Differential Questions - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Differential Questions

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 02-25-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Differential Questions

Ok. I'm 90% sure I can do this with no problems. But I wanted to run it by you guys.

2 Questions.

1) Can I take the 8.8 off my '99 Ranger and bolt it right up to the '07? (This one I'm pretty damn sure the answer is yes since the 8.8 hasn't changed for years to my knowledge).

2) Can I take the 3.73 gears out of the 99 Ranger Front Diff and install them into the Front Diff of the '07? Or hell maybe even just swap the entire differential (and not have to screw around with setting up gears). I know they changed the front from the vacuum hub setups over to a live axle setup, but I don't think that changed the actual Diff. I thought it was still that Dana 35 front end or whatever.

Hopefully someone with a bit more info can point me in the right direction. Basically, I'm looking to get a little better mileage out of the '07, so I'm getting smaller tires and I was going to gear it down to 3.73 instead of 4.10.
 

Last edited by Rooks; 02-25-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Saw the title was vague.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2009
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,522
Yes you can swap both axles over no problem.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yup^

shouldnt be an issue.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yeah if it was 97 or older you wouldn't be able to but the front diff is the same from 98+
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Excellent. Thanks guys. I thought that was the case but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2009
ranger's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
Any progress on your SAS?
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Any progress on your SAS?
I only wish. I've been waiting on a friend of my dad's for going on 4 months now to help me out with rear differential (I'm stuck on the ARB).

The next time I'm home though, I'm going to get all the 44 stuff and setup in my basement back at Minneapolis so I can actually get something done. I'm so sick of people never coming through when they say they are going to help...
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2009
DaGGer's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Windsor, CT
Posts: 919
BTW, if you put lower gears and smaller tires on the truck your going to keep the RPMS at the same place they are with bigger tires and gears.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Originally Posted by SniperX103 View Post
I only wish. I've been waiting on a friend of my dad's for going on 4 months now to help me out with rear differential (I'm stuck on the ARB).

The next time I'm home though, I'm going to get all the 44 stuff and setup in my basement back at Minneapolis so I can actually get something done. I'm so sick of people never coming through when they say they are going to help...
dude a 9" is super easy! i just did my first one hour! with a detroit locker!
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
gonna need to run the CV's from the 07 though....
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Just swap in the whole front axle, its so much quicker and easier.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
dude a 9" is super easy! i just did my first one hour! with a detroit locker!
Your right. The 9" was really easy. As far as the gear setup went. What I'm stuck with is trying to tap the differential case for the air line for the ARB. I've ruined 2 different taps trying to do it and I can't figure it out. Basically, when I start turning, the threads on the tap come off, instead of digging into the differential case.

I'm thinking I might just take it to a machine shop soon as I know they could get it done in probably 10 minutes.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2009
RF Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Damn... get some better taps! Isn't a 9" housing just cast or stamped steel?
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Originally Posted by SniperX103 View Post
Your right. The 9" was really easy. As far as the gear setup went. What I'm stuck with is trying to tap the differential case for the air line for the ARB. I've ruined 2 different taps trying to do it and I can't figure it out. Basically, when I start turning, the threads on the tap come off, instead of digging into the differential case.

I'm thinking I might just take it to a machine shop soon as I know they could get it done in probably 10 minutes.

your using cutting fluid right? also try to put some kerosene in that hole as your taping it. i really hope you are using some type of GOOD taping fluid. Another good one is Tap Magic that stuff is unreal.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Strange cases are Nodular Iron (whatever that means). I haven't been using fluid. Never thought it was necessary.

I guess I'll try that out and see what I can come up with.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
You should always use taping fluid when taping holes. It tears the tap up otherwise. It also makes the job so much easier.

If you still have trouble let me know, I would at a machine shop and could probably buy you a really good tap.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2009
RF Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Yeah always always always use lube.

For everything.

Including tapping the hole.

Damn that just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier.

I'm done now.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2009
Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chelsea,AL
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
Yeah always always always use lube.

For everything.

Including tapping the hole.

Damn that just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier.

I'm done now.
You were talking about trucks RIGHT? LOL
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
You should always use taping fluid when taping holes. It tears the tap up otherwise. It also makes the job so much easier.

If you still have trouble let me know, I would at a machine shop and could probably buy you a really good tap.
I may actually take you up on that. The size I need is 9/16 - 18 I believe. Let me know what kind of price you can get me (if that's alright).
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
You should always use taping fluid when taping holes. It tears the tap up otherwise. It also makes the job so much easier.

If you still have trouble let me know, I would at a machine shop and could probably buy you a really good tap.

well i learned something for the day
 
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Originally Posted by FordGuy302 View Post
You were talking about trucks RIGHT? LOL
not any more
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Masteratarms93
General Ford Ranger Discussion
9
05-06-2010 08:13 PM
dangelj316
Drivetrain Tech
10
10-08-2009 09:34 PM
monkeysteeler12
General Ford Ranger Discussion
20
03-08-2009 05:18 PM
PW01
General Ford Ranger Discussion
3
10-03-2006 12:58 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread