My 5.0L swap attempt :) - Page 20 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #476  
Old 09-14-2009
ford rules's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: pinckney,MI
Posts: 391
Ooh didnt think about the emissions side off it since we dont have emission laws in michigan
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 09-14-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
As long as you have no DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) the you will pass. Actually, they will be testing it to ranger standards, and since you have no O2 sensors behind the last 2 cats, you can remove them with no issues. Im not trying to persuade you to take them off, Im just saying that it won't throw any codes without them. Actually, I have to pass emissions too, and I have not cats, and for some reason it doesn't throw codes for that. They do look under the truck for the converter, so I tack welded a heat shield from a cat to one of the pipes to fool the inspector and make them think it has one on it. But they just do an OBD2 test like you mentioned, so as long as I have no codes and they think it has cats, then it passes.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 09-14-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
There are a few more sensors on the engine harness: MAF sensor, Intake Air Temp sensor, 2 coolant temp sensors (one for the PCM, one for the gauge), Crank Position Sensor. Besides sensors, there are connections for the Idle Air Control valve, 2 coilpacks, radio noise capacitor, alternator, A/C compressor clutch plus the large connectors to the PCM and the transmission subharness.
Bob, I know there is a temp sensor at the front of the intake under the coil packs near the thermostat housing. Which one is that? And where is the second one located at?
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 09-14-2009
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05prerunner View Post
Bob, I know there is a temp sensor at the front of the intake under the coil packs near the thermostat housing. Which one is that? And where is the second one located at?
Other years may be slightly different but here's how my 99 Ex 5.0 is set up:

Engine Coolant Temp Sender (gauge): screws into the intake manifold DS near the #5 injector. Tan connector, single signal wire, case ground.

Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (PCM): screws into the hex t-fitting on the heater pipe PS near the #1 injector. Gray connector, 2-wire (signal and PCM-supplied ground).
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 09-14-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Other years may be slightly different but here's how my 99 Ex 5.0 is set up:

Engine Coolant Temp Sender (gauge): screws into the intake manifold DS near the #5 injector. Tan connector, single signal wire, case ground.

Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (PCM): screws into the hex t-fitting on the heater pipe PS near the #1 injector. Gray connector, 2-wire (signal and PCM-supplied ground).
I used the gauge sensor bung to screw my aftermarket gauge into, It reads hotter than what it should be(sitting at 210-15ish on normal driving) But I checked in the pcm and its at 185-190, So I just use it to watch how much it goes up and down from its norm. I can see it go to about 230 and then the thermostat must open then and it cools back down to that 215 number.

Bob you think thats just because where I have it. Sensor might work better in a coolant tube on the in side right?
Reply With Quote
  #481  
Old 09-15-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05prerunner View Post
As long as you have no DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) the you will pass. Actually, they will be testing it to ranger standards, and since you have no O2 sensors behind the last 2 cats, you can remove them with no issues. Im not trying to persuade you to take them off, Im just saying that it won't throw any codes without them. Actually, I have to pass emissions too, and I have not cats, and for some reason it doesn't throw codes for that. They do look under the truck for the converter, so I tack welded a heat shield from a cat to one of the pipes to fool the inspector and make them think it has one on it. But they just do an OBD2 test like you mentioned, so as long as I have no codes and they think it has cats, then it passes.
They will be doing a "tampering" inspection too to make sure I have all emission's crap hooked up so thats probably not an option for me. If i have it, its gonna be installed or connected so i dont have to worry about failing!
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 09-15-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
They will be doing a "tampering" inspection too to make sure I have all emission's crap hooked up so thats probably not an option for me. If i have it, its gonna be installed or connected so i dont have to worry about failing!
The mirror under the truck is the "tampering inspection," they do that here too, and I passed with no cats lol. However, if you got them, and can get them all i there, use them. It isn't gonna hurt your power or Fuel Mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Sending the truck down to have the exhaust made up!!! Hopefully ill have it back by tonight :)
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
So its at the exhaust shop, the final 2 cats welded on, Y pipe to SI/DO flowmaster 40 series muffler the 2.5in pipes dumped in where the spare tire used to be. The truck isnt done yet or running right. Im running REAL rich. I think i need to swap out the fuel pressure regulator from the explorer in to my truck. That will be done next week hopefully.. It also doesnt help that I have close to 800lbs in my bed right now lol...

