Picture Thread of Replacing heads - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 11-10-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchsbuzz19 View Post
How many miles are on your 4.0? I really hope I don't have to do this to mine.
85K.. the ford heads are VERY thin..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-10-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
When I advised you to put RTV in those spots around the lower intake gasket. Have fun ripping all that **** apart again...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-10-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
Ah ****.. I only did the valve covers.. F*CK... lol.. will the valve covers need to be replaced when the get taken off?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-10-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by God,Country,FORD View Post
Ah ****.. I only did the valve covers.. F*CK... lol.. will the valve covers need to be replaced when the get taken off?
Let me ask you something, did you even torque down the head bolts in the sequence shown in the procedure I sent you? I feel like I wasted my time doing it and explaining some of the **** the procedure doesn't even cover. I tried explaining to you what I ****ed up on so you wouldn't make the same mistake.

To answer your question, yes. I did anyway. I got the rubber ones and I didn't use ANY RTV whatsoever on them.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-10-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
the ones i got were rubber.. I still RTV'd the **** out of them..

And yes i torqued them down the way the instructions said.. I didnt RTV the valve covers because the guys at the auto hobby shop said not to..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-10-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by God,Country,FORD View Post
the ones i got were rubber.. I still RTV'd the **** out of them..

And yes i torqued them down the way the instructions said.. I didnt RTV the valve covers because the guys at the auto hobby shop said not to..
You RTV'd the gasket but not the head or the valve covers?

Get you some new rubber valve cover gaskets. Clean the old gasket off the head and valve covers. Put the new valve cover gaskets on without any RTV. If you do use some, put it on the valve cover where it mates with the gasket.

Regardless, your leak is probably where mine was because you didn't put RTV where I told you to.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-22-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Get the oil leak fixed yet or what?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-23-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
Tom- Yeah, the oil leak was the Lower intake gasket.. I didnt follow the directions you gave me, so it leaked.. Lesson learned haha.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-23-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms994x4 View Post
You RTV'd the gasket but not the head or the valve covers?

Get you some new rubber valve cover gaskets. Clean the old gasket off the head and valve covers. Put the new valve cover gaskets on without any RTV. If you do use some, put it on the valve cover where it mates with the gasket.

Regardless, your leak is probably where mine was because you didn't put RTV where I told you to.
I RTV's the valve covers and that was it.. I Should have RTV'd the intake gaskets but did not..

And Yes, I did not listen to you so i got a leak.. Lesson learned wont happen again master lol
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-23-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by God,Country,FORD View Post
I RTV's the valve covers and that was it.. I Should have RTV'd the intake gaskets but did not..

And Yes, I did not listen to you so i got a leak.. Lesson learned wont happen again master lol
I told you so....

I'm going to sig that too.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-23-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms994x4 View Post
I told you so....

I'm going to sig that too.
haha. Epic
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-06-2009
fabioonachopper's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ware,Ma
Posts: 96
great. i got 90k on my truck. i'm gunna shoot myself if i have to do this to my truck before its paid off
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-06-2009
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Holy crap those water jackets are plugged up.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-10-2009
God,Country,FORD's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Red Oak, IA
Posts: 2,468
haha yeah, it was a mess i will say that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 3.0L V6 Vulcan Cylinder Heads - Pair - Dover Cylinder Heads Prerunner-Ranger Engine & Drivetrain 1 09-27-2015 07:48 AM
Want to Trade: Black Heads/Corners for 06+ OEM Heads/Corners (NorCal) 2004xlmiller Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 7 06-05-2012 11:03 PM
Replacing heads... FireRanger235 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 5 10-17-2008 03:53 AM
Tri State Official Picture Thread RangerExtreme Meet & Greet Photos 31 03-18-2008 05:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.