What detailing product company do you like best? - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Auto Detailing 101 General discussion of auto cleaning and detailing. Learn tips and tricks to keep your Ford Ranger looking its best.

View Poll Results: What company's products do you prefer?
Armorall 5 4.35%
Turle Wax 10 8.70%
Meguiars 76 66.09%
Black Magic 3 2.61%
other 21 18.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-13-2009
BCobe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fairfeild,California
Posts: 1,055
Deffenitly Meguires stuff( NXT, Claybar)
Invisible Glass for windows
I think Black Magic for tire dressing... I have been looking at the products on Autogeek.com and thinking about trying some of their stuff as far as wax, sealants, and interior products
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-13-2009
TheStig88's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
it took you that long to paste wax it??? lol
i'm very thorough....engine bay, tonneau cover, door jambs, a lot of little details
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-13-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Deffenitly Meguires stuff( NXT, Claybar)
Invisible Glass for windows
I think Black Magic for tire dressing... I have been looking at the products on Autogeek.com and thinking about trying some of their stuff as far as wax, sealants, and interior products
Check out Auto Detailing Supplies. Prices are better most of the time
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-13-2009
Smakes's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nowhere
Posts: 235
i just picked up a bottle of scratch x. those of you that use it, how do you prefer to apply it?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-13-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
On a pad. Work it in until you have whatever level of correction you want. It might take a couple applications
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-13-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
I get my NXT wash from Checker/Schucks/Kragen. I think. IDK really...I bought two jugs a long time ago...just been rockin' em. one in the garage, one in the shop. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-14-2009
Smakes's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nowhere
Posts: 235


all i have to say is GAWD DAM!!!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-14-2009
dave01978's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 539
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-15-2009
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
I use ZMeguiars and only Meguiars!

Especially with a red truck, it just seems Meguiars does the trick.

Carwash: Meguiars Deep Crystal Wash
Wax: NXT Generation 2.0
Meguiars Quik Detailer for inbewteen (live by this stuff, it is pure awesome!)
Meguiars Clay bar Kit.
Meguiars Paint cleanter
Meguiars Paint Polish
When i had my gold 94' Ranger, i used to use the their Hot Shine and mag polish, but now i dont have chrome and i sure as hell dont use tire shine, i hate it. I just clean my tires really well with a good degreaser (Awesome, Greased Lightening, Purple Power) and i make sure my white letter are good and WHITE!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-15-2009
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I know a ton of people that prefer something else over Zaino
I know a ton of people that have thrown hundreds oif dollars of other products away once they bought Zaino, and I have seen it in action. I only hang out with Car show people and I see more show winners with Zaino than any other product. Heck it even made my old Buick a show winner, the crappy paint just pops now and it has three trophys to its name with the new owner. All of them they commented on the paint finish.

10 Bucks says those that don't like it, don't know how to use it. It Goes on so thin, A little goes a long way. And unlike meguiars and most others their are no fillers. which is the lazy way of getting a good finish, zaino will last, while the others just fill scrathes and scuffs. Wich is why they will reapear after time.

~HJ

Last edited by HAZZARDJOHN; 09-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-07-2009
pacodiablo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,126
Meguiar's hands down. I have tried lots of different waxes, and I like the application and shine of Meguiar's paste more than anything else.

I also use their stuff on the interior. The Quik Interior Detailer spray and wipes work really well and don't leave a greasy mess on all the plastics.

Being able to find it at just about any store is a nice plus too.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-18-2009
RedRanger91XLT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 316
I absolutely love Turtle Wax. It restored my paint to a beautiful gleam. All of the clear coat is gone except from the door to the back of the cab on the driver side.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-02-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: frisco, tx
Posts: 151
ok yall working in the detail business i would have to say $hit on meguiars and zaino... we used that for a long time at work.. we tested a brand called tropi-care... best looking and easiest stuff i have ever used.... can have a truck waxed in 15 min and it last for months look them up... and no i dont work for them its just the most amazing product i have ever used and i had to share
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-02-2009
Zs02Edge's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ocala, Fl & Woodland, WA
Posts: 253
I'm with Hazzardjohn 100%, nothing better than Zaino.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-02-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: frisco, tx
Posts: 151
yeah.. if you have 3 hours to apply wax....sorry i rather something that takes 15 min looks just as good...lasts almost as long andvhas a hardener mixed in already
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-07-2009
Zs02Edge's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ocala, Fl & Woodland, WA
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypie218 View Post
yeah.. if you have 3 hours to apply wax....sorry i rather something that takes 15 min looks just as good...lasts almost as long andvhas a hardener mixed in already

15 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-28-2009
pacodiablo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,126
Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax:
Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  88.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0851.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.0 KB
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-28-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypie218 View Post
ok yall working in the detail business i would have to say $hit on meguiars and zaino... we used that for a long time at work.. we tested a brand called tropi-care... best looking and easiest stuff i have ever used.... can have a truck waxed in 15 min and it last for months look them up... and no i dont work for them its just the most amazing product i have ever used and i had to share
I am in the detailing business as well, specialize in car show prep as well as 1 and 2 step details. Just a part time hobby of mine and a buddy. We have numerous first place and podium finishes at national and state car shows.

