Some "low end" opinions please.... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Audio & Video Tech General discussion of audio and video for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 08-23-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
If going with 1 subwoofer, i'd recommend the Premium series, which is 100 more watts than the Reference series that I have. I've never heard one, but i'm planning it on being real decent. It all depends on the setup, box, amp, and such.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-23-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 18
i have an infinity reference 10 and it sounds great and hits hard. eventualy im going to upgrade to the kappa perfect cause i have heard them and damn do they sound good. so i would recomend them to ya, thats my .02 anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-23-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Before my setup right now, I had an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10dVQ, which is the best one. It is 400rms, and I blew 2 of them. I don't know how either, I didn't overpower it when listening to it. It just couldn't handle the power. It sounded good but not loud enough, at least to be running just 1 of them. I recommend them maybe for a 2 subwoofer setup.
An RE XXX would be my choice for a single speaker system.

Last edited by rideac1; 08-23-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
I know the xxx is optimal...I was thinking SX, but I want to just do something really small, barely even there...I'm getting tired of so much bass...I really don't listen to rap that much anymore and I'm all about SQ now.

thats why I'm just asking best SQ speaker...I am kinda dead set on the polks, I've heard great things about em...I duunoo it's still a little ways away :)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-23-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
I'm all about SQ also! I listen to everything, including rap, dance, Ashlee Simpson, 80's, everything! You don't need loud just to listen to rap.

I just looked up the specs on your amp, I didn't really know what it was.
I don't know exactly what the Polk sub you're looking at is, but if you heard good things about it and if your amp can handle it, go for it, that's all that matters!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideac1
I'm all about SQ also! I listen to everything, including rap, dance, Ashlee Simpson, 80's, everything! You don't need loud just to listen to rap.

I just looked up the specs on your amp, I didn't really know what it was.
I don't know exactly what the Polk sub you're looking at is, but if you heard good things about it and if your amp can handle it, go for it, that's all that matters!
Yea, I am just wondering your opinion...I don't wanna get RE, b/c I am only using 1 cu ft sealed, and I'm not going to spend x amount of dollars to throw it in a 1 cu ft sealed box

I may power it with an orion 1200, I may not, I'm leaning towards it though
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-23-2006
RudemAn85's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
I am powering my SX 12" with 1600 rms @ 1ohm in roughly a 1.5 cu/ft enclosure. It sounds excellent! IMO... I would like for it to hit slightly lower notes better than what it does now, but it's very comprobable to two mb reference 12's. I know the SX is aimed more for a ported box, but I opted for the sealed. Price was the main reason that didn't allow me to get an XXX. Possibly in the future...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudemAn85
I am powering my SX 12" with 1600 rms @ 1ohm in roughly a 1.5 cu/ft enclosure. It sounds excellent! IMO... I would like for it to hit slightly lower notes better than what it does now, but it's very comprobable to two mb reference 12's. I know the SX is aimed more for a ported box, but I opted for the sealed. Price was the main reason that didn't allow me to get an XXX. Possibly in the future...
I would love to get an SX or XXX, but the $ is killing me. I can't justify spending that much. Thats why I was asking about the mb's...I think I may just buy the MB though, it's like 70 dollars on ebay, it might even be cheaper. The question is now, more or less, what amp.

BTW, I'm not purchasing for a while, so I got more deciding :)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-23-2006
RudemAn85's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
I would love to get an SX or XXX, but the $ is killing me. I can't justify spending that much. Thats why I was asking about the mb's...I think I may just buy the MB though, it's like 70 dollars on ebay, it might even be cheaper. The question is now, more or less, what amp.

BTW, I'm not purchasing for a while, so I got more deciding :)

I would say that's an excellent decision... RE does come at a price unfortunatly :( Like Joe said, I would personally get a premium if you were going with MB. His references hit very nicely, but they aren't a very "loud" sub if you will...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudemAn85
I would say that's an excellent decision... RE does come at a price unfortunatly :( Like Joe said, I would personally get a premium if you were going with MB. His references hit very nicely, but they aren't a very "loud" sub if you will...
Sounds good! I was just wondering what kinda amp you reccomened? I like hifonics...good stable amps...but the orions are nice too...any reccomendations?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-23-2006
RudemAn85's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
I would say hifonics, soundstream, orion, or if you wanna match the mb up, mb makes there own mono sub amp that I've heard good news about.

