Best Intake - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 07-10-2008
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
I've got a K&N dropin and have noticed little improvement. But I can say I'm cool cause I got a K&N!! lol

All this talk is making me want to go get a good ol paper drop in!?!?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2008
Zeppelinx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Petawawa
Posts: 38
As long as you keep your filter clean and stock it will perform just fine! why waist money?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
So Rich, what was your "calculated" power increase, and how much of your driving time do you spend above 5K RPMs?
11hp and 10ft lbs TQ

As far as how much time I spend at WOT. Not much.
Wanna run your ranger against mine?

Bob there is a whole drag racing side to me that I don't talk much about.
The ranger is my daily driver. And as such I expect it to run at least in the 14s. Otherwise I'd never had bought it to begin with.
So far I've gone a 15.5 (VIDEO PROOF) and this summer it'll be in the 14s if I my work doesn't keep me away too much.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-10-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
11hp and 10ft lbs TQ

As far as how much time I spend at WOT. Not much.
Wanna run your ranger against mine?

Bob there is a whole drag racing side to me that I don't talk much about.
The ranger is my daily driver. And as such I expect it to run at least in the 14s. Otherwise I'd never had bought it to begin with.
So far I've gone a 15.5 (VIDEO PROOF) and this summer it'll be in the 14s if I my work doesn't keep me away too much.

Rich

You believed K&N's numbers????
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-10-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
I proved thier numbers. Shoot I even sent you the results!

Later,
Rich
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-10-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
I proved thier numbers. Shoot I even sent you the results!

Later,
Rich
Like stated earlier.. I can fully agree, you really do feel a difference at the high RPMs.. no joke about that in the least bit. I had my ranger for about 3 months before I put my K&N FIPK II (I wont call it a CAI as that part of it is sort fo a joke) and the first test I did was to boogey it up the steep hill right outside my driveway.. normally it was tough to get up to 40, I got up to 50 no problem pulling WOT and pushing 4500-5100 RPM's in the gears.


With Takeda stating about sticking with OEM and doing jsut fine as a DD.. yes, I can agree with that, I don't think there is much of an improvement in your standard, shift at 2500 rpm, style driving by switching to anything aftermarket. Minus the cool noise.. I'll have to po the hood and take my throttle cover cable off.. let ya see just how mean it sounds when you pump the gas
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-10-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I think the only reasons for someone to get a intake in our trucks, is just for the better looks.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-10-2008
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
So K&N?? Yay or nay???
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-10-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I saw go for it. I have used K&N in all my cars with no problems. Just don't over oil it when you clean it and make sure it's not over oiled from K&N.

If your talking about the FIPK I say no. Get a Volant or any other boxed intake.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-10-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I see no point, the stock paper doesn't cost much anyway. You get no increase from the K&N drop in.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-10-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I see no point, the stock paper doesn't cost much anyway. You get no increase from the K&N drop in.
If you follow it up with full headers, exhaust, ignition, and all of the other mods.. it actually does help when you get a custom tune done on it =) Hence, the reason I dont have a tuner yet.. I still have a few other engine bolt ons to take care of first
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-10-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
If you follow it up with full headers, exhaust, ignition, and all of the other mods.. it actually does help when you get a custom tune done on it =) Hence, the reason I dont have a tuner yet.. I still have a few other engine bolt ons to take care of first
Oh I agree with that, but thats with a full intake, not just a drop in. I was talking about a stock truck.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-10-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by seed60 View Post
So K&N?? Yay or nay???
Only if your over 5000rpms regularly. Otherwise just go paper and remove the snorkle.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-10-2008
Roddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,332
you notice a difference in power with the k&n drop in. No doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-10-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1 View Post
you notice a difference in power with the k&n drop in. No doubt.
Of course you would, I would notice a difference if I spent that much too. Its all in your head.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-10-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Only if your over 5000rpms regularly. Otherwise just go paper and remove the snorkle.

Rich
The snorkle offers no restriction, it does keep hot air from entering the airbox, which is a benefit!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-10-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
The snorkle offers no restriction, it does keep hot air from entering the airbox, which is a benefit!
Then if that's the case then why is the snorkel bigger on the 4.0 Explorers. They only make more power. Granted it has a different intake manifold but still.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-10-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Of course you would, I would notice a difference if I spent that much too. Its all in your head.
Exactly! It's called the "PLACEBO EFFECT". Just human nature to justify they were right in spending spending the big $$$. In reality, you would have gotten the same performance increase if you had mailed me your money!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-10-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Then if that's the case then why is the snorkel bigger on the 4.0 Explorers. They only make more power. Granted it has a different intake manifold but still.
You have vacuum in the intake manifold, NO vacuum in the intake, and the snorkel is in front of the intake!! If the snorkel (or OEM paper filter) was restrictive, you would have vacuum in the intake.

Are you comparing a OHV 4.0L in a Ranger to a SOHC 4.0L in the Explorer?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-10-2008
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh air filter fetish dun nuh
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-10-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
You have vacuum in the intake manifold, NO vacuum in the intake, and the snorkel is in front of the intake!! If the snorkel (or OEM paper filter) was restrictive, you would have vacuum in the intake.

Are you comparing a OHV 4.0L in a Ranger to a SOHC 4.0L in the Explorer?
Stock intakes are made to be quiet with chambers and sometimes baffles which causes them to be restrictive.

On my 1993 RX7 Twin Turbo I changed the complete air intake system and gained 24.3 horsepower to the wheels. Boost came on earlier in the rpm and was higher throughout the entire RPM range. Yes it is a turbo engine vs a na engine but if the stock intake was not a restriction at all then I would have not seen any improvements. This intake was dyno tested on my car. I no longer have the car so I also no longer have dyno sheets.

I was comparing a 4.0 SOHC Explorer to a SOHC 4.0 Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-10-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
If you follow it up with full headers, exhaust, ignition, and all of the other mods.. it actually does help when you get a custom tune done on it =) Hence, the reason I dont have a tuner yet.. I still have a few other engine bolt ons to take care of first
Sorry, the mods you mentioned headers, exhaust, ignition ?, and you can throw in a UDP, and an e-fan , and it won't make a difference!

You have to increase displacement, or go to forced induction to make a SIGNIFICANT difference!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil in my intake ? Plentum upper intake boyd_835 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 9 03-26-2014 11:31 PM
Intake Manifold Gasket/Intake Manifold fordboston 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 01-25-2010 10:37 PM
Composite intake and aluminum intake differences Toreador4x4 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 07-16-2009 10:34 PM
whats the best intake da lone ranger 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 60 10-28-2007 01:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.