Intake questions... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-10-2006
SILVRFX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 6
Intake questions...

Recently bought a 04 ranger w/ 4.0 sohc eng, and was thinking about getting a intake kit for it. After doing some research, it seems some kits come with heat shields and others don't. I defintely want one that comes with a heat shield or box like the S&B one. Has anyone had any problems after installing a intake kit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2006
mudranger96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lehigh Acres, FL
Posts: 2,549
I'v had a k&n gen2 kit on my 02 4.0l sohc for about 10,000 miles now, and it seems to work good. Heres a link to it
http://www.truckperformance.com/prod...02/Ranger/4.0L
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudranger96
I'v had a k&n gen2 kit on my 02 4.0l sohc for about 10,000 miles now, and it seems to work good. Heres a link to it
http://www.truckperformance.com/prod...02/Ranger/4.0L
x2 i highly reccomend the k&n they dont make crap...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2006
fx4me's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,507
i have airaid and it works well too. it's also $100 bucks cheaper than any others because it doesnt have a tube, just uses the stock one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2006
telemaster1952's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dover, Deleware
Posts: 3,481
i love K&N so i suggest it too, i hear good things about the mac intake
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx4me
i have airaid and it works well too. it's also $100 bucks cheaper than any others because it doesnt have a tube, just uses the stock one.
heard good things about them to...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2006
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
I have a MAC with the chrome tube..Intakes are all pretty much the same, its not something you should spend over 200 bucks for. You can get the MAC for under $ 200....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2006
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
You are limited on brands because of it being a 2004.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Is there going to be any difference whether it has a heat shield or not? The same air is going to be used whether there is a shield or not. I've been wondering it myself. I've seen a few different setups for intakes. The Volant one is interesting, but I can't see the box adding any more ability for cool air.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2006
SILVRFX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideac1
Is there going to be any difference whether it has a heat shield or not? The same air is going to be used whether there is a shield or not. I've been wondering it myself. I've seen a few different setups for intakes. The Volant one is interesting, but I can't see the box adding any more ability for cool air.
I'm more concerned with pulling air coming off the engine. Hopefully a heat shield will help that. It seems that the design of a box unit would be to act a cold-air induction, pulling air from the fenderwell. I used to have a 91' 5.0 mustang when i upgraded to a conical K&N filter the idle would surge and there didn't seem to be any gain in power. Later I switched to a Mac cold air kit and the difference was dramatic. Also, had to replace the MAF due to the oil crapping out the stock one. I think I'll be leaning more towards the oil free filters for the ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-11-2006
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
I have a MAC with the chrome tube..Intakes are all pretty much the same, its not something you should spend over 200 bucks for. You can get the MAC for under $ 200....
This is the plain truth. Heat shields are more of a fashon statement then anything.. its under the hood where 98% of the time.. nobody is gonna see it anyway. The ONLY time a ' heat shield ' will have any effect is when the vehical is sitting still and the hot air isnt being extracted by teh airflo of the vehicals movement.

I have a laptop with ' digimoto ' installed. People complained that a metal inntake tube will hold heat and plastic ones are better.. I measured heat and cfm flows of K&NN, Mac, Airraid and a chopped airbox with a dropin filter. There was less then 5 degrees of heat difference and 20cfm's of airflo for all of them.

Endless your shooting Nitrous into your intake system, theres no need to spend large amounts of money on some ' cool looking ' intake when your motor with stock internals and no headwork wont require massive amounts of airflo.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2006
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
This is the plain truth. Heat shields are more of a fashon statement then anything.. its under the hood where 98% of the time.. nobody is gonna see it anyway. The ONLY time a ' heat shield ' will have any effect is when the vehical is sitting still and the hot air isnt being extracted by teh airflo of the vehicals movement.

I have a laptop with ' digimoto ' installed. People complained that a metal inntake tube will hold heat and plastic ones are better.. I measured heat and cfm flows of K&NN, Mac, Airraid and a chopped airbox with a dropin filter. There was less then 5 degrees of heat difference and 20cfm's of airflo for all of them.

Endless your shooting Nitrous into your intake system, theres no need to spend large amounts of money on some ' cool looking ' intake when your motor with stock internals and no headwork wont require massive amounts of airflo.

D.
I bought mine because of the nice shiny chrome tube, not for performance.



EDIT- oops sorry i read it wrong, you said i was right, not wrong, LOL....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil in my intake ? Plentum upper intake boyd_835 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 9 03-26-2014 11:31 PM
Intake Manifold Gasket/Intake Manifold fordboston 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 01-25-2010 10:37 PM
Composite intake and aluminum intake differences Toreador4x4 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 07-16-2009 10:34 PM
Questions about new exhaust and air intake 2Tuf4U Ranger-Forums Office 10 08-11-2005 07:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.