302 Gurrus needed - Page 7 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #151  
Old 08-12-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
R U talking about the Freeze Plug in the sides of the block.

Take a punch or heavy screwdriver, start at the edge and pound them down.

OR

Drill a hole in the middle and pull the out.

Some use a chisel and cut along the edge.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 08-13-2010
reader585's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oromocto New brunswick
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
R U talking about the Freeze Plug in the sides of the block.

Take a punch or heavy screwdriver, start at the edge and pound them down.

OR

Drill a hole in the middle and pull the out.

Some use a chisel and cut along the edge.
I used a screw driver and a hammer, they pooped right out.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 08-13-2010
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
I am running the L&L swap headers. They are a pretty nice peace, I have to trim the drivers side motor mount to fit around them, but other than that they fit between the frame rails well.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 08-13-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
I am running the L&L swap headers. They are a pretty nice peace, I have to trim the drivers side motor mount to fit around them, but other than that they fit between the frame rails well.
L&L Products have very good parts a little pricey but they are for the “upto 97 Crowd”.
There header are the best on the market, ½” Mounting Flange, heavy walled Tubing and the muffler ends are 5/16” thk.
BUT I do not believe they will work with this application but if you get them and they work, PLEASE let me know, I will use them IF & WHEN I get to the V8 swap.

L&L’s other stuff like the Oil Filter relocation Kit, the best, the machining is flawless and you get more than enough parts to fit it too.
Ant the Motor mounts for the 97 down are also the best, welding is very well done, ¼” or thicker plate steel for all of the main and supporting pieces.

As you can see I can’t say enough about the L&L Products but too bad I can’t use the stuff in my 03 Swap…

ltr,
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 08-13-2010
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
I would agree with the quality of the headers, but not the motor mounts. I had them initially and they both broke in a very destructive manor. I have since changed to the advance adapter plates which I have had better luck with. They other issue was the L&L mounts I had were solid, not really ideal for a daily driver. I know they don't fit on 98 and up but I can't rember what year he is working with, that was several pages ago! But if anyone needs any dimension of the L&L mounts I can get them.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 08-13-2010
reader585's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oromocto New brunswick
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
L&L Products have very good parts a little pricey but they are for the “upto 97 Crowd”.
There header are the best on the market, ½” Mounting Flange, heavy walled Tubing and the muffler ends are 5/16” thk.
BUT I do not believe they will work with this application but if you get them and they work, PLEASE let me know, I will use them IF & WHEN I get to the V8 swap.

L&L’s other stuff like the Oil Filter relocation Kit, the best, the machining is flawless and you get more than enough parts to fit it too.
Ant the Motor mounts for the 97 down are also the best, welding is very well done, ¼” or thicker plate steel for all of the main and supporting pieces.

As you can see I can’t say enough about the L&L Products but too bad I can’t use the stuff in my 03 Swap…

ltr,

Sweet deal. I am checking out there web site now. They have a package were I can get,

Headers, Complete with flanges, gaskets, and all the mounting hardware
New 6qt Oil pan, with a high flow oil pickup and pump
Oil filter relocation mount, Complete with hoses and hardware
And last but not least
New Engine mounts.

All for around $1300.

I am defiantly going to be bookmarking these guys and calling them later on.

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 08-13-2010
reader585's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oromocto New brunswick
Posts: 791
I am working with a 2002 FX4
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 08-13-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
I would agree with the quality of the headers, but not the motor mounts.
Funny, I pulled sssooo many smoke shows with with my 88 Ranger/5.0L and had no problems, the guy I sold the truck too ended up junking the body and getting a 89 to put the stuff in and I believe it is still running.
I think you got a bad set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader585 View Post
Sweet deal. I am checking out there web site now. They have a package were I can get,

Headers, Complete with flanges, gaskets, and all the mounting hardware
New 6qt Oil pan, with a high flow oil pickup and pump
Oil filter relocation mount, Complete with hoses and hardware
And last but not least
New Engine mounts.

All for around $1300.

I am defiantly going to be bookmarking these guys and calling them later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader585 View Post
I am working with a 2002 FX4
Some of there stuff won’t work for you but some will…

luck,
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 08-13-2010
reader585's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oromocto New brunswick
Posts: 791
Ya I assumed that the motor mounts would not work. When i call them I am going to see if I can get them to take the mounts out, and i will just order them threw advanced adapters.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 08-15-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader585 View Post
Ok so this is going to sound really stupid.... How do i create more torque.
Drop in a 454 from a early 90s Chevy 454SS. 500 ft lbs of torque. They call 'er da Torque Monster.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 08-15-2010
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader585 View Post
I am working with a 2002 FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader585 View Post
Sweet deal. I am checking out there web site now. They have a package were I can get,

Headers, Complete with flanges, gaskets, and all the mounting hardware
New 6qt Oil pan, with a high flow oil pickup and pump
Oil filter relocation mount, Complete with hoses and hardware
And last but not least
New Engine mounts.

All for around $1300.

I am defiantly going to be bookmarking these guys and calling them later on.

The James Duff and L&L conversion parts are intended for 97 and earlier Rangers. Very little of it will fit in a 2002 FX4.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 08-15-2010
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
I've been trying to explain that kinda, there are very few options with a new truck. You need to use all the new 302 parts (explorer 302s) all the old 302 stuff sounds cool and is cheap, but its just not going to work unless you front half the frame,mess with steering etc.

just need to take a sec, sit back and research it a bit longer. It sounds awesome and kinda simple but realize it will be a challenge using an 02+ truck

Last edited by INT3RC3PTOR; 08-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 08-15-2010
nitro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Blocton,Al.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
Drop in a 454 from a early 90s Chevy 454SS. 500 ft lbs of torque. They call 'er da Torque Monster.
the early 90s 454s did'nt make anywere nere 500 of anything. There no way i would insult a ford with a ****orlet motor!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 08-15-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
The Chebby’s fit nice in a Ranger but IT IS NOT A FORD !

Toque increases have been discussed in earlier postings on this topic.

Easiest way is to stroke it, if $$$ is a problem increase the rocker arm ratio to 1.7.
You can add longer connecting rod and new pistons that won’t chg the stroke or CI but will increase the low end torque. The right set of heads will give you some low end, a good cam designed for low end power is another way, re-read all the post.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 08-16-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
the early 90s 454s did'nt make anywere nere 500 of anything. There no way i would insult a ford with a ****orlet motor!
\

Whoops I meant 400. The 91s made 405 ft lbs. 300 hp to.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 08-17-2010
nitro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Blocton,Al.
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
\

Whoops I meant 400. The 91s made 405 ft lbs. 300 hp to.
I've got that beat with a small block 423 rwhp and 471 rwtq.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P300-302-302 mmisk 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 29 05-04-2015 10:47 AM
OHC needed adn info needed plz help OneTireFire General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 04-15-2010 07:34 AM
302 Swap Info Needed! l2en 8-Cylinder Tech 22 04-30-2007 01:34 AM
302 swap question d3w22j82 8-Cylinder Tech 1 04-14-2006 10:11 AM
May be driving out to get a 302 Ranger tomorrow. Need some info wanted General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 10-16-2005 09:27 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.