What do I really need - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-03-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
What do I really need

Exactly as the question sounds. What in the engine bay do I really need. Im trying to create as much space and elminate as much as possible. I already have the ABS controller out and cruise control out. My next step would be the AC, anything else anyone can think of that can come out? Im also relocating the battery out of the bay.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Dont forget the condenser.

What about moving the radiator? over flow tank? windsheild washer tank?

Battery?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
move the radiator to the bed and add a Taurus efan to it. You can also remove most of the heater/AC box if you are taking the A/C off the truck. You can also remove the A/C dryer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2008
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Not sure if this would be possible or a good thing to do or not... but the brake booster could be relocated inside the cab I suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Is the cruise out?

WOW! I just noticed that the cruise is out. That's what happens when you skim through the question too fast.

Last edited by whippersnapper02; 06-03-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
relocate the fuse/relay box possibly?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2008
HighRollerII's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,066
wanna sell the CC stuff (:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII View Post
wanna sell the CC stuff (:
its already "sold" to another member, I just havent gotten him a shipping qoute yet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2008
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Not sure how extreme your going, but if you did a snorkel straight through the hood up to the roof you'd safe some space.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
someones thinking of narrowing

sweet dude, I am glad youre asking, i was thinking of the same question...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
someones thinking of narrowing

sweet dude, I am glad youre asking, i was thinking of the same question...
the thought may have crossed my mind.....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Do you jsut want it to run? So no luxury at all? Like heat, power windows, radio, etc... I am jsut trying to think what all you can get rid of.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
Exactly as the question sounds. What in the engine bay do I really need. Im trying to create as much space and elminate as much as possible. I already have the ABS controller out and cruise control out. My next step would be the AC, anything else anyone can think of that can come out? Im also relocating the battery out of the bay.
Move to a manual rack and free up engine power as well as room ( Eliminate Power steering ).

Flaming River makes a 17:1 manual rack for such a thing
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Move to a manual rack and free up engine power as well as room ( Eliminate Power steering ).

Flaming River makes a 17:1 manual rack for such a thing
dont have a rack at all anymore. I have a yota steering box.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-04-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
Do you jsut want it to run? So no luxury at all? Like heat, power windows, radio, etc... I am jsut trying to think what all you can get rid of.
Yea, the interior is already stripped for the most part. all thats left is the general dash shell. everything else is removed.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-04-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
dont have a rack at all anymore. I have a yota steering box.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Run propane. Then you'll only need like 4 or 5 wires, a brake and clutch master cylinder, and a radiator under there.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
Run propane. Then you'll only need like 4 or 5 wires, a brake and clutch master cylinder, and a radiator under there.
can you even run propane on that engine? is there a kit?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
I have seen it done before, but you cannot do it in the united states so I have read. there are ranger trucks in brazil running propane.

Have you decided if you are pulling the engine and running something else?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2008
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
you can do it in the usa extreme 4x4 did it with a universal kit.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-04-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
I don't know why you couldn't run propane on a 4.0? I think you'd just have to hook up the regulator and such and get the mix right like any other set up. Maybe make a custom bracket to hook it up to the intake manifold or something.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-04-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
I have seen it done before, but you cannot do it in the united states so I have read. there are ranger trucks in brazil running propane.

Have you decided if you are pulling the engine and running something else?
i dont think the truck is going to be very street legal anyways lol. and why cant you run Propane? it burns cleaner
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-04-2008
leadfoot's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 894
Dont diesels run propane as a power booster?

+ you could elinimate the airbox or free up more space by running the intake into the cab or use a hoodscoop.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-04-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
i dont think the truck is going to be very street legal anyways lol. and why cant you run Propane? it burns cleaner
idk i just read it somewhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OH YEAH! Got some stuff coming really, REALLY soon! Jimmeh Snapshots 12 07-13-2008 11:16 PM
turn signals are really really fast quicksilver2001 General Technical & Electrical 18 01-29-2006 02:23 PM
really really bad day... f2b General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 05-26-2005 05:17 PM
Really, Really need to know what year AC Compressors fit!! serialkiller General Technical & Electrical 2 06-01-2004 11:27 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.