crankshaft reliability - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-27-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
crankshaft reliability

I going to start building my 4.6 for my mustang cant rely find any power number for what the stock 4.6 crank will handle. Started getting part #'s for forged rods and billet pistons because i hear they start to go bad at the 500-600 hp so i dont want to spend all this money and find out i should have invested in a crank too.I dont know my end power number goal yet but i have the money right now so put it ware it counts and just build it once to handle what ever i deside to throw at it. Anyone out there running more than that on a stock 02 gt 4.6 crank ? will post picks as i start taking it apart.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Muscatine, Iowa
Posts: 34
billet pistons? really?

cobra forged cranks handle more hp than you'll be able to toss at them fwiw

what exactly are you building?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
Im building this to beat a friends car he bought a gt500 and said this car would never beat it told him give me 1 year and I will smoke your car
Looking to make around 700 hp think of going twin turbo running 18-20 pounds
And for billet pistons -- yes I have done some research on the 4.6 and the say rods top limit is around 400 hp and pistons start going bad at around 500 hp so with my goal being 700 hp while I have the money buy the right parts once
And street ability to me on this car doesn’t matter once this is done this car is going to go scca racing been looking in to specs on roll cages now to keep it all safe
Been trying to go racing for years and finally got the wife’s approval so beat a friend and make the car to go have fun
Why not is what I say not getting any younger

Last edited by 0ranger99; 03-31-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2011
faststang90's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: dayton texas
Posts: 113
my friend has a stock 4.6 3v with a blower and it made over 600 hp to the tires. it ran just a few weeks before a rod came out the side of the block. he did another stock motor and he was told that it was maxed out any more and he would have the same problem. it put 427 to the tires. this is a 06 gt with a auto its ran a best of 12.2. my friend has a gt 500 that makes over 800 hp and it sent a rod out about a week ago
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststang90 View Post
my friend has a stock 4.6 3v with a blower and it made over 600 hp to the tires. it ran just a few weeks before a rod came out the side of the block. he did another stock motor and he was told that it was maxed out any more and he would have the same problem. it put 427 to the tires. this is a 06 gt with a auto its ran a best of 12.2. my friend has a gt 500 that makes over 800 hp and it sent a rod out about a week ago
that sucks

ya been doing reseach on these engines for some time
i found out the stock block can handle 800 hp rods 400 hp pistons 500 hp
but cant find any numbers about the cranks
ive talked to two diff muchinest and both said they have never seen a stock crank brake but would recommed replacing it or go to a forged factory crank if getting over the 600 hp
they think mine is a cast crank if you run the year and model of the car but need to check the casting marks when i get it apart
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2011
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ranger99 View Post
Looking to make around 700 hp think of going twin turbo running 18-20 pounds
Interesting... I would never take performance advice from someone who makes claims of horsepower based on boost levels...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Interesting... I would never take performance advice from someone who makes claims of horsepower based on boost levels...
that fine did not try to give u advise now did i

i have seen a stock 4.6 2v will only upgrade being 70 pound injector running and a turbo running 14 pounds of boost running 600 hp on an engine dyno

so boost levels dont matter

did not ask for your advice nor do i care what you think
i was asking for a reliably question and somebody asked what i was planning

if you dont like it dont respond and dont read on
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2011
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ranger99 View Post
that fine did not try to give u advise now did i

i have seen a stock 4.6 2v will only upgrade being 70 pound injector running and a turbo running 14 pounds of boost running 600 hp on an engine dyno

so boost levels dont matter

did not ask for your advice nor do i care what you think
i was asking for a reliably question and somebody asked what i was planning

if you dont like it dont respond and dont read on
Without referencing a compressor flow chart, boost figures mean nothing. It sounds very uneducated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Muscatine, Iowa
Posts: 34
You'd be looking at sourcing a stock cobra crank (only one that's forged steel from the factory) along with some forged h beam rods and forged (not billet lol) pistons

Intake will need to be aftermarket (sullivan or similar) and you're gonna need some new cams with matching springs and decent retainers

General advice, the amount of boost and/or hp aren't as important in terms of longevity of the engine as it is to have a dead nuts on point tune. Detonation destroys parts, period.


Am I correct to assume this car already has the normal stuff; subframe connectors, a decent trans, axles, decent diff, suspension (you're gonna need it), good tires, etc?


Sounds stupid, but why not just put a blower on it lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT88GT View Post
You'd be looking at sourcing a stock cobra crank (only one that's forged steel from the factory) along with some forged h beam rods and forged (not billet lol) pistons

Intake will need to be aftermarket (sullivan or similar) and you're gonna need some new cams with matching springs and decent retainers

General advice, the amount of boost and/or hp aren't as important in terms of longevity of the engine as it is to have a dead nuts on point tune. Detonation destroys parts, period.


Am I correct to assume this car already has the normal stuff; subframe connectors, a decent trans, axles, decent diff, suspension (you're gonna need it), good tires, etc?


Sounds stupid, but why not just put a blower on it lol
YA most of the other aftermarket parts have been ordered, now it's the engines turn to get upgraded, want to go with the turbos to be different, and in my experience ease of tuning and being able to turn down the power levels for street use if I choose to

Last edited by 0ranger99; 04-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2011
0ranger99's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: woonsocket RI
Posts: 224
decided to go with a crate motor ordering a 5.3 stoker big bore motor. 4400$ for the short block so that not to bad and it comes with a warranty i think. not sure what im doing for heads yet been looking into the 4 valve heads may go that way instead of the 2 valve heads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Ranger reliability - better stats mkaresh General Ford Ranger Discussion 56 10-21-2016 11:10 AM
4.0L SOHC Reliability, strength, ect. DaGGer 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 35 07-21-2009 01:01 AM
reliability DUBBLREST1985 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 01-07-2008 08:50 PM
reliability of 98 rangers jtslmn720 General Ford Ranger Discussion 21 12-13-2005 01:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.