Power Stroke Diesel in a Ranger - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-06-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Power Stroke Diesel in a Ranger

now before you guys get all excited thinking this thread is about a ranger that has a power stroke its not! lol Im starting this thread because I would like to know plus i know some info and others im sure would also like to know what can and cant be done. ill share info along the way. First off has anyone seen a diesel in a ranger thats larger than 4 banger? and anyone ever thought of puttin somthing that large in a ranger? whats stopping you?

Last edited by blackbetty; 06-06-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 506
aahahahahahahahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
My friend helped swap a diesel engine from a forklift into a Ranger. That's the most details I know. I was talking to him about a diesel ranger (he has a big diesel dodge) and he's a mechanic. He said it was fast as ***** after all was said and done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Its possible but the $$ you'd have into it would be rediculus.

Ever seen the engine bay of a PSD? They are crammed, and i mean CRAMMED into a fullsize truck bay, i dont think it would be very easy for a ranger swap to say the least.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
I forsee so much custom stuff that will need to be made or modified to make that feasible at all. If it even fits.

Is a v8/v10 diesel bigger than a modular motor, which won't fit in a ranger engine bay. Plus you would need to adapt the transmission and the rear end to a ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2007
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
The future is the 3.8L v8 from a T-Bird or Lincoln LS. 280 HP. New enough to not have emmissions since it was made through at least 2006. SOmeone do it. It has to fit easier than a 4.6. You can get an automatic tranny with a paddle stick (optional to shift when you want it to shift- up or down).

All aluminum block. DOHC. No aftermarket support but you don;t need it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2007
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Put it in the bed of the ranger like a monster truck lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2007
dlibson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 185
First off, pinecone, a mod motor fits just fine. Trust me, I would know. Secondly, anything is doable. You could fit a PSD if you wanted. But the expense would be huge. Just the cost of the drivetrain alone is killer. Suspension work, firewall work, core support work, rear end swap, and that's just if it's a 2WD. If you going 4WD, ouchh.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2007
98TexasRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 395
Not to mention the Weight factor. I know one of the biggest things that people DID NOT like about the 7.3 was the it was very heavy. People that took them off road, even with 4WD were getting stuck! I can't imagin what that weight would do in a Ranger. I know the newer PSD are smaller and lighter, maybe they would work?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Its possible but the $$ you'd have into it would be rediculus.

Ever seen the engine bay of a PSD? They are crammed, and i mean CRAMMED into a fullsize truck bay, i dont think it would be very easy for a ranger swap to say the least.

yes as a matter of fact i have! i work at ford as a diesel mechanic. theres a lot of pointless stuff there that can be relocated! and makes it look like theres no space. Im taking out an 6.0L from a f550 that has a broken flywheel and cracked crankshaft, all which is under warrenty What i see taking up the most room is the turbo, down pipes, and the massive 4 inch exhaust. Then in the front is the rad and intercooler and boost tubes for the turbo. Everything else is no different than any other v8 excpet that one is diesel, deisel is MUCH heavier, makes a ton more power. Ill take some pictures hopefully today if i have some time to show you guys and maybe i can get some dimensions too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TexasRanger
Not to mention the Weight factor. I know one of the biggest things that people DID NOT like about the 7.3 was the it was very heavy. People that took them off road, even with 4WD were getting stuck! I can't imagin what that weight would do in a Ranger. I know the newer PSD are smaller and lighter, maybe they would work?
that is true! i talked to some of the other mechanics that worked there longer than i have and found out that 7.3 is also lighter than 6.4 although the weight difference is a few pounds. were talking about 1000 pounds for PSD engine. The difference between the 7.3 and 6.4 is that the 6.4 uses a variable vane turbo while the 7.3 uses a waste gate turbo----MUCH better and more reliable than the 6.4. The 7.3 doesnt use an intake manifold, doesnt have an EGR, the FICM isnt mounted on the engine and just small stuff like that which adds up.

Last edited by blackbetty; 06-07-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-07-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibson
First off, pinecone, a mod motor fits just fine. Trust me, I would know. Secondly, anything is doable. You could fit a PSD if you wanted. But the expense would be huge. Just the cost of the drivetrain alone is killer. Suspension work, firewall work, core support work, rear end swap, and that's just if it's a 2WD. If you going 4WD, ouchh.

Use the suspension, drivetrain from the SD couldnt you? And it doesnt have to be a new one. You could use an engine from a 97 and up lets say, you would be surprised what you could find for cheap! Theres a guy in my neighbourhood seling a rebuilt 7.3 motor with the tranny for $3200. I would also imagine that you would have to box the frame or do some kind of frame work when your talking about that much torque.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Yeah but arent the heads just massive on them as well? Your still going to need the turbo, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler/boost tubes for a ranger swap anyway. Idk how that would all go into the ranger's engine bay.

