My 5.0L swap attempt :) - Page 5 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #101  
Old 08-10-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Is this a Single Cam motor??? HO an over head cam or no?
I think you need to do a lot more research if you're not sure on that question.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-10-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
its a quad cam cmon man
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-10-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
Nuh uh, its a penta cam, didnt yall know that 5.0 stood for 5 cams? lol
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-10-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
oh, **** see I knew it was somthing like that. I feel so cool now, I can brag to all the ricers that I have 5 cams!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-10-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Envy View Post
I think you need to do a lot more research if you're not sure on that question.
hey, all i asked was a question... All i expect is an answer to that question, NOT this remark right here! And have you noticed how much research ive done if i have all this information already posted about everything i need and need to do. Im not too knowledgable on this motor and im working on it, give me time!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-10-2009
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
no time! get it in yet?
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
I get the motor tomorrow so the work starts then :)
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-11-2009
05prerunner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Apison, TN
Posts: 483
Lol, we are just kidding around man. Everybody has got to start somewhere. Notice I didn't give you any crap when I answered your question... I even gave you a brief overview as to how to swap the cam. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
oh i know, its all good.. Kinda hate when ppl poke their head in on a thread who never posted before and shoot a smart *** comment like that when it does nothing to help me. Trust me, ive searched on the cam, but never really had a solid answer so i asked! :)

It was to that ENVY dude anyway.. you guys have been helping so no beef with you all
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-11-2009
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
If your still kinda unsure on how to build different parts of the motor, there are a couple of excellent 302 rebuild books out there. I use mine quite frequently. Very helpful to see how to do each part of the motor build/rebuild and the appropriate torque specs. The other book I have found very helpful is a 302 Dyno results book. Tests everything from cam, intake, to heads. Really useful when trying to compare different products on the market.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
hmm ill have to look into that, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 08-11-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
oh i know, its all good.. Kinda hate when ppl poke their head in on a thread who never posted before and shoot a smart *** comment like that when it does nothing to help me. Trust me, ive searched on the cam, but never really had a solid answer so i asked! :)

It was to that ENVY dude anyway.. you guys have been helping so no beef with you all
I'm just saying I think if I was going to swap in a certain motor into my vehicle I'd want to know everything about it before I started the project. The design, the pit falls, the years it was made, the interchangability. I'd want to know a motor top to bottom before I thought about swapping one into my vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Ok so you are telling me that 80% of the people shouldnt drive because they dont know what motors are in their vehicles or know it from top to bottom? Dude im not building a race truck here.. Im simply putting an explorer motor into the ranger. I dont know crap about my 3.0 motor besides that it's slow and garbage now. Im introducing myself to a new motor(new to me) in my truck because i decided to upgrade. Considering the fact that i wanted a fairly EASY swap with little to no modifications needed, I thought this motor would fit my needs perfectly. It has great torque numbers, lots of parts are available for it and its been around for a lonnnnnnng time. You really cant learn a motor over night. It just doesnt happen. I know pretty much the basics. Internally im learning slowly and will get there one day. People were throwing out options to get this 5.0 to perform to its greatest possibility with bolt on's. I asked questions from there. This is my DD and Im going to keep this motor fairly stock with the exception of a few minor bolt ons. If i was swapping in a fully built motor i know nothing about in to my truck then i could take that critisim. Here is me tryin to get my truck back on the street with a bigger better motor thats all... Back on topic please :) Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 08-11-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Ok so you are telling me that 80% of the people shouldnt drive because they dont know what motors are in their vehicles or know it from top to bottom? Dude im not building a race truck here.. Im simply putting an explorer motor into the ranger. I dont know crap about my 3.0 motor besides that it's slow and garbage now. Im introducing myself to a new motor(new to me) in my truck because i decided to upgrade. Considering the fact that i wanted a fairly EASY swap with little to no modifications needed, I thought this motor would fit my needs perfectly. It has great torque numbers, lots of parts are available for it and its been around for a lonnnnnnng time. You really cant learn a motor over night. It just doesnt happen. I know pretty much the basics. Internally im learning slowly and will get there one day. People were throwing out options to get this 5.0 to perform to its greatest possibility with bolt on's. I asked questions from there. This is my DD and Im going to keep this motor fairly stock with the exception of a few minor bolt ons. If i was swapping in a fully built motor i know nothing about in to my truck then i could take that critisim. Here is me tryin to get my truck back on the street with a bigger better motor thats all... Back on topic please :) Thanks for the input
Whatever. The best of luck to you making it work. I'm just saying I think I'd read up some more before I decided to swap something else in.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 08-11-2009
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
Ok so you are telling me that 80% of the people shouldnt drive because they dont know what motors are in their vehicles or know it from top to bottom? Dude im not building a race truck here.. Im simply putting an explorer motor into the ranger. I dont know crap about my 3.0 motor besides that it's slow and garbage now. Im introducing myself to a new motor(new to me) in my truck because i decided to upgrade. Considering the fact that i wanted a fairly EASY swap with little to no modifications needed, I thought this motor would fit my needs perfectly. It has great torque numbers, lots of parts are available for it and its been around for a lonnnnnnng time. You really cant learn a motor over night. It just doesnt happen. I know pretty much the basics. Internally im learning slowly and will get there one day. People were throwing out options to get this 5.0 to perform to its greatest possibility with bolt on's. I asked questions from there. This is my DD and Im going to keep this motor fairly stock with the exception of a few minor bolt ons. If i was swapping in a fully built motor i know nothing about in to my truck then i could take that critisim. Here is me tryin to get my truck back on the street with a bigger better motor thats all... Back on topic please :) Thanks for the input
Well said, bud :-) I do have to say - with the knowledge you have recieved, and have given in this thread - It is rather annoying to read people posting 1 line smart aleck responses concerning your questions..

