Going to sell truck, cant fix this issue - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-28-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Going to sell truck, cant fix this issue

Don't want to make this long, I have a vibration in steering wheel at all speeds every thing is new on front end, hubs ball joint tie ends shocks and at all speeds I can feel it, really bad at 70 when I get off the gas, only thing I have not done is after I had a new companion flange put on rear of drive shaft it was not balanced, it feels like a hub bearing but the are both tite, no play in front end anywhere, tires balanced recently hubs have 20 k on them, tried every thing I can think of, thanks, you may see truck for sale very soon on here
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
new ball joints and tie rods requires mandatory front end alignment

next would be the front driveshaft at the transfer case , probable worn out CV flange
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
new ball joints and tie rods requires mandatory front end alignment

next would be the front driveshaft at the transfer case , probable worn out CV flange
Is this a common issue, thanks cheese
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1469 View Post
Is this a common issue, thanks cheese
Sorry I forgot to mention I took out front shaft and same thing
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
any time you replace tie rods and ball joints , you affect the steering geometry from factory settings

always have a front end alignment done any time you replace front end parts ( suspension / steering )
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
if you replaced a u-joint flange , then yes you have affected the drive shaft balance

check the drive shaft to see if a weight was flung off

tell tale sign ,,, fresh unpainted metal in the middle of a rusty metal area
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

It started before the companion flange and it's getting worse,, can totally feel in the wheel ,but also floor, I did driver side bearing and that's when it just started to lightly vibrate so I did the other side, is it possible that the driver's side bearing is bad,I mean it was a new bearing but doesn't mean it was a good one, $ 56 at rock auto
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
$56.00 for a wheel bearing ??????????????????

that bearing is cheap chinese crap

go and purchase SKF or timken bearings , they may cost more but they are the best wheel bearings for north american vehicles

SKF bearing BR930343 4x4 without pulse vacuum hubs $212.84

TIMKEN bearing SP450201 4x4 without pulse vacuum hubs $175.54

myself i prefer SKF bearings , better quality bearing compared to timken
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
$56.00 for a wheel bearing ??????????????????

that bearing is cheap chinese crap

go and purchase SKF or timken bearings , they may cost more but they are the best wheel bearings for north american vehicles

SKF bearing BR930343 4x4 without pulse vacuum hubs $212.84

TIMKEN bearing SP450201 4x4 without pulse vacuum hubs $175.54

myself i prefer SKF bearings , better quality bearing compared to timken
They were both cheap bearings, but they don't have any play in them, it's an 02 no pvh,,could one or both still be bad with no play or noise,thanks man
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
cheap chinese bearing DO NOT have the same manufacturing qualities as the skf and timken

do yourself a favour ,, your life is worth a lot more than cheap chinese bearings

bite the bullet and purchase the best wheel bearings that you can

quality bearing are not cheap BUT are well worth the cost vs losing a wheel and crashing
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
cheap chinese bearing DO NOT have the same manufacturing qualities as the skf and timken

do yourself a favour ,, your life is worth a lot more than cheap chinese bearings

bite the bullet and purchase the best wheel bearings that you can

quality bearing are not cheap BUT are well worth the cost vs losing a wheel and crashing
Will definitely order new ones tonight, can they be messed up but not loose and making humming sound,in other words can they be junk right now and not show it
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
chinese bearing manufacturers do not apply the same rockwell hardness to their bearings as other higher quality bearing manufacturers do

the bearing can be tight , but the bearings them selves can be a softer metal
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
chinese bearing manufacturers do not apply the same rockwell hardness to their bearings as other higher quality bearing manufacturers do

the bearing can be tight , but the bearings them selves can be a softer metal
Thanks man I will get alignment cams and bearings and let you know, and also should I get cams that are 0_1 1/2 or 0_2 1/2 degrees
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
alignment cams are not my area of experience , best talk to a alignment shop about that
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
alignment cams are not my area of experience , best talk to a alignment shop about that
Thank you for your input , I appreciate it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
alignment cams are not my area of experience , best talk to a alignment shop about that
Thanks I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-14-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Had tires balanced removed front drive shaft. It's fine when your on the gas, as soon as you let off it vibrates a good deal replaced a lot of front end part and being aligned on sat, it happens at any time above say 35 mph,it's driving me crazy, I will sell truck if I can find issue, the only thing I should mention is in the rear companion flange was changed and the drive shaft was not balance but the vibration is getting worse
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-14-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
the vibrations only occur when coasting ,

the answer is , your rear differential gear backlash is out of spec
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-14-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
the vibrations only occur when coasting ,

the answer is , your rear differential gear backlash is out of spec
Thanks,whole rear end was looked at six months ago before I found out about the slip joint having no grease, I can fell it in the wheel a lot when driving and holding it lightly, thanks cheese
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-01-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 3
What about the tires
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-01-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rangernerd View Post
What about the tires
Just had new tires put on and had it aligned, it's fine now over 50 but in the 40 45 mph zone it has a vibration off thottle,also noticed that in the rain the left side front wheel will lock up first,I kinda think it's the $60 hub bearing assembly but it has no play anywhere front entrance is all new, only thing that hasn't changed are cheap *** bearings I put in
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-01-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1469 View Post
Just had new tires put on and had it aligned, it's fine now over 50 but in the 40 45 mph zone it has a vibration off thottle,also noticed that in the rain the left side front wheel will lock up first,I kinda think it's the $60 hub bearing assembly but it has no play anywhere front entrance is all new, only thing that hasn't changed are cheap *** bearings I put in
your front brake calipers need bleeding

here is a good tip i use , remove caliper use a 6 inch c-clamp and compress the piston all the way in then back out the c-clamp out 1/2 turn .

have someone in the cab to pump the brakes while you tighten / loosen the bleeder valve

compressing the piston almost all the way in will force what ever gunk still resides inside the piston bore out through the tube while you bleed the brakes
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-01-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
your front brake calipers need bleeding

here is a good tip i use , remove caliper use a 6 inch c-clamp and compress the piston all the way in then back out the c-clamp out 1/2 turn .

have someone in the cab to pump the brakes while you tighten / loosen the bleeder valve

compressing the piston almost all the way in will force what ever gunk still resides inside the piston bore out through the tube while you bleed the brakes
What is your opinion on the vibration I tend to think that it's one of the cheap hub assembly bearings
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-01-2015
cheese_man's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: arthur
Posts: 2,100
you could possibly have a bent rim

the cheap chinese bearing could also be the cause
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-12-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yarmouth mass
Posts: 231
Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_man View Post
you could possibly have a bent rim

the cheap chinese bearing could also be the cause
If I shift into 4 high and going 35 miles an hour of the vibration completely goes away as soon as I take it out of 4 high the vibration immediately comes back any thoughts cheese man
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck Worth - Fix it, or sell it as is? Rooks General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 05-18-2013 07:51 PM
Sell it, fix it, or what? nross General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 07-03-2012 05:41 AM
To Sell or Not To Sell dangerfish General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 05-12-2010 12:38 AM
HELP!!! nedd to fix or dads making me sell!!!! redneckjust Fabrication & Tool Tech 4 03-21-2010 04:01 PM
Need Advice, To sell or not to sell that's my question. billet03 General Ford Ranger Discussion 18 10-03-2009 02:25 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.