Front Hub/ DISC BRAKE issue - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-15-2011
4door's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BakerCity,Or
Posts: 65
Front Hub/ DISC BRAKE issue

I bought 2001 ranger 4x4 5spd 4.0 xlt last year 128.000 miles on it new tranny and clutch motor strong ,,It had a pulling and grinding problem when applying the brakes took to Les schwab tire store ,they replaced the front rotors and new brakes all the way around ,It seemed ok but there was still a little squeak coming from the right front ,the more I drove it the louder it has become ,,So I take it back they happly do a warranty work and come back to me it has a bent hub ,I asked is it safe to drive ,yes he says ,, Whats your thoughts and where do I find a new one , Thank you ,,Robert
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2011
Clinton's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA.
Posts: 1,417
I wouldnt drive it too much if it were me. I am replacing them as well amongst other things. I have a guy that can hook you up with Centric hubs, bestr deal around as well. Shoot me a PM and I will get you his info
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 33
Robert, I just replaced the front rotors and brakes on my 1997 Ford Ranger and I got the rotor/hubs from NAPA...I did some research about a hub for your 2001 and NAPA has rotor/hub assy's for your truck also...they have the hub assy too...It's confusing to me why they replaced the rotors only and not the hubs...if they did it the right way, they would have replaced the rotor/hub as one...what exactly did they state they replaced??? If they didn't repack the bearings that could be where your noise is coming from...I don't see how the hub could be bent...let me know exactly what they did and if they repacked the bearings...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2011
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT24 View Post
Robert, I just replaced the front rotors and brakes on my 1997 Ford Ranger and I got the rotor/hubs from NAPA...I did some research about a hub for your 2001 and NAPA has rotor/hub assy's for your truck also...they have the hub assy too...It's confusing to me why they replaced the rotors only and not the hubs...if they did it the right way, they would have replaced the rotor/hub as one...what exactly did they state they replaced??? If they didn't repack the bearings that could be where your noise is coming from...I don't see how the hub could be bent...let me know exactly what they did and if they repacked the bearings...
01 do not have the traditional hubs, they use a unitized bearing, totally different than your 97.

If the pressed in "hub" of the unit bearing is bent, gotta replace the whole deal....pretty easy to DIY, part should run about 180-250 depending on make/where you get it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
01 do not have the traditional hubs, they use a unitized bearing, totally different than your 97.

The unit bearing is bent, gotta replace the whole deal....pretty easy to DIY, part should run about 180-250 depending on make/where you get it.
Thanks for enlightening me...I hope he gets his fixed because driving with that being bent sounds dangerous...especially in the front....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT24 View Post
Thanks for enlightening me...I hope he gets his fixed because driving with that being bent sounds dangerous...especially in the front....
I think the pressed in thing your referring to is called the "race"...the bearing rides in this...my rotors luckily came with this pressed in already...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2011
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT24 View Post
I think the pressed in thing your referring to is called the "race"...the bearing rides in this...my rotors luckily came with this pressed in already...
No, on some cars you do press out the hub to replace the wheel bearing, but it is not a caged bearing and race, it's a pressed in bearing with the hub pressed into that....hope that makes sense.

The Ranger and trucks in general use a whole unitized setup that is bolted to the knuckle.....WAY easier than the stupid car setup as you have to either have a $$ tool to do it on car or pull the whole knuckle off the car.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
No, on some cars you do press out the hub to replace the wheel bearing, but it is not a caged bearing and race, it's a pressed in bearing with the hub pressed into that....hope that makes sense.

The Ranger and trucks in general use a whole unitized setup that is bolted to the knuckle.....WAY easier than the stupid car setup as you have to either have a $$ tool to do it on car or pull the whole knuckle off the car.
Yeah...it makes sense...but my rotors and brake pads were easy to replace...why is my setup stupid?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2011
4door's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BakerCity,Or
Posts: 65
Thanks all for your help and emails about this ,So if I understand this right ,,The hubs unit on my 2001 4x4 Ranger is a non repair-able and has to be replaced with a new ones,, because,,, even if it wasnt bent,, they canot change the bearings out for new ones,,some thing about the way the bearings are pressed in to the hubs ,Now that is stupid !!!!!!The older rigs are better that you can replace a bearing if it goes out ,these you have to replace the hub,,Is that correct,,,,,,,Robert
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door View Post
Thanks all for your help and emails about this ,So if I understand this right ,,The hubs unit on my 2001 4x4 Ranger is a non repair-able and has to be replaced with a new ones,, because,,, even if it wasnt bent,, they canot change the bearings out for new ones,,some thing about the way the bearings are pressed in to the hubs ,Now that is stupid !!!!!!The older rigs are better that you can replace a bearing if it goes out ,these you have to replace the hub,,Is that correct,,,,,,,Robert
yes the hub is a sealed unit. not hard to replace at all. you can get 2 on rock auto for like 250 is i think. mine as well do both at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-15-2011
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
entire assembly has to be replaced. the hub/bearing assembly is what holds your wheel on. I'd be careful driving it since you have a live axle set up.

You don't want yours getting moderately close to this once it starts getting bad
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2011
xp1ik99's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 3,230
Hey that's what mine was doing the other day!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Wirelessly posted

^ cuz your tires are stupid wide
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2011
xp1ik99's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 3,230
could have been the previous 70,000 lifted miles as it was a stock hub? feel pretty confident it wasnt done in the last 500 miles but thanks for pointing out that i have nice beautiful wide tires
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2011
4door's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BakerCity,Or
Posts: 65
WOO HOO ,,,I finally got to order my new hubs for my Ranger today ,It hurt but I feel The extra money was well spent ,I bought the timken ones from Rock Auto,,,Thanks for all the help and pm offers ,,Here's where my pain starts had to sell my RC Hasbro *****'s jeep I custom built it from a Axial ax10 & Hasbro GI JOE Jeep ,,,The jeep sold high thou ,,happy about that ,,,4door
Attached Thumbnails
Front Hub/ DISC BRAKE issue-willys1.jpg   Front Hub/ DISC BRAKE issue-willys4.jpg   Front Hub/ DISC BRAKE issue-willys8.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2011
4door's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BakerCity,Or
Posts: 65
knuckle seals on front axle

New hubs are on and it drives alot better,,,,,But has anone else found that they front knuckle seals were shot and letting water and mud go into the bearings from the front axle ,The axle seals that go in the knuckle were just hanging there on mine,had to replace both sides ,this should make the bearings last longer I hope..4door
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How-To: Front Cobra disc brake conversion Redneckstone Engine & Drivetrain 11 07-19-2017 10:59 AM
2010 ranger disc brake question/E/parking brake adjustment age General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 11-11-2013 06:34 PM
Front Disc Brake Upgrade Kris03 General Technical & Electrical 16 07-27-2011 06:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.