The efan is holding up REALLLL well with the ranger radiator. I havent had any cooling problems what so ever!! Ill keep an eye on the temp gauge anyway! Just gotta work out the kinks and hopefully ill have it perfect by the end of next week!
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Well they have to keep the truck over night haha... I bet with my request to keep all cats, y pipe, flow master muffler, its taking some time and effort to put it together in that tight spot under the truck lol
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 09-16-2009
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Excited to see this all done man!
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Here's a little FYI about the fuel pressures between the 3.0 Flex Fuel motor and the 5.0 motor.....

According to the Ford Manual:

3.0 Flex Fuel(engine running):55+/-8psi
Explorer(engine running):65+/-8psi

Last edited by MudSlanger; 09-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 09-16-2009
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
Are those pressure at idle?
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Im not sure... This is what it says

Fuel Pressure-3.0L V6 Flex Fuel engine. Engine running/Key on engine off
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 09-16-2009
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Here's a little FYI about the fuel pressures between the 3.0 Flex Fuel motor and the 5.0 motor.....

According to the Ford Manual:

3.0 Flex Fuel(engine running):55+/-8psi
Explorer(engine running):~42 psi
1999~2001 Explorer:
65 +/- 8 PSI

1998~2000 Ranger 3.0L Flex-fuel:
55 +/-8 PSI

1998~2000 Ranger (exc. Flex-fuel):
64 +/-8 PSI

2001~2009 Ranger (all):
60~65 PSI
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old 09-16-2009
ford rules's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: pinckney,MI
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
1999~2001 Explorer:
65 +/- 8 PSI

1998~2000 Ranger 3.0L Flex-fuel:
55 +/-8 PSI

1998~2000 Ranger (exc. Flex-fuel):
64 +/-8 PSI

2001~2009 Ranger (all):
60~65 PSI
What about older rangers (95) and explorers (96)
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 09-16-2009
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford rules View Post
What about older rangers (95) and explorers (96)
98-back EFI Explorers and 97-back EFI Rangers use a return-fuel system with a vacuum contolled regulator at the fuel rail. These systems typically run around 30 PSI at idle and 40~45 PSI at WOT (zero vacuum to the regulator).
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Im goin to swap out regulators anyway because im running really rich and i can smell it pretty good lol
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 09-16-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
Yes, and if you don't use the return (or gets kinked like in my recent situation) it will run run rich and have poor idle qualities. But the funny thing is, according to the mileage computer, I was getting better mileage with the return pinched? Looks to me like it would've been worse since it was forcing extra fuel into the engine...

There's a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail. Check you pressure with a gauge and see if it's too high.
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 09-16-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
right so when all the swap info things tell you about needing the explorer FPR its mainly for the older motors/trucks with the FRL.

Chris IDK if its your fpr but go ahead and see what happens, I guess cant hurt
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Can you get this gauge at an auto parts store??
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by INT3RC3PTOR View Post
right so when all the awap info things tell you about needing the explorer FPR its mainly for the older motors/trucks with the FRL.
Im gonna swap it out anyway.. Maybe im just smelling it pretty badly because i was pretty much running open headers? I had no back pressure it seemed like.. and 800 pounds in the bed lol I seriously need to take that motor out the back of my truck lol
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 09-16-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Can you get this gauge at an auto parts store??
yeah you can rent them at autozone etc I believe. but most are not that expensive either.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 09-16-2009
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Im goin to swap out regulators anyway because im running really rich and i can smell it pretty good lol
The numbers that I posted from the Shop Manuals say that it should be running lean (~55 PSI being supplied to an engine calibrated for 65 PSI). You should set it up to run the Explorer pressure. Swapping the FPR should do it assuming that it fits.
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 09-16-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Yea Ill take care of this regulator as soon as I get it in the mail sometime next week. That will be my big project next week thats for sure!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call me Int3rc3ptor_wannabe(project attempt to make shane's truck kinda cool, ver1.1) Fx4wannabe01 Snapshots 47 04-29-2008 01:25 AM
First bumper attempt.. 4LO 4.0 Fabrication & Tool Tech 22 11-26-2007 10:29 AM
My first attempt at wheel polishing wvcat Auto Detailing 101 11 09-11-2007 05:27 AM
My first fabrication attempt v. skidplate QWIKSNK Fabrication & Tool Tech 15 06-13-2006 02:14 PM
Spark plugs / Attempt to kill RF noise. VENTING!!! Grrrr. FireRanger 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 32 11-15-2005 06:56 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.