Help please.... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-01-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Help please....

Ok guys and gals, which would be better a 4.6 liter Dohc, or a 302 converted from carb to FI? My poor old V6 has power but it seems weak to me. and whom would you recomend I get the swap kit from. any help would be nice. Oreily's gave me a quote for $1,300 bucks intake and all for a 302. It's carbed though but edlebrock has an Fi conversion kit for those type engines. Is this a good route to go?
  #2  
Old 08-01-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
swap kit? for your truck? none exist.

Good route? sure. But I thought you wanted to can all attempts at motor swaps...
  #3  
Old 08-01-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
I myself would take the DOHC, a slightly more complicated engine, but those suckers torque up nice and fast. My brother's family van has one in it.. and wow, it goes fast when you hit the gas lol
  #4  
Old 08-01-2008
TrailRateThisFx4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 1,022
i would go with the 4.6 dohc. thats what i want when my motor hits its last leg in like 5 or 10 years
  #5  
Old 08-01-2008
GregR's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wanamingo, MN
Posts: 89
Your profile says who have a 2004 Edge. If it has the torsion bar front the 4.6 dohc will be a more difficult swap. The torsion bar frames are 4" narrower than the coil spring frames. Personally, I'd go with a 5.0 from an Explorer. It bolts in and there are no clearance issues.
  #6  
Old 08-05-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
swap kit? for your truck? none exist.

Good route? sure. But I thought you wanted to can all attempts at motor swaps...
Nah just the twin turbo deal. too much dough involved just in the motor alone. grand total: a little over $45,000 which is way way too much for me. James Duff enterprises has a swap kit but not for my year. His only goes ut to the 98 models, which is light years behind the suspension of what I have today. which is why I can't go old school either. damn it I say. Plus as of september of this year I have to use an 04 or newer V8 due to the emissions laws which is B.S. in my book. I haven't done anything to it yet other than your basic mods. such as exhaust air filter and that's about it.

Last edited by knightmare1015; 08-05-2008 at 02:46 AM.
  #7  
Old 08-05-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Your profile says who have a 2004 Edge. If it has the torsion bar front the 4.6 dohc will be a more difficult swap. The torsion bar frames are 4" narrower than the coil spring frames. Personally, I'd go with a 5.0 from an Explorer. It bolts in and there are no clearance issues.
It does have the torsion bars one of them looks like it needs to be replaced. I wasn't sure when someone asked me what I had so I just crawled underneath it with a flashlight a few minutes ago. 302 is what I'm leaning towards due to low cost in rebuilding it or maintaining it if need be. The Valvetrain and cams for the 4.6 Dohc aint cheap by any means at all. O.E.M just for the parts start at around $500.00 for the cam and about $1,000 bucks for the cylinder heads and that's just for the parts. I figured with a racing weight version of a one piece tilt front end hood and a racing weight version of the bed and a stock 302 with 225 hp, and 305 Ft. Lbs. of torque will be all that I need. Basicly what I have been saying to MYSELF is K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) over the last months. Thanks gregr. The trans will bolt in too won't it?
  #8  
Old 08-05-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
I myself would take the DOHC, a slightly more complicated engine, but those suckers torque up nice and fast. My brother's family van has one in it.. and wow, it goes fast when you hit the gas lol
I know. a friend has a 4.6 mustang cobra with 3.73 gear ratios. The damn thing has alot of torque that's for sure especially on the bottom end. We rode in my truck after we rode in his and he said mine felt like it's got a little more pulling power and torque on the bottom end than his but it felt slower on level ground and at speed than his. I guess it's because of the gear ratios that I have which is 4.10's which is alot lower than his 3.73's.
  #9  
Old 08-05-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Your profile says who have a 2004 Edge. If it has the torsion bar front the 4.6 dohc will be a more difficult swap. The torsion bar frames are 4" narrower than the coil spring frames. Personally, I'd go with a 5.0 from an Explorer. It bolts in and there are no clearance issues.
So basicly you're saying I should use Ford explorer parts right? I was leaning towards a carbed motor. a simple 2 barrel carb if you're wondering with about around 250 cfms maybe 300 at the most. So I won't have to move anything around right?

Last edited by knightmare1015; 08-05-2008 at 02:47 AM.
  #10  
Old 08-05-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
I think you'd be starving that engine for fuel with only that much goin' into it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Nah just the twin turbo deal. too much dough involved just in the motor alone. grand total: a little over $45,000 which is way way too much for me. James Duff enterprises has a swap kit but not for my year. His only goes ut to the 98 models, which is light years behind the suspension of what I have today. which is why I can't go old school either. damn it I say. Plus as of september of this year I have to use an 04 or newer V8 due to the emissions laws which is B.S. in my book. I haven't done anything to it yet other than your basic mods. such as exhaust air filter and that's about it.

What.....no price down to the penny like last time?

Torsion bars are "far superior and advanced" compaired to twin i beams?
  #11  
Old 08-05-2008
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
So basicly you're saying I should use Ford explorer parts right? I was leaning towards a carbed motor. a simple 2 barrel carb if you're wondering with about around 250 cfms maybe 300 at the most. So I won't have to move anything around right?
Why woulds you put a carbed motor in when you can put efi with just a little more effort and wiring.
  #12  
Old 08-10-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I think you'd be starving that engine for fuel with only that much goin' into it.





