The Truth About Ohms... - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Audio & Video Tech General discussion of audio and video for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 07-17-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Just so you know, posting something that somebody else says doesn't make them facts.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-17-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
this is hilarious. dude your a dumbass just go eat chloride tablets
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-17-2010
the Answer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Webster, Fl.
Posts: 363
its not all about the SPL what about SQL and SQ?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
Just so you know, posting something that somebody else says doesn't make them facts.
I thought my example of the electromagnet was a simple good answer. thats a fact. more electrons in a electro magnet produces a stronger magnetic flux. thats a fact.

Quote:
this is hilarious. dude your a dumbass just go eat chloride tablets
dude you been trolling for hours and thats all you have.. name calling. funny. choke on the fumes your amp puts out at 1 ohm.. you, of all people i figured you would be able to see through the BS and back me up.

what i find hilarious is that if my words are so wrong, then why, OH WHY! can no one prove this wrong... i just get called names. it doesn't take a genius to understand what im saying.

surly someone can post an intelligent answer otherwise... im all for an intelligent argument on the matter..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Answer View Post
its not all about the SPL what about SQL and SQ?
another bright answer. has nothing to do with not torturing your amps.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-17-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangOH View Post
dude you been trolling for hours and thats all you have.. name calling. funny. choke on the fumes your amp puts out at 1 ohm.. you, of all people i figured you would be able to see through the BS and back me up.

what i find hilarious is that if my words are so wrong, then why, OH WHY! can no one prove this wrong... i just get called names. it doesn't take a genius to understand what im saying.

surly someone can post an intelligent answer otherwise... im all for an intelligent argument on the matter..
My amp will be just fine at 1 ohm, because it's not a piece of ****. I'm not backing you up because what you say makes no sense. For whatever reason you think that like when you double the resistance you're also doubling the efficiency. Which is so far from the truth. Anyone who reads this that doesn't know anything about car audio please disregard it.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-17-2010
the Answer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Webster, Fl.
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangOH View Post
another bright answer. has nothing to do with not torturing your amps.
yea its a dumb answer like the dumb crap that u are trying to tell us wether or not its true. FYI we dont care what u say.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
For whatever reason you think that like when you double the resistance you're also doubling the efficiency.
your right. and thank you for finally giving me a reason for your remarks.. your right you don't, but you do gain some efficiency from the sub. fact right? a low resistance on your amp causes it to be less efficient. Fact right? (produces more heat and audible distortion) which is wasted energy.

sure you gain "a" db here and there by going with the lower ohm and more watt method. Great for someone who has a spl meter in their car getting measured during a competition.

but on a day to day basis.. why would you torture your amp for a inaudible gain of a db or two?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
yea its a dumb answer like the dumb crap that u are trying to tell us wether or not its true. FYI we dont care what u say.
go ahead an just leave the thread then. you don't care then why bother?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-17-2010
the Answer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Webster, Fl.
Posts: 363
because it doesnt matter if u run a amp at .5 or 1 ohm. if u know what ur doing with ur amp then u can run it at whatever u want. ive seen people that run amps at .37ohms with NO problems.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-17-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Any reason to keep this open?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-17-2010
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Any reason to keep this open?
I think if a consensus could be reached it would good information for people new to car audio
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-17-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangOH View Post
your right. and thank you for finally giving me a reason for your remarks.. your right you don't, but you do gain some efficiency from the sub. fact right? a low resistance on your amp causes it to be less efficient. Fact right? (produces more heat and audible distortion) which is wasted energy.

sure you gain "a" db here and there by going with the lower ohm and more watt method. Great for someone who has a spl meter in their car getting measured during a competition.

but on a day to day basis.. why would you torture your amp for a inaudible gain of a db or two?
Some but not nearly enough to make it worth it. Go look up how much an amp makes RMS at 1 ohm (a 1 ohm stable amp) and then look at how much it makes at 8 ohms. It ill be a TON more, more than a db here and theres worth of power. I run the lowest possible impedance possible because it gives me the most power, and my amp is rated for it.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
if u know what ur doing with ur amp then u can run it at whatever u want.
whats this special stuff your doing with your amp? the gain ****. how hard is that to master..

yay for that guy. he can run at .37 ohms. wow he must have won all types of awards with that system. awards for the worst sounding, loudest system.

trent on what terms would you close this thread?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-17-2010
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
I think if a consensus could be reached it would good information for people new to car audio
x2


people keep arguing back and forth and it doesent really get anyone anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-17-2010
the Answer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Webster, Fl.
Posts: 363
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
then look at how much it makes at 8 ohms.
trick question. never seen a power rating at 8 ohms. except in home audio equipment. which brings me to another point .. why are all home audio speakers 8 ohms. and lower wattage?

Quote:
It ill be a TON more, more than a db here and theres worth of power. I run the lowest possible impedance possible because it gives me the most power, and my amp is rated for it.
yeah no ****. yes you get more power out of the amp.... we know that... what your feeding those watts into is what the deal is.. put all those watts though a single loop of wire. that will give you a crazy low ohm load.. is it doing anything? no. same concept with a voice coil. just more loops. a low ohm coil will do the same as the single loop.
which is less work! less magnetic flux. less output. at double the watts..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-17-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
now run those subs with a 4 ohm coil off of the same amp .. yes you will lose a few db or so . you will be pushing less power but you will generally have the same output.. much less stress to the amp.

there is a difference between having a loud every day sub system and a competition system.. competition systems are made for Burps and short amount of usage.. Maximum dbs. would you want that for your daily driver? no you just want a loud *** system.

any of those db competitors run their system for hours at a time? if they do I would give them mad props for being able to run that loud of a system for extended periods of time.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-17-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
That amp is meant to handle that! It's not some Wal-Mart POS that some beaner picked up! Stfu about all these stupid ****ing "facts" and get over yourself already. You may be right because you posted some **** that somebody else posted but

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-17-2010
NATEFX407's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kawartha Lakes, ON
Posts: 459
RangOH, your explanation of the electromagnet with more or less coils makes perfect sense to me. I see exactly what you're getting at and it's true as far as I know. However, if I have a 2 ohm stable amp, and it's louder at 2 ohms than at 4, and still sounds good, you're damn right I'm gonna run it at 2 ohms. I don't really care if it's 'torturing' my amp.. if it's two ohm stable then it should be fine, if it fries, then I get another one.