Let me say this, both Megs and Zaino are good OTC products. The 'quick' product you talk about is garbage. It's a 1 month wax verse a 3-6 month wax like other much better products. We use Obsessive, Wolfgang, Menzerna, Megs, Pinnacle, etc, etc products on our customer cars. Most you cannot find in stores but can easily be bought over the Internet. If you are taking 15
min to wax a truck, I hope you are refunding peoples money...because you aren't in the detail business then. A real detailer will have to fix all the rids and marring you created from quickly applying a cheap 'hardening' wax. There is no true universal wax in the detailing business. Every car is different and requires different LSP waxes.

For you guys that just like the truck clean and not neccessarily into detailing hardcore, try out various OTC waxes from your local auto store and see which one you like the best. I will say stay away from turtle wax.

If you need advice on detailing and waxes, head over to...

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

They have a detailing 101 section that explains almost everything. Not try to advertise here mods, just listing a very good resource.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-28-2009
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bamaGT View Post
I am in the detailing business as well, specialize in car show prep as well as 1 and 2 step details. Just a part time hobby of mine and a buddy. We have numerous first place and podium finishes at national and state car shows.

Let me say this, both Megs and Zaino are good OTC products. The 'quick' product you talk about is garbage. It's a 1 month wax verse a 3-6 month wax like other much better products. We use Obsessive, Wolfgang, Menzerna, Megs, Pinnacle, etc, etc products on our customer cars. Most you cannot find in stores but can easily be bought over the Internet. If you are taking 15
min to wax a truck, I hope you are refunding peoples money...because you aren't in the detail business then. A real detailer will have to fix all the rids and marring you created from quickly applying a cheap 'hardening' wax. There is no true universal wax in the detailing business. Every car is different and requires different LSP waxes.

For you guys that just like the truck clean and not neccessarily into detailing hardcore, try out various OTC waxes from your local auto store and see which one you like the best. I will say stay away from turtle wax.

If you need advice on detailing and waxes, head over to...

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

They have a detailing 101 section that explains almost everything. Not try to advertise here mods, just listing a very good resource.

Good luck!
Just out of curiosity, what LSP products do you recommend for a vista blue vehicle? I mostly use products from the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line, but am always open to trying something new.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-28-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Just out of curiosity, what LSP products do you recommend for a vista blue vehicle? I mostly use products from the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line, but am always open to trying something new.
I have heard good things about Obsessives Wet Obsession on blue cars, but I have yet to try it on a blue car. I know on Redfire with a little wash and wax on a Cobra we did, yielded great results.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-28-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bamaGT View Post
If you are taking 15
min to wax a truck, I hope you are refunding peoples money...because you aren't in the detail business then. A real detailer will have to fix all the rids and marring you created from quickly applying a cheap 'hardening' wax. There is no true universal wax in the detailing business. Every car is different and requires different LSP waxes.
Agree 100%. Shoot you should spend that much time examining the car and tapping it off.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-28-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Agree 100%. Shoot you should spend that much time examining the car and tapping it off.
Thank you Trent. Taping plays a very important part as well, I will have to post some pics of a recent customer car, tape everywhere lol.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-02-2010
Original_ranger84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Homer, Ak
Posts: 85
For mine this is what I do...

Wash: Blue Corral soap (casue its cheap)
Bar: I have tried the Ice Claybar kit
Wax: Go over with one layer of Mothers carnuble and then hit it with megulars synthetic 2.0 tech paste
Wheels: also get wax
Tires: Blech White Works AWESOME! doesn't make em shiny but almost like new tires.
Interior: Armor All
Windows: RainX cleaner, then original formula RainX

I dont' believe in multi function products such as wash and wax.

Does the different soap really make a difference on the overall finish? I get the cheap stuff or use dilited simple green usually just wondering if it made a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-02-2010
lumpy4000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 379
best interior product.... some warm water and mild soap. just enough to cut the grease and grime. armor all and the such of "spray on, wipe off" product just smears the dirt around and does not actually clean. try it, you might be surprised as to how much dirt actually comes off a so called cleaned interior... never believed it myself, but my dad demonstrated it for me one day awhile ago and have been a believer ever since. the man is a **** retentive and spends about 8 hours or so detailing his car. cleanest car i have ever seen that is used daily. his car still looks like it rolled out of the factory if not better after 7 years.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-14-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockon, CA
Posts: 20
Wash with Duragloss Car wash
Clay bar from Meguiars
Clean and seal with Klasse All in One and Klasse Sealant Glaze
Top with either PoorBoys Natty Blue or Surf City Garage Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax

Original Ranger, I think you'll find that Meguiar's Tech Wax is actually a cleaner-wax. If your using the Tech Wax after the carnauba, your actually removing the carnauba as you lay on the Tech Wax.

Dedicated car wash products are designed to remove soil and contaminants without removing any sealants or waxes. Using Simple Green on the paint may remove any wax on the surface and promote oxidation by stripping the paint of essential oils.

Last edited by korny351; 01-14-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much do YOU spend on detailing? eyecon Auto Detailing 101 28 05-09-2009 07:36 PM
Wihch wheels do you like best? greygooseranger Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 33 11-22-2007 11:43 AM
If you have any detailing Questions..... Kosmo04 Auto Detailing 101 2 07-07-2007 01:14 PM
what year style taillights do you like the best? wdstone Exterior Semi-Tech 15 06-06-2005 09:17 PM
What do you like your interior to smell like? TippnOver Interior Semi-Tech 58 02-06-2005 11:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.