What.....no price down to the penny like last time?

Torsion bars are "far superior and advanced" compaired to twin i beams?
that was before I had photo capabilities. I was also talking about the additional components and quality compared to some of the older models. Ford really stepped up their quality over the years.
  #13  
Old 08-10-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark98xlt View Post
Why woulds you put a carbed motor in when you can put efi with just a little more effort and wiring.
That was an option I was considering but have said no to carbs. I did go to autozone and got a price quote on the 302 long block, $1,500 but you'll have to get your intake manifold, and valve covers seperate. I also looked at Edlebrock's new version of their Pro Flo injection intake system and it seemed pretty simple to put together and is pre programmed (The ecu) out of the box. Pretty neat stuff. Oh I missed what I was looking for by 2 hours at a local salvage yard. Some dude just totaled a 5.0 mustang about a week ago and the motor was in the owners shop for a mere 2 days. he also had 2 versions of the 4.6 but I missed those by a couple of days. He did have the trans I needed though.
  #14  
Old 08-14-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
An Update...

Ok guys, I finally got a little bit of info that could help with my swap. The AOD tranny is scrapped. I decided to use a T-56 transmission and I'm going today to look at some off road tires too. I also thought about putting in 4WD. After seeing Extreme 4x4 this past saturday they finished their 5.7 liter Hemi swap in that jeep they bought. I also got to thinking about engine choices too. The 302 is in and I can always upgrade the smog equipment. Anybody no what off road tires I can get that are street legal? Plus I'm also looking at a lift kit as well.
  #15  
Old 08-14-2008
XeRo's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here, Now...Ohio
Posts: 0
or just go to the scrap yard and find a used 302 efi for under $500
  #16  
Old 08-14-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeRo View Post
or just go to the scrap yard and find a used 302 efi for under $500
Yes I know. I already missed one by 2 hours. I missed the 4.6 liter out of a Cobra by 2 days. Damn it I say. he still has the tranny for it though. There's also a local auto machine shop here that does alot of engine work and he's very reasonable too.
  #17  
Old 08-14-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
What off road tires are not street legal lol
  #18  
Old 08-14-2008
mossyoak03's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Anybody no what off road tires I can get that are street legal?
when you go to buy mud tires ask them if they are street legal just about every tire is street legal except for paddle tires
  #19  
Old 08-14-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
youve got to be ****ing kidding me.
  #20  
Old 08-14-2008
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
This is a joke, the guy is talking freaking Edelbrock Pro flow stuff now. I mean yeah, thats great on an older vehicle that was originally carbed, but if he uses the wiring harness and fuel injection setup from an Explorer it will be cheaper and much easier, not to mention it will be MAF instead of speed density (Edelbrock setup is SD), and it will also be OBD II and Emissions legal. The Proflow setup is neither.
  #21  
Old 08-14-2008
tmsoko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
youve got to be ****ing kidding me.

+1...


I yie yie!!!
  #22  
Old 08-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak03 View Post
when you go to buy mud tires ask them if they are street legal just about every tire is street legal except for paddle tires
Thanks man.
  #23  
Old 08-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05prerunner View Post
This is a joke, the guy is talking freaking Edelbrock Pro flow stuff now. I mean yeah, thats great on an older vehicle that was originally carbed, but if he uses the wiring harness and fuel injection setup from an Explorer it will be cheaper and much easier, not to mention it will be MAF instead of speed density (Edelbrock setup is SD), and it will also be OBD II and Emissions legal. The Proflow setup is neither.
No kidding. If I end up going to get that engine from "O" reilys then yeah I'll go that route because the motor I got a quote for is a 1970's carbed motor which we all know won't pass emissions testing to save its life. The edlebrock Proflo Injection maniflod I looked at was their latest model and can be set up for emissions I'll have to order it and it will cost more money though. The reason I may have to go there is because I can't get to a salvage yard fast enough to find what I'm looking for. I missed another 302 yesterday by 30 minutes. he sold it for around $300.00 bucks because it needed some work done to it. That's what I was told by the owner. He also sold the trans I found too. damn it I say. I just can't win.

Last edited by knightmare1015; 08-15-2008 at 12:43 PM.
  #24  
Old 08-15-2008
XeRo's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Here, Now...Ohio
Posts: 0
well go early in the morning, when they open. If not tell the owner that you are interested in a 302 and leave your number.

Don't be stupid and waste thousands when you don't have to.
  #25  
Old 08-15-2008
tmsoko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 247
There are other places to find 302s (and better places)...

Look for a 1999-2001 Explorer V8.

Check places like:
www.craigslist.com
www.ebay.com
www.car-parts.com

Don't bother messing around with a 302 from another vehicle. The explorer 302 was one of the best out of the box 302s produced. GT40 heads, intake, etc.. The explorer will also give you most of the parts you need. I constantly see complete explorer wrecks for ~$1000 or less.
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... annguyen1981 General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 12-05-2013 03:35 PM
please tell me where my PCV is, Please (did search) uplandhunter General Technical & Electrical 16 02-07-2011 09:34 AM
E-Brake help. Please help me out. Need to get done asap. rybread5520 General Technical & Electrical 2 01-02-2009 10:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.