test chucksmytruck 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 1 11-04-2010 03:29 PM
4 way to 7 way wiring harness Question ? ghettogord General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 03-10-2008 10:31 PM
two-way, three-way, four? shadow905 Audio & Video Tech 13 09-20-2006 06:56 PM
check this out, new way to balance blckout Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 6 04-13-2005 12:09 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.