5.8 clevland swap.. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-27-2011
RangerXLT18's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 127
5.8 clevland swap..

dad has a old 351 clevland layin around we pulled out of a old f-150 he had. been wanting to build a hot rod/drag truck for a while now..now i know there are some difrences in the blocks..i know the windsor block is better and lighter because the clevland block is bit heavy since it was for trucks..any you guys got any imput on the 2 dif motors/blocks? recommend? or not matter.

i wana build the older style lik late 80's ranger. any of you guys got pics of your trucks or projects in these years..tryin to get some ideas now..hopin to get a truck for next winter..need a project!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Are you sure it's a cleveland and not a modified? The modified's were in the trucks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011
RangerXLT18's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 127
its what i was told. i would have to look at the block and see about the markings..so theres a windsor..cleveland..and a modified? never hurd of em
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Yes, there are three versions of the 351
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011
robert99ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana/Mississippi
Posts: 5,807
I personally liked the Windsors the best. Had one in one of my trucks and it was a good motor. I buddy had the modified and also the 400M. Neither one was very good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
The M blocks are better for the trucks simply for the torque advantage.

The Cleveland is a faster motor.

Never had a Windsor though
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2011
kanuck15's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 844
Ive had a windsor and it was fun for a small block but it was in a boat of a car. The modified in my bronco has an intake and carb on it and it will darn near lift the front tires off if I launch it hard
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2011
RangerXLT18's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 127
my brother currently has a windsor bored and stroked to a 408 in his mustang. motor makes redic power. would like to have one and build one for a truck. but just workin with what i got a seeing my options. ill have to look and see tomar what motor it is.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Yes, there are three versions of the 351
OP, google "FE engines" from ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
The M blocks are better for the trucks simply for the torque advantage.

The Cleveland is a faster motor.

Never had a Windsor though
i thought the cleveland was like the modified. a torque monster. the windsor had the aftermarket advantage over the two.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2011
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
What is the engine going in ?
If the 351 is a Cleveland and not a Modified then it will take the same Bell Housing as the 351/302/5.0L Windsors, also, I thought the Modified were 360/400 and they take a big block bell housing.

Stay away from the Modified, too many problems and they were not made for racing.

351 Cleveland's have heating problems especially when put in smaller vehicles so think this through, what’s it going in, is there room for a good size radiator, will the vehicle be used at all as a DD. These engines are some of the first thin wall castings and suffer for it.
Also, although there is a few parts that interchange with SBFs, the 351C does stand by itself for a lot of stuff, limited performance parts, so check out what you want and what you can get before entering in this engine upgrade.
The heads on the Cleveland’s have big cantered valves and an breathe well at higher rpms but at slower speed may not have the kick you want.

Dyno Don made history with the SOHC 427 and the 351C pwrd Pinto.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
The 351/400M will take the same bellhousing from the 429/460. The M block does not have huge aftermarket support, but that doesn't mean parts aren't available

I've never had a problem with either my 351M or my 400M. I know plenty of people with M blocks and never had problems. (My 351M has over 100K miles and has never had an issue, I change the oil, that's it. Engine runs like a champ)

If you know how to take car of an engine, anything will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 555
My cousin had an old f series with a built Cleveland. It was a beast.

I remember him putting a lot of money and time into it, I was young but I remember the torque, it pulled like my uncles f350.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-2011
RangerXLT18's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
What is the engine going in ?
If the 351 is a Cleveland and not a Modified then it will take the same Bell Housing as the 351/302/5.0L Windsors, also, I thought the Modified were 360/400 and they take a big block bell housing.

Stay away from the Modified, too many problems and they were not made for racing.

351 Cleveland's have heating problems especially when put in smaller vehicles so think this through, what’s it going in, is there room for a good size radiator, will the vehicle be used at all as a DD. These engines are some of the first thin wall castings and suffer for it.
Also, although there is a few parts that interchange with SBFs, the 351C does stand by itself for a lot of stuff, limited performance parts, so check out what you want and what you can get before entering in this engine upgrade.
The heads on the Cleveland’s have big cantered valves and an breathe well at higher rpms but at slower speed may not have the kick you want.

Dyno Don made history with the SOHC 427 and the 351C pwrd Pinto.
It did end up being a "cleveland" motor its not the modified. the motor is guna be going into a old school ranger, late 80's style. found this from doin a google search hes on the site somewhere. would lik to build little something like this.

Name:  Rangerforums.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  119.6 KB
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
That's going to be a sweet project
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-23-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerXLT18 View Post
It did end up being a "cleveland" motor its not the modified. the motor is guna be going into a old school ranger, late 80's style. found this from doin a google search hes on the site somewhere. would lik to build little something like this.

How did you come up with the engine being a Cleveland and not a Modifide? 351c never came in trucks stock from the factory and the 351m's came in trucks and cars stock. The 351c was a great engine in its day but the 351w is a way better choise these days. The truck you posted is very cool looking and I am building a 83 Ranger myself for road race with a nasty little 302 in it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-24-2011
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Great to here it is in, if it is a “C” then it should run like a raped ape… Dyno Don Nicholas made Drag Racing History in a Cleveland Powered Pinto.

Good Luck,

p.s. Interested in what radiator you used ?
How is it cooling the engine ?

What mods did you do to the engine ?

Last edited by Scrambler82; 06-24-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmike1 View Post
How did you come up with the engine being a Cleveland and not a Modifide? 351c never came in trucks stock from the factory and the 351m's came in trucks and cars stock. The 351c was a great engine in its day but the 351w is a way better choise these days. The truck you posted is very cool looking and I am building a 83 Ranger myself for road race with a nasty little 302 in it.
He never said the motor that came out of the F150 was the motor that was in it from the factory
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-27-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
He never said the motor that came out of the F150 was the motor that was in it from the factory
Yes I understood that but does he know if it was ever changed out for sure? All I was getting at was a Cleveland never came in a truck. Many time I have been told that a truck had a cleveland and even though they are some what right (351m/400) its not the 351c that every thinks they are. I was just asking if he knew for sure that it was a 351c.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-27-2011
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerXLT18 View Post
dad has a old 351 clevland layin around we pulled out of a old f-150 he had.
How about doing something to clear this questionable PROBLEM up !

Get the serial number off the block for the non-believes.

How’s it running, must be nice to feel that kind of power under foot.

Have you run the ¼ yet. times pls ?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
How about doing something to clear this questionable PROBLEM up !

Get the serial number off the block for the non-believes.
How about just post up some pics so we can see the physical features of the engine then we all will know. I did not say that he didnt have a Cleveland. Again I was just asking if he knew for sure as he said that it came from a truck. That simple. Plus we all like to see pics of other peoples rides any ways.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-15-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
So haveyou started on this swap yet? Post some pics if you have any.......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 5.0 Swap 5 speed swap questions Built Ford Tough 8-Cylinder Tech 1 03-30-2012 05:14 AM
2wd manual Drive Shaft Swap to a 4x4 Drive shaft Swap 2001fordranger Drivetrain Tech 6 03-05-2011 08:06 PM
Fox CoilOver Swap + Rear Shock Swap lateralsvt Suspension Tech 2 04-01-2010 06:20 PM
to swap or not to swap????? 02rangermayhem General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 01-29-2008 11:23 PM
explorer swap 98-01 swap GregsEdge 8-Cylinder Tech 27 11-23-2005 07:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.