Gaugin interest in upgraded Cam - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 05-01-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
I'm all for performance improvements. Just keep in mind two areas that need attention and/or can limit cam selection.

The tune. Idle quality, timing, fuel, shift points, ect..

The valve springs. If these cams have higher lift and/or increased ramps you will either need to replace the springs.. -or- lower the max rpm.

All I'm saynig guys.. is that before you get a set of cams it's a good idea to understand everything needed to support them. Like... do they requre new press on gears?

I know Livernois and Det speed shops are quality places. But like everyone else *they* need some time to verify new product.


Rich
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-01-2007
G'sevo's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westland,mi
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I'm all for performance improvements. Just keep in mind two areas that need attention and/or can limit cam selection.

The tune. Idle quality, timing, fuel, shift points, ect..

The valve springs. If these cams have higher lift and/or increased ramps you will either need to replace the springs.. -or- lower the max rpm.

All I'm saynig guys.. is that before you get a set of cams it's a good idea to understand everything needed to support them. Like... do they requre new press on gears?

I know Livernois and Det speed shops are quality places. But like everyone else *they* need some time to verify new product.


Rich

definately agree!!!

thus why i am saying i am talking to comp cams and they are gonna find out what a safe number is with out having to do a full head job.... definately dont want to be changing everything...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
ill be interested in the results. but i dont think it will be worth the money.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-01-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
ill be interested in the results. but i dont think it will be worth the money.
It'd be worth the sound* =]

I searched high and low for aftermarket cams when I got the new motor put in. It's ashame they weren't around then. I'd be interested after seeing some results and after they've had a couple thousand miles of abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
only 4.0 that i have heard that sounded worth it was nicks. yet he prolly has over 10k in his engine, he has aftermarket cams...

you must not have looked too hard.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Nick's are probably a 1 off set.....i have never seen a production set of cams for a SOHC......
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-01-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
only 4.0 that i have heard that sounded worth it was nicks. yet he prolly has over 10k in his engine, he has aftermarket cams...

you must not have looked too hard.

I didn't have much time between getting the new puppy, working way to many hours, and constant trips/phone calls to the dealership. Heck, I got the headers the day the engine was suppose to go in the truck. lol

It's hard to search for anything 4.0sohc as all you get is mustang this and mustang that. I haven't a clue on what parts are interchangable.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i am probably going to get a 410 cam from Comp Cam's for my truck here shortly......hopefully by the end of the summer maybe......
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-01-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
they are custom regrinds.........

that isn't bad for just the cams............i had forgot about them....i was thinking about Moreno.....they only do the OHV right now...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-01-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
ya if i am reading that right its just stock cams reground right? hell

whats the problem with someone trying to get comp cams to make a brand NEW cam for everyone thats performance....
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-01-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
there is no problem, just saying i dont think it will be worth it.

and if you got to pull the engine that takes out about all the people that have shown interest
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-01-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
well only one way to find out...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-01-2007
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
there is no problem, just saying i dont think it will be worth it.

and if you got to pull the engine that takes out about all the people that have shown interest
I agree! And a mild Cam IMO without a full Head Job, will only yield modest gains. I think the cost/benefit analysis would show the money is better spent elsewhere. Unless, you just want to be able to act cool and say, "Yeah...It's got a cam in her!"

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-01-2007
03DualSport's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wimberley, Tx
Posts: 260
I had a LT4 hotcam in my 94 transam and it loped pretty good. it was awesome. I wouldnt mind my truck having a little lope to it.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-01-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,101
i'm all about it because i've got free parts and labor for the install...

so for me personally, i've got everything i need to do a cam swap at my disposal...

and if everything is right when the numbers come back for the cams i may try to have some head work done to accomodate the cams...



Also, if any of you are in good with Doug Studdard it might benefit everyone who buys them for you to talk to him about modifying a tune to accept/handle the new cams...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-01-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
i would be intrested in a cam and a " Noisy" gear drive for my sohc
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-02-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Hate to break it to you guys, but you will have to upgrade valve springs(I have the crower cobra springs which HAVE to be purchased in sets of 32 at a cost of 1000 to 1200 bucks), stainless steel valves, the custom ground cams, then you have to purchase lash caps or buy solid adjustable lifters and new followers, the "lope" sound that you get out of a cam-in-block setup isnt there, there is no gear drive for the SOHC, you do have to pull the motor, and you have to have torx bits and inverted torx to do this, a 300 dollar set of tools to align the cams, and the list goes on.... if you only want mild performance with a good sound, look into a different engine...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-02-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
i would be intrested in a cam and a " Noisy" gear drive for my sohc

dont the timing chains make enough "noise" as it is?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-02-2007
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
here are a few pix of the heads:








And of course, my completed investment:

Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-02-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,101
thanks for the info Nick! i wasn't sure how long it would take you to chime in, but i kinda thought that "just" a cam upgrade was hoping for a bit much for the SOHC motors...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-02-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
Hate to break it to you guys, but you will have to upgrade valve springs(I have the crower cobra springs which HAVE to be purchased in sets of 32 at a cost of 1000 to 1200 bucks), stainless steel valves, the custom ground cams, then you have to purchase lash caps or buy solid adjustable lifters and new followers, the "lope" sound that you get out of a cam-in-block setup isnt there, there is no gear drive for the SOHC, you do have to pull the motor, and you have to have torx bits and inverted torx to do this, a 300 dollar set of tools to align the cams, and the list goes on.... if you only want mild performance with a good sound, look into a different engine...



i didnt think it was an easy or cheap mod...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-02-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
here are a few pix of the heads:
And of course, my completed investment:


purty. make me one?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-02-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1


ahhhh i am glad i can replace my cam with only having to add push rods
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-02-2007
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT
Hate to break it to you guys, but you will have to upgrade valve springs(I have the crower cobra springs which HAVE to be purchased in sets of 32 at a cost of 1000 to 1200 bucks), stainless steel valves, the custom ground cams, then you have to purchase lash caps or buy solid adjustable lifters and new followers, the "lope" sound that you get out of a cam-in-block setup isnt there, there is no gear drive for the SOHC, you do have to pull the motor, and you have to have torx bits and inverted torx to do this, a 300 dollar set of tools to align the cams, and the list goes on.... if you only want mild performance with a good sound, look into a different engine...
X2!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: comp cam 410 cam and pushrods-NY destroyer000 Engine & Drivetrain 7 06-07-2016 09:05 PM
Upgraded brake systems for lift kits aftermarket Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 11 09-11-2006 02:02 AM
Upgraded alternator now what?!?! HighRollerII General Technical & Electrical 24 07-04-2006 05:45 PM
upgraded wire harnesses MonsterGuy General Technical & Electrical 9 03-13-2006 07:13 PM
Finally, an upgraded fog light! PW01 General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 01-20-2006 10:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.