D44 with Boggers EXPLAINED! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-06-2006
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
D44 with Boggers EXPLAINED!

Well, I just logged on to find my thread in a heated debate and locked.

Wow... didn't realize I was gonna start this. I suppose after that I better give some clarification on why I asked.

Basically, I'm looking to start building my trail rig at the moment. I might be getting my hands on a Ford 460 for extremely cheap hence the reason I ask about the high output motor because if I get a 460, I'm gonna make it a monster.

The reason for the axles, I was wondering what I should look into for axles if I get that motor. While it seems there are many opinions varied every which way, I was just asking if it was feasible option to do a D44 with 40" Boggers.

Now, after reading everything, the way I see it why not get a D60. I mean if I'm going to be building the hell outta the axle, might as well pony up the extra dough to start and get something that I know will be able to stand up to pretty much anything I can throw at it, not something that while it has worked for some people hasn't worked for a lot of people.

Thanks for the input guys, and I apologize for any problems I may have caused.

Now lets all just go get a beer.

EDIT: For clarification, like I said in the last thread this probably isn't going to be in a Ranger. I was just asking a question more about Dana 44s.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
none of it was your fault. it was some other members that felt compelled to keep arguing over absolutely nothing. completely pointless yet happens all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2006
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
if your going with a 460, the amount of fab work to fit in there, would make a d44 look like a d30. at least a d60 up front would be a wise choice. but we do have a member who will be going with a 460, 2 steering rockwells, and 47"s. but all that will make it strictly a trail rig.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
ya some people took it as there own throwing **** thread and started bashing at each other....waste of time really, i just got done reading acully laugned my *** off. and who is the new guy that doesnt even own a ranger...insteresting there seems to be an influx of that alot lately
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
if your going with a 460, the amount of fab work to fit in there, would make a d44 look like a d30. at least a d60 up front would be a wise choice. but we do have a member who will be going with a 460, 2 steering rockwells, and 47"s. but all that will make it strictly a trail rig.
i agree at least do a D60 the TQ monster 460 will want it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2006
jeepzuk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nowheretowheel,fl
Posts: 56
I totally couldn't agree more
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2006
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
Dont worry happens all the time, at least it wasnt a tire pressure thread this time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2006
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
why bring all of that to thus thread? 2 out of the 3 posts already have nothing to do with what hes looking to do.

he obviously saw what happened in the thread, doesnt need someone to rehash it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2006
jeepzuk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nowheretowheel,fl
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
ya some people took it as there own throwing **** thread and started bashing at each other....waste of time really, i just got done reading acully laugned my *** off. and who is the new guy that doesnt even own a ranger...insteresting there seems to be an influx of that alot lately
I have ford shock mounts and ranger ubolts thats got to count for something

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
why bring all of that to thus thread? 2 out of the 3 posts already have nothing to do with what hes looking to do.

he obviously saw what happened in the thread, doesnt need someone to rehash it.
cause its RF we seem to do that alot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2006
jeepzuk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nowheretowheel,fl
Posts: 56
so lets talk about your 60.you doing a king or ball joinnt 60?highpinion?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX103
Well, I just logged on to find my thread in a heated debate and locked.

Wow... didn't realize I was gonna start this. I suppose after that I better give some clarification on why I asked.

Basically, I'm looking to start building my trail rig at the moment. I might be getting my hands on a Ford 460 for extremely cheap hence the reason I ask about the high output motor because if I get a 460, I'm gonna make it a monster.

The reason for the axles, I was wondering what I should look into for axles if I get that motor. While it seems there are many opinions varied every which way, I was just asking if it was feasible option to do a D44 with 40" Boggers.

Now, after reading everything, the way I see it why not get a D60. I mean if I'm going to be building the hell outta the axle, might as well pony up the extra dough to start and get something that I know will be able to stand up to pretty much anything I can throw at it, not something that while it has worked for some people hasn't worked for a lot of people.

Thanks for the input guys, and I apologize for any problems I may have caused.

Now lets all just go get a beer.

EDIT: For clarification, like I said in the last thread this probably isn't going to be in a Ranger. I was just asking a question more about Dana 44s.
Didn't I try to say that? lol

And I think a 60 might be pricey. Some people I've talked to have seen them go for 1k+. I think you can get a pair of rockwells for about that, maybe a few hundred more. Am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2006
jeepzuk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nowheretowheel,fl
Posts: 56
they are on the pricey side you can find a 60 at the right junkyard as long as they don't know what they got.we bought a 77 f-150 with a hp 44 and 60 rear for 500 about a year ago.complete good running truck
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2006
jeepzuk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: nowheretowheel,fl
Posts: 56
A customer of mine has rockwells and breaks stub axles all the time.but he runs 49 iroks and doesn't drive with scense.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Well I guess if you can find one for a good price more power to ya.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
You can get entire 6x6 Ex-Military vehicles on ebay with Rockwells for 1500-2500 I say it would be worth it, if you could pony up that kind of cash.

There are even companies that sell performance 2" thick axle shafts and lockers for the Rockwells.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2006
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
if your going with a 460, the amount of fab work to fit in there, would make a d44 look like a d30. at least a d60 up front would be a wise choice. but we do have a member who will be going with a 460, 2 steering rockwells, and 47"s. but all that will make it strictly a trail rig.
It's probably not going to be a Ranger. It will probably be a full size older F-250 or something. I'm not really sure yet. I haven't really had time to truly think about much since the oppurtunity to get the 460 just kinda fell in my lap. I was like.. umm... ok. Well, I guess now is a good of a time as any to start building a rig. So other than the engine (and maybe not even that since I technically still don't have it) is set in stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepzuk
so lets talk about your 60.you doing a king or ball joinnt 60?highpinion?
And here in lies my problem. I have no idea what the hell that means.
I know I would like do a 4-link suspension just because I've heard that while they take more work they can produce a lot more flex then leafs. Don't know if that's true or not.

But any help (ie webpages or books or even explanations) will be appreciated. I'm gonna start researching 60's to see what I can find. So wish me luck.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-2006
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
^^ then just find one with the right stuff on it... not much work then
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: homosassa,fl
Posts: 283
i ran a 44 under my full size chevy whith a 350 and a 3 speed manual. It held up fine till i got drunk and started ******'n a old suburban. but before that i root the crap out of it.

nothings bullet proof give me a set of rockwells and stock tires and i could break them. So all i got to say is your wallet's the limit, you can't over build a truck if you got a big axle availible then go for it, if not use the 44. i'm not saying it will break all depends on the amount of alcohol consumed while your root'n. but for the most part i'd say use the 44 mostly because parts are cheap and availablie even if you do break them
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-07-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: homosassa,fl
Posts: 283
sorry guys just relized he said an old f250, once again your wallet's the limit. if you drive half way easy a 44 will be alright but if you get all squirley and stuff when your wheelin a 44 wouldn'tbe the greatest idea,
by the way i had 40" groundhawgs onthe fullsize chevy
good luck with it though man and keep the rubber side down
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-09-2006
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
an old f-250 with a D30 under it would be primo!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need something explained ranger_1999 General Ford Ranger Discussion 33 06-03-2008 03:42 PM
D44 with 40" Boggers Rooks Drivetrain Tech 50 11-06-2006 10:47 PM
Bilstein Shock Numbers Explained Everybody Read! rngprerunner Suspension Tech 3 10-12-2004 04:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.