The 6.0 also uses a variable vain turbo which is problematic as well. The vains get stuck/frozen inside the turbo itself causing unnecessary turbo lag.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Yeah but arent the heads just massive on them as well? Your still going to need the turbo, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler/boost tubes for a ranger swap anyway. Idk how that would all go into the ranger's engine bay.

The 6.0 also uses a variable vain turbo which is problematic as well. The vains get stuck/frozen inside the turbo itself causing unnecessary turbo lag.

yes, but arent the heads massive on any v8 compared to a ranger? No doubt they are larger but not much larger than an exploder or mustang v8-5.0. I think the PS engine would have height clearance issues cuz of the oil filter and turbo.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-07-2007
GregR's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wanamingo, MN
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy
The future is the 3.8L v8 from a T-Bird or Lincoln LS. 280 HP. New enough to not have emmissions since it was made through at least 2006. SOmeone do it. It has to fit easier than a 4.6. You can get an automatic tranny with a paddle stick (optional to shift when you want it to shift- up or down).

All aluminum block. DOHC. No aftermarket support but you don;t need it.
Do you mean the 3.9L V8? The 3.8 was a V6.

Here's a pic of a T-bird 3.9 V8. There's alot of crap hanging down in front. Might not be a very easy swap.



Greg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
id love to have that in my ranger... the v8 desiel f450 i drive at work is faster then my truck and its a freaking dump truck ha
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-07-2007
coolpeoplswillis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 350


id leave my girl of six years if i someone would put that in my 02....chip foose you sonofab*tch where are you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-07-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X2XLT
id love to have that in my ranger... the v8 desiel f450 i drive at work is faster then my truck and its a freaking dump truck ha

thats soo true!! lol i replaced an IPR on a 450 dump truck plus it had a pto and an oversize fuel cell and the thing still had *****.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-08-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibson
First off, pinecone, a mod motor fits just fine. Trust me, I would know. Secondly, anything is doable. You could fit a PSD if you wanted. But the expense would be huge. Just the cost of the drivetrain alone is killer. Suspension work, firewall work, core support work, rear end swap, and that's just if it's a 2WD. If you going 4WD, ouchh.

Yea a mod motor fits in a 89 Ranger easily, but the engine bays have changed quite a bit since the boxy rangers. Its easy to slap a big block into the old 87 S-10 I had to, b/c the engine bay was massive.

The bay is alot smaller now than the one that is in your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-08-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
you would have to do a super boxed frame....the torque of a larger Powerstroke would twist the frame in half........not to mention that there isn't enought room under a Rangers hood....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-08-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
you would have to do a super boxed frame....the torque of a larger Powerstroke would twist the frame in half........not to mention that there isn't enought room under a Rangers hood....

Im not doubting that, when your making 560 ft lbs of torque at 2000 RPM!!!! i think i would be a GREEAT idea to box it. As for the hood thats why theres fiberglass hood companies out there or you could do it yourself if you have the know how.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-08-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
Im not doubting that, when your making 560 ft lbs of torque at 2000 RPM!!!! i think i would be a GREEAT idea to box it. As for the hood thats why theres fiberglass hood companies out there or you could do it yourself if you have the know how.
there wouldn't be room side to side.....you would almost be better off to build a complete custom tube frame if you plan on running that much power in a Ranger.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-08-2007
blackbetty's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: aurora, ontario, CANADA
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
there wouldn't be room side to side.....you would almost be better off to build a complete custom tube frame if you plan on running that much power in a Ranger.....

the only thing stopping you side to side is the plastic fender wells and A/C box and the steering on the other side.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-08-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
the only thing stopping you side to side is the plastic fender wells and A/C box and the steering on the other side.
steering is pretty important IMO...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2007
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
^^ haha ya thats true
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2007
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
nah F steering.. the ***** goes in strait lines!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt bikes 250 2-stroke or 450 4-stroke 01_RED_RANGER General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 03-25-2014 07:32 PM
Question about 2.8 power stroke tdi Barmo13 Drivetrain Tech 7 10-01-2010 11:04 AM
Power Stroke Pulling Trees JoshK Vehicle & Meet Videos 7 06-07-2010 03:24 PM
For Sale: Up for sale is my 1996 KTM 300 MXC - 2 Stroke - SoCal Prerunner-Ranger Miscellaneous Items 0 09-06-2009 04:54 PM
Crower 6 stroke wydopnthrtl New Ideas 0 07-19-2008 09:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.