Axle Swap - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Axle Swap

Ok so last night i kind of messed my axle up if you want the story look in the 3.0 section under yep she broke.

Anyways i need a new axle and im going to the junk yard and i would like to put a 8.8in 4.10 limited slip in to replace my 7.5in 3.73 non limited slip axle and was woundering what I need to do this lke will it bolt right up.

I also have 4x4 so I know I need the gears for the front to but is that all or is there more up front i would need to replace. If so could i just get the front gears from the same truck i get the axle from. Thank you

Last part brakes um will the alxe come with them and if so do some rangers have disk or are they all drum in the back.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
If you get an 8.8 from a ranger then it will bolt right up. If you get it from an explorer then you will need to fab up new mounts or buy this kit.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ine-p-186.html

The rangers come with drum brakes and the explorers come with disc brakes.

You could get the gears from a yard but I think you would be better off just buying a set of 4.10's online. You could get a set for the front for about $200.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
If you are hurting for money you can always get the 4.10 rear and take the front drive shaft off until you can regear the front diff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yep, thats what I would. Just remove the driveshaft, then get the 4.10s put in later.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Yep, thats what I would. Just remove the driveshaft, then get the 4.10s put in later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
If you are hurting for money you can always get the 4.10 rear and take the front drive shaft off until you can regear the front diff.
Or just don't use 4wd. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
If its a live axle you have too. You might not if you have hubs, which he might so ignore my other post lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Its better if you remove it so you don't accidentally throw it into 4wd when you get stuck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
ok well I should be able to aford the new axle and the front gears from a junk jard I just thought it would be easy to pull the front gears from the same truck i get the back axle from. Is that all i would need is the front gears to match the back or do i need to worry about spline count and stuff.

And since im going from 7.5 to 8.8 do i need diffrent U bolts and plates or will mine work.

FYI im getting a whole new rear end so spline count in back does not matter
Thnak you. I dont know what I would do without you guys.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Nope, just make sure the front and rear gears match. I don't know about the different ubolts, I would go ahead and grab them just to be safe. As long as the axle comes from another Ranger, it will bolt straight up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
If you get the 8.8 from a ranger then everything is the same. Ubolts, etc...

But if you get it from and explorer then you need that kit. Because the Ubolts are different sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
ok thank you Now the Axle hunt is on i want the 8.8 4.10 LS but i could go with the 7.5/8.8 3.73 LS what do you recomend. If i stay 3.73 then i dont have to regear in front.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2009
Step Over the Edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
ok well I should be able to aford the new axle and the front gears from a junk jard I just thought it would be easy to pull the front gears from the same truck i get the back axle from. Is that all i would need is the front gears to match the back or do i need to worry about spline count and stuff.

And since im going from 7.5 to 8.8 do i need diffrent U bolts and plates or will mine work.

FYI im getting a whole new rear end so spline count in back does not matter
Thnak you. I dont know what I would do without you guys.
It would be much safer to get new gears for the front than pulling some from a yard. Installing/having installed the gears will cost more than the gears themselves. 99s are not live axle but it would still be a good idea to take out the front driveshaft until you get the gears in.

You're going to need new hardware moving up to the 8.8 either way, the axle tubes are different diameters. You have a few options to look for. FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios and limited slip and drum brakes, these will bolt right in but are very hard to find. Explorers 90-94 came with 31 spline, usually with either 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratios, sometimes limited slip, and drum brakes. Explorers 95-01 were same but upgraded to disc brakes. The Explorer 8.8s will NOT bolt right in. The spring perches and shock mounts need to be cut off. You can reuse them if you were careful but I strongly suggest the kit from ruffstuffspecialties with new spring perches, shock tabs, and u-bolts. Explorers mounted the springs underneath the axle while ranger mount the springs above the axle, this is the reason for the work.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I would get 8.8 open so u can throw in a locker or different ls later.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Over the Edge View Post
It would be much safer to get new gears for the front than pulling some from a yard. Installing/having installed the gears will cost more than the gears themselves. 99s are not live axle but it would still be a good idea to take out the front driveshaft until you get the gears in.

You're going to need new hardware moving up to the 8.8 either way, the axle tubes are different diameters. You have a few options to look for. FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios and limited slip and drum brakes, these will bolt right in but are very hard to find. Explorers 90-94 came with 31 spline, usually with either 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratios, sometimes limited slip, and drum brakes. Explorers 95-01 were same but upgraded to disc brakes. The Explorer 8.8s will NOT bolt right in. The spring perches and shock mounts need to be cut off. You can reuse them if you were careful but I strongly suggest the kit from ruffstuffspecialties with new spring perches, shock tabs, and u-bolts. Explorers mounted the springs underneath the axle while ranger mount the springs above the axle, this is the reason for the work.
Good info except they never came with 4.56's.

And I would get an 8.8 out of a ranger if I were you. Will bolt right in and you could always do a disc brake conversion if you wanted to.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2009
Step Over the Edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
Good info except they never came with 4.56's.

