just wondering... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-28-2009
2008xl's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 67
just wondering...

i was wondering what are some quick way to get a little more power out of my ranger, or maybe better gas mileage. not wanting to get a tuner because i still have factory warranty, any suggestions, also what are good websites for purchasing after market parts for a ranger.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2009
Alex98's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 844
well go with an intake and exhuast for a start lol and as for websites there everywhere
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008xl View Post
i was wondering what are some quick way to get a little more power out of my ranger, or maybe better gas mileage. not wanting to get a tuner because i still have factory warranty, any suggestions, also what are good websites for purchasing after market parts for a ranger.
Thank you.
the quickest would be the zip tie mod hahaha and what he said^^^^^
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2009
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
First off, you can get a tuner and it wont void your warranty. If you have to take it in just put it back to stock tune and your good to go.

For better gas mileage you always want to check the obvious first like checking your tire pressure, making sure you tires are balanced, clean fuel filter, clean air filter, etc...

Stuff that you can buy that will help are things like sea-foam, lucas fuel injector cleaner, cold air intake, tuner, pulleys, exhaust, and synthetic oil.

I would start with things syhthetic oil. Depending on your trucks miles you dont need sea-foam or lucas cleaner yet. Make sure you get a good filter with the oil change as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2009
nate_g_2003's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 976
Underdog Performance

Wayne is top notch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Of War View Post
First off, you can get a tuner and it wont void your warranty. If you have to take it in just put it back to stock tune and your good to go.

For better gas mileage you always want to check the obvious first like checking your tire pressure, making sure you tires are balanced, clean fuel filter, clean air filter, etc...

Stuff that you can buy that will help are things like sea-foam, lucas fuel injector cleaner, cold air intake, tuner, pulleys, exhaust, and synthetic oil.

I would start with things syhthetic oil. Depending on your trucks miles you dont need sea-foam or lucas cleaner yet. Make sure you get a good filter with the oil change as well.

cant you get more power out of a custom tune/with chip , than a plug in tuner ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2009
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtank View Post
cant you get more power out of a custom tune/with chip , than a plug in tuner ?
Well if you were to have someone hand tune it you could but its going to be alot more expensive.

All the Xcaliber 2 and 3 tuners are great. They give great gains and are very user friendly with alot of options like clearing trouble codes, changing gearing ratios, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-01-2009
2008xl's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 67
cant the manufactor tell if the codes and such have been changed with a tuner?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
not if you put it back to stock before handing them the keys.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2009
Alex98's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 844
Jet Chip lol i got one
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-01-2009
nate_g_2003's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex98 View Post
Jet Chip lol i got one
I dunno about you, but my Jet programmer sux bawls. It is a complete FAIL in regards to power.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-01-2009
Woods-Rider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,108
5.0 swap lol. probably the only thing you could do that would make a noticable difference with the least amount of money.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Wondering... ChaosFromAbove General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 02-22-2009 06:16 PM
just wondering... ranger_banger Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 11 09-14-2007 01:28 AM
Just wondering. 99XLTOffroad Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 12 09-08-2006 01:39 PM
just wondering if anyone on this forum has expirences with Walls? bamaboy Audio & Video Tech 5 07-12-2006 10:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.