I personally love the hifonics amp I just bought. 1. the price 2. the amount of power you get for the $$$

I'm sure the Quart amp would be an amazing amp also!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-23-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Your Orion 1200d would be perfect with the 725rms @ 2ohms. Get the dual 4ohm coil version of the MBQuart Premium which is 600rms. That is a setup and a half!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-23-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
even better we have someone selling an IDMAX in the classifieds. i am sure you could work a deal and get it reconed for alot cheaper than a new one. if you want SQ dont run a class D amp. the idmax in a 1.75cuft ported box sounds crisp, clean, and has high output. i have alot of experience with the ID equipment from comps and subs to eq's and horns. i would reccomend the IDMAX as one of the best SQ subs ever. they are very nice mated to a class A/B amp. dont have to take my word for it, but definitly better quality build and techs over at ID.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Thats what I was thinkin!!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
even better we have someone selling an IDMAX in the classifieds. i am sure you could work a deal and get it reconed for alot cheaper than a new one. if you want SQ dont run a class D amp. the idmax in a 1.75cuft ported box sounds crisp, clean, and has high output. i have alot of experience with the ID equipment from comps and subs to eq's and horns. i would reccomend the IDMAX as one of the best SQ subs ever. they are very nice mated to a class A/B amp. dont have to take my word for it, but definitly better quality build and techs over at ID.
I love ID..I have 2 friends that run em...I just don't wanna take up the space anymore. I didn't realize how much space my ext cab actually has. I am going to get that subzone box, it's 1.1 cu ft...lame...but I gotta do it!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-23-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideac1

Quest15210 - your 4 10's were probably the Discus model, I haven't heard any other MB subs but mine are great, especially for the low power they are!
i have used 2-6x9" MA AUdio subs in a 6th order bandpass that sounded better than the MB Quarts. i have probably messed around with more systems than all of you combined, plus i do it for a living. i have messed with the premium and reference and just do not perform like others which are out there. the problem iwith maxxsonix lies within the quality control. where as old MB used to allow 1% or less in questionable product, they allow 10% now. that leaves a large space for error and can lead to a huge batch of crap product. quality control issues own MB Quart these days. thats a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-23-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
I have heard alot of good about ID's and Soundsplinters also.

Some insight from caraudio.com forums:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ighlight=sq+12

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ht=mb+quart+12


I just want to say that my MB 12's are the best SQ subs i've heard, especially for the price. I haven't heard much other systems other than the normal, and some Memphis', which were decent.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-23-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
I love ID..I have 2 friends that run em...I just don't wanna take up the space anymore. I didn't realize how much space my ext cab actually has. I am going to get that subzone box, it's 1.1 cu ft...lame...but I gotta do it!
you can get away with a 1.1 cu ft box as long as the depth is sufficient and add in roughly 1.75-2.25lbs of polyfill. the amount of polyfill just depends on the taste of your sound. i wouldnt hesitate to strike a deal with glo on that sub and have hime send it directly to ID, call ID up and talk to matt. he may be able to give you an estimate of return time. just remember it is not safe to run an IDMAX off of a class D amp.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-23-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
you can get away with a 1.1 cu ft box as long as the depth is sufficient and add in roughly 1.75-2.25lbs of polyfill. the amount of polyfill just depends on the taste of your sound. i wouldnt hesitate to strike a deal with glo on that sub and have hime send it directly to ID, call ID up and talk to matt. he may be able to give you an estimate of return time. just remember it is not safe to run an IDMAX off of a class D amp.
One small problem...$

I'm shipping out my box, which is costing an *** load (friday)
I'm driving to orlando offroading (saturday)
I have to get new shocks (order on sunday/monday maybe if money is there)

So, I'm out a lottta money.

My thread was a feeler, I'm going to buy it peice by piece, and I wish I could afford that sub!!! That is a steal, hell even if it takes 3 months turn around...IDMAX's line of subs are sex!!!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-23-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
pm him and see whats up
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-24-2006
Bumpncarstereo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: btwn the Buff and the Roc
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
problem with these brands is like Adire and TCAB. what happens when they start to screw ppl over with warranties and prepaid orders. SI=good stuff, but where will they be in the long run? pm'd BTW
if that pm was for me i never got it.

as far as them lasting, i think they will. i know a guy (how cliche) that knows the owner...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-24-2006
RudemAn85's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
i have probably messed around with more systems than all of you combined, plus i do it for a living.


hahaha...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No 4 Low dash light, Is it in 4 Low? Squisher General Technical & Electrical 3 11-11-2012 06:50 PM
Need some opinions(front end questions) chevyslayer925 Drivetrain Tech 12 02-11-2010 09:32 AM
LOW LOW LOW RPMS JRacer 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 23 05-07-2009 12:25 AM
Tire Pressure: How low is to low??? xp1ik99 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 12 08-15-2006 08:52 PM
LOW LOW mileage......reasons? tchs_drummer06 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 37 03-22-2006 01:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.