And I would get an 8.8 out of a ranger if I were you. Will bolt right in and you could always do a disc brake conversion if you wanted to.
Didnt think so either but info is from Ranger Station tech library, not my brain... so blame them.

Last edited by Step Over the Edge; 01-09-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
so will an 8.8 bolt right inplace of a 7.5. im replacing the whole axle, axle tubes brakes everything the whole thing the only stock thing would be my rims and tires. And why would the front gears from the same truck i get the back axle from not be safe. How much would it be to install just front gears i can do evrthing els myself.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yes the axle will bolt right in place
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
No offense but are you even reading anything that we are posting??


I have said myself like 3 times and others have said it.

AN 8.8 FROM A RANGER WILL BOLT RIGHT UP.

AN 8.8 FROM AND EXPLORER WILL NOT AND WILL NEED TO BE CHANGED A BIT.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Over the Edge View Post
It would be much safer to get new gears for the front than pulling some from a yard. Installing/having installed the gears will cost more than the gears themselves. 99s are not live axle but it would still be a good idea to take out the front driveshaft until you get the gears in.

You're going to need new hardware moving up to the 8.8 either way, the axle tubes are different diameters. You have a few options to look for. FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios and limited slip and drum brakes, these will bolt right in but are very hard to find. Explorers 90-94 came with 31 spline, usually with either 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratios, sometimes limited slip, and drum brakes. Explorers 95-01 were same but upgraded to disc brakes. The Explorer 8.8s will NOT bolt right in. The spring perches and shock mounts need to be cut off. You can reuse them if you were careful but I strongly suggest the kit from ruffstuffspecialties with new spring perches, shock tabs, and u-bolts. Explorers mounted the springs underneath the axle while ranger mount the springs above the axle, this is the reason for the work.
Yes im reading but you said i will need new hardware moving up to an 8.8 either way. Bam are you readng what you wrote?

Im going to stick with the 3.73 because to install the front gears is like 375 and i dont think i can do it myself. I cant foot that bill right now and guess what all the places that have the axle i want are asking 500-600 and the places with 8.8 4.10 are only asking 350-450 GAY
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-09-2009
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
Yes im reading but you said i will need new hardware moving up to an 8.8 either way. Bam are you readng what you wrote?

Im going to stick with the 3.73 because to install the front gears is like 375 and i dont think i can do it myself. I cant foot that bill right now and guess what all the places that have the axle i want are asking 500-600 and the places with 8.8 4.10 are only asking 350-450 GAY
Did I say that?? No I didn't. So again are you reading??


I have done the axle swap before. I have actually done a couple. You can listen to me if you want. If you don't then don't it won't affect me.

But if you want to then read what I have written 3 or 4 times before.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
ok i thought that was you. some people said i would and some said no so i was confused. thank you. Um i might go with the 8.8 4.10 and then have the front gears installed later. because its going to be about 600 for what i had stock with no limted slip or 600 for the 4.10 8.8 LS the only thing is later on i will need to install the front gears for the 4.10 when i get the money what would you do
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-09-2009
Step Over the Edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
ok i thought that was you. some people said i would and some said no so i was confused. thank you. Um i might go with the 8.8 4.10 and then have the front gears installed later. because its going to be about 600 for what i had stock with no limted slip or 600 for the 4.10 8.8 LS the only thing is later on i will need to install the front gears for the 4.10 when i get the money what would you do
Actually that was me, if it matters. A ranger 8.8 will bolt right in. Does getting new bolts mean it wont? Not in my book, they're $10 and can be bought at any reputable auto store.

You asked, and this is what I would do in this situation...

Go to U-Pull-It, get a 4.10LS 95+ explorer axle, buy ruffstuff kit, cut, measure, weld, take out front driveshaft, save money, regear front diff, reinstall front driveshaft, go play in 4x4

You asked, and that's what I would do in this situation...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
we dont have any u pull it type paces in washington it sucks
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-09-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Ok i decide on what im going to do. I found a 2006 8.8 4.10 Limited slip for 450 and the front gears on it for about 200 and the guy said around 600 for bolth. Im going to try and pick it up tomorrow ans start the install proces. any tips
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-09-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Tips?
I wouldn't install the front gears unless its a complete pumpkin. Do you have the know how of how to set backlash on the gears? If not wouldn't mess with them, you could ruin a perfectly good set of gears, and do more damage. Rear end will be the easy part. just soak everything in PB blaster.

Look here for more info.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php

Or try here. https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/search.php

There are alot of tid bits that will help you out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear axle housing, pressed in axle tubes jpsaxnc General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 06-05-2014 10:04 PM
Spicer 28-IFS axle vs Spicer 35-IFS axle [email protected] Drivetrain Tech 3 11-15-2010 05:25 PM
7.5 axle swap to 8.8 axle Possible? thef9est1 Drivetrain Tech 3 11-01-2010 10:17 PM
New Axle Or Used Axle?? 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 12-09-2008 11:41 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.