chip made my truck act funny - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-21-2006
REUBER's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: US Army
Posts: 1,722
chip made my truck act funny

Ok, So i installed a Jet Chip yesterday. it stalled out when i got home and wouldnt start. This morning it was doing it again and i was drivivng down road at 50MPH and the truck died??? couldnt get it to start had to turn off heat and take face off stereo before it started back up.....also in Park it will only rev to 3000 RPM and its goverened off. what could be the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
A very common problem is inadequate cleaning of the connector pins where the chip plugs in. Not the chips pins, the ECU board in your PCM where it plugs in.

They are covered with "solder mask" material from the factory and if you don't clean them JUST RIGHT, you get intermittent contact and all sorts of things can happen.

First step is to revisit the install and try doing the connector cleaning again. That's where I'd start if I were in that situation, based on everything I've read over the years with people having these problems.

By the way: cleaning that right is really difficult sometimes and it's not a reflection on you if it didn't go perfectly -- MANY have experienced this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2006
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
edit: john is too fast!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
A very common problem is inadequate cleaning of the connector pins where the chip plugs in. Not the chips pins, the ECU board in your PCM where it plugs in.

They are covered with "solder mask" material from the factory and if you don't clean them JUST RIGHT, you get intermittent contact and all sorts of things can happen.

First step is to revisit the install and try doing the connector cleaning again. That's where I'd start if I were in that situation, based on everything I've read over the years with people having these problems.

By the way: cleaning that right is really difficult sometimes and it's not a reflection on you if it didn't go perfectly -- MANY have experienced this.



i had the same symptoms you mention, it was the connection between the PCM and the chip.

this is why everyone gets tuners!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2006
REUBER's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: US Army
Posts: 1,722
hm well im just screwing it all up..hood scoops...chips instead of tuners lol thanks guys ill check the connections out
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bloomington, indiana
Posts: 2
Anyone know where airbag control module is on a 99 Ranger?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-21-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by REUBER
.....also in Park it will only rev to 3000 RPM and its goverened off. what could be the problem?
No problem. There is a factory N/P rev limiter at 3000 in late model automatics. Some tuners remove it but apparently the Jet chip leaves it in. It was there before the chip and you just never noticed it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-21-2006
Blhde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerman1999
Anyone know where airbag control module is on a 99 Ranger?

Under the cup holder. IIRC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by REUBER
hm well im just screwing it all up..hood scoops...chips instead of tuners lol thanks guys ill check the connections out

lol your not screwing up, the chip was a common issue back in the day, i still have a chip once it is seated fine you are good to go.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 31
Tuners vs Chips

So I've been reading about tuners and chips. Which one is better? What are the positives and negatives about both. I have a 2000 with CAI and Exhaust. I've heard good things about Bamatuners, and the only chips i can find are from JET. COMMENTS PLEASE.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2006
REUBER's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: US Army
Posts: 1,722
i havent had a problem with my chip since that post, i have tons of extra butt in the truck now and it runs at a lower RPM getting better MPG too. someone with a Bama can tune in and tell you about it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2006
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
also... not all JET chips will remove the gov. limit.... some do, and some don't... i don't really know why this is... it just is.

mine in my truck won't let me past 91 still... i know of a few people that have the same problem... then there are some that say their gov. was removed... so.. it's kinda "iffy" weather or not you'll get yours removed. i wish mine was removed.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2006
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
a lot of people claim that the best performance upgrade for the ranger isn't a chip but a programer. not sure if this is true, but i've heard about people having more troubles with chips than not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How will my truck act when I upgrade... chas9rr Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 5 07-18-2007 10:19 PM
bama chip chip chip..... jerrod07 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 02-19-2006 10:15 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.