I think it's a matter of sound quality.. I am an SQ guy personally, so if my sub sounded crappy or if I could tell that it's clipping, I would switch it up to a higher resistance. But I really doubt that I would be able to tell the difference. By the way I'm running my amp at 4 ohms, simply because I only have a single 4 ohm sub with a single voicecoil. I'd like to pick up a new dual voicecoil though and run it at 2 ohms. At 4 ohms I can pound bass for an hour and my amp will only be slightly warm to the touch, for what that's worth. I wish I could set it up for 2 so I could see the difference, in SQ, SPL, and heat.

Anyway, my 2 cents, all this is great information, the immaturity in this thread is unfortunate, because otherwise it is very educational. Unfortunately I now feel stupider after reading the last couple pages. Thanks for posting that though RangOH. It's something to think about!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-17-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEFX407 View Post
I am an SQ guy personally, so if my sub sounded crappy or if I could tell that it's clipping, I would switch it up to a higher resistance.
That makes zero sense to me as well. If your amp is clipping and you make the resistance higher you're going to have to turn your gain up, which equals even worse clipping if it was doing it to begin with. The smart thing to do would be to turn your gain down some and leave everything else alone...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-18-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Nate thanks for that... it did get out of hand.

Its a new day.

Quote:
If your amp is clipping and you make the resistance higher you're going to have to turn your gain up, which equals even worse clipping if it was doing it to begin with.
higher resistance will make the amp less likely to clip...even if you do have to turn the gains up high. the transistors will have to put out much less current at 8 ohms. your running them at low levels. there really shouldn't be any clip because your running them at half the output. on a 2 ohm load you would clip the signal at much lower gain because they are running full tilt already with no resistance to keep them in check.

One major draw back at low ohms is a loss of dynamic range. theres no longer soft tones and loud tones, its just loud tones and loud tones.. dynamics is gained when you have a powerful amp that is run at low output... the amp will move the sub effortlessly at the quieter tones, and slam the loud ones. its called having "headroom" your amp should always be more powerful then the speaker its driving. this whole gains thing would not even be in the equation if your equipment is selected right.

Quote:
I'd like to pick up a new dual voicecoil though and run it at 2 ohms. At 4 ohms I can pound bass for an hour and my amp will only be slightly warm to the touch, for what that's worth. I wish I could set it up for 2 so I could see the difference, in SQ, SPL, and heat.
Great! its always good to have first hand knowledge of what your doing. I wish more people would try this approach. instead of rangerboy's
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-18-2010
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
Im running my sub and amp at 2 ohms right now. I switched it yesterday for $*!ts and gigs to 4 ohms and it sounded really effin crappy it was clipping big time. maybe its just me.

Im not one to like over powering bass. I will admit i do like bass, but i like it clean and i like to hear the words and instruments in the song. I tried your higher ohm theory and i dont know if maybe i wasent adjusting the amp right but no matter where i turned any ***** it clipped horrible. Maybe ill mess with it again today, yesterday i ran out of time.

ive always ran mine on 2 ohm with this sub and amp combo and I have Never had my amp over heat or anything... Never smelled it cooking and i have cranked this baby sky high, for songs with tons of bass
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-18-2010
RangOH's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison, Ohio
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by btm757 View Post
Im running my sub and amp at 2 ohms right now. I switched it yesterday for $*!ts and gigs to 4 ohms and it sounded really effin crappy it was clipping big time. maybe its just me.

Im not one to like over powering bass. I will admit i do like bass, but i like it clean and i like to hear the words and instruments in the song. I tried your higher ohm theory and i dont know if maybe i wasent adjusting the amp right but no matter where i turned any ***** it clipped horrible. Maybe ill mess with it again today, yesterday i ran out of time.

ive always ran mine on 2 ohm with this sub and amp combo and I have Never had my amp over heat or anything... Never smelled it cooking and i have cranked this baby sky high, for songs with tons of bass
something went wrong there, what do you have, two 2 ohm coils? I try and help. what amp and what sub are you running.. i can tell you how it should have been wired.

I think that you may have inadvertently wired your sub down to 1 ohm yesterday. i think that you've had your sub running at 4 ohms this whole time.. with dual 2 ohm you only have a choice of 1 ohm or 4.

Last edited by RangOH; 07-18-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-18-2010
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
thats the amp im running
Car Audio Amplifiers - JackHammer JH300 | MTX Audio

The way I have it wired I checked with the manual and its a 2ohm or 4ohm deal and I have it wire the 2ohm way



Thats the sub im running its the single 4ohm
MTX Car Audio - Thunder4500 High-Performance subwoofer | MTX Audio
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ohms????? DeMar17 Audio & Video Tech 7 05-07-2009 12:25 PM
Here you go-TRUTH about blue Ricer bulbs T4EaterJonny Exterior Semi-Tech 13 02-03-2008 03:55 PM
Ohms and Amps- Wiring Question seminaryranger Audio & Video Tech 9 04-18-2007 11:44 AM
Ohms, Amps and Subs. 3906brad Audio & Video Tech 21 01-12-2006 06:28 PM
OK! It's time to tell the truth!!! RescueRangerFX4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 25 08-23-2005 03:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.