While I myself don't know anything about this engine, I did just now find a rather interesting read about the short block 302:
Ford 302 V8 Engine Buildup- Car Craft Magazine


Perhaps something in there will help you out!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
oh great, thanks mike. NOW i have to buy new heads so i can get an extra 100 HP.... :( damnnnn you jk :-P
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 08-11-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
oh great, thanks mike. NOW i have to buy new heads so i can get an extra 100 HP.... :( damnnnn you jk :-P
The heads off the explorer should be much better than GT mustang heads. Explorer heads are GT40 P heads which are a big time improvement over all other stock small block ford heads, excluding Boss/351C heads.
People on the stang forums say the GT40 P heads are worth about 40 hp over E7's/stock 5.0 heads.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
With those numbers in hand, we made three changes in two steps: first, we bolted on a set of Air Flow Research's 50-state-legal 165cc aluminum cylinder heads. Equipped with 1.90/1.60-inch intake/exhaust valves, these heads are designed to clear the valve-relief notches in the stock forged-aluminum pistons without modification, making them an easy bolt-on.
But the heads they made a 100 hp with arent stock... Better valves resulting in better flow means more horsepower.. But If i were to get the GT40p heads port and polished and better valves then I might see these kind of gains in the explorer heads.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 08-11-2009
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
You can't normally run a GT40 P head because it has a different spark plug angle that is not compatible with alot of headers, but i'm not positive with the Torque Monsters. The explorer does come with Gt40 Heads though which have bigger intake and exhaust valves over E7 heads, with high flow numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
I just bought the torque monster headers and they are made for these gt40p heads and made to access the spark plugs as well. Its definetly a work of art theose headers are.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 08-11-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlanger View Post
But the heads they made a 100 hp with arent stock... Better valves resulting in better flow means more horsepower.. But If i were to get the GT40p heads port and polished and better valves then I might see these kind of gains in the explorer heads.

Yeah I saw they weren't stock. You can't make power with stock GT/E7 heads. They're terrible. The GT40p heads are pretty decent for a stock head, about up there with a stock Chevy 350 head in terms of flow #'s. I personally wouldn't invest a lot of money in them though trying to get performance. You might spend $700-1000 to get new valves, the heads freshened up and get them ported. You can probably get a set of aluminum heads for about $1000 for a 5.0. The GT40p heads would be a pretty decent head for a DD. Although if you can afford better heads then go ahead and do so. If you can got the money better heads and less cam is always a good thing for a daily driver.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-11-2009
MudSlanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,462
The Explorer motor im getting has GT40p heads on it already! I think ill just stick with these heads for the time being!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-11-2009
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
You could clean them up a little bit yourself. Not quite as helpful as a professional job, but can help smooth out the flow paths and remove some air restrictions without the hefty price.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-12-2009
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,765
IMHO... Unless you are racing, aluminum heads are not worth the money as is Polishing th eports on OEM heads.
If you race the truck/engine then go for it; both of these mods start working when you hit the higher rpm ranges not in the 1500/3000 rpm range that most of us drive in especially on the trails.
Stock GT40 head from an X will work great as is on the street, OK maybe get them cleaned up, new valves or a good valve job, new head gaskets and seals but keep it simple unless you have the need.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-12-2009
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
You can't normally run a GT40 P head because it has a different spark plug angle that is not compatible with alot of headers, but i'm not positive with the Torque Monsters. The explorer does come with Gt40 Heads though which have bigger intake and exhaust valves over E7 heads, with high flow numbers.
You can run the P heads with most headers... you just need a 90 deg plug boot/wire.

The thing that blows is you have to pull the header to change the plug.

ps... for cheap used hop ups check out the clasifieds on corral.net. The mustang guys are always trying to ditch their old parts when upgrading.

Last edited by ShoNuff82; 08-12-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call me Int3rc3ptor_wannabe(project attempt to make shane's truck kinda cool, ver1.1) Fx4wannabe01 Snapshots 47 04-29-2008 01:25 AM
First bumper attempt.. 4LO 4.0 Fabrication & Tool Tech 22 11-26-2007 10:29 AM
My first attempt at wheel polishing wvcat Auto Detailing 101 11 09-11-2007 05:27 AM
My first fabrication attempt v. skidplate QWIKSNK Fabrication & Tool Tech 15 06-13-2006 02:14 PM
Spark plugs / Attempt to kill RF noise. VENTING!!! Grrrr. FireRanger 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 32 11-15-2005 06:56 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.