New: Differential Guide - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 01-11-2010
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 68
i'm suprised i got a 2wd ranger sport and i have an 8.8 with a 31 spline in it. is it cause i have the tow package on my truck?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-11-2010
anthonyalaan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 42
Sweet! I finally know what my rear kind of rear end I have, 7.5' open 3.73! Seems to work well with my 31s.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-18-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: jacksonville,florida
Posts: 32
what ford comes factory with 4.10 gears? anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-03-2010
red_rider's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Byron, IL
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwilliams021208 View Post
what ford comes factory with 4.10 gears? anyone?
Pretty sure most 93-97 2.3L extended cab 2wd's will have 4.10's, I know mine does anyways (checked the door and diff cover).
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mccarr ky
Posts: 2
needing help

anyone know if outer pinion bearing on 2004 ranger can be replaced without pulling diff gears
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-03-2012
rangerpat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pointe-calumet,qc
Posts: 40
what is the best choice for 2008 fx4 for the front diff
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2012
joshyddog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: puyallup, wa
Posts: 156
They still making the ECTED Locker for my truck?

2005 ford ranger edge?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-10-2013
joshyddog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: puyallup, wa
Posts: 156
^ Don't read my post! NVM

Bump!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-11-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Anyone do an "OX Locker ?
They can be cable, electric or air operated.
They are, from what I have seen and read, more HD than an ARB, four big HD spider gears.

Thinking on this but new house has just stepped up on the priority list.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-02-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy User… ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Just purchased the OX Locker for my 8.8, 31 spline.
Having trouble deciding the correct length for the cable.
I need to crawl under the truck as soon as the rain stops.

Will post when I get it in and yes it may be a little while BUT I am not doing it, I am having a friend/mechanic do the work. (4.56s, OX, new small parts)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-13-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 1
Hey guys, I recently purchased an 01 ranger xlt 3.0L from a buddy. He never changed the gears and it has an open dif. It's got 33's on it and I need to put new gears and a locker on the dif. The dif is the 7.5. Could you guys suggest the best option for this setup (except the air compressor one) and what gear ratio would be best. Any ideas on overall costs too? I'm pretty savy with my hands and tools and I've got the service manual but I know some **** just has to be left to the pros. Thanks for your help gentz

Last edited by kr0nah0lic; 10-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-26-2014
boyd_835's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: lake tapps, wa
Posts: 523
Swap it with a 8.8 and 4.10s that's the cheapest and best option . It's it 2wd?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-02-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
I have a 2004 ranger xlt 4.0 automatic. I had to pull up on a snow covered hill to let a cop get by. So I had 2 tires on the hill. When I tried to get off, my rear left tire was spinning with no traction and I had to switch it to 4×4 to get back on the road. I was under the impression all trucks had limited slip differentials and I was disappointed when I found out I dont. I googled them and the cheapest one I could find was 300 and I can't afford that haha. Does anyone know a cheap way/mod I can do to be able to remotely mod the stock open differential or replace it cheaply? Or have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-03-2014
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drive A Ranger! View Post
I have a 2004 ranger xlt 4.0 automatic. I had to pull up on a snow covered hill to let a cop get by. So I had 2 tires on the hill. When I tried to get off, my rear left tire was spinning with no traction and I had to switch it to 4×4 to get back on the road. I was under the impression all trucks had limited slip differentials and I was disappointed when I found out I dont. I googled them and the cheapest one I could find was 300 and I can't afford that haha. Does anyone know a cheap way/mod I can do to be able to remotely mod the stock open differential or replace it cheaply? Or have any suggestions?
You could try to find a used trac-lok and rebuild it. Or use a lunchbox locker. The trac-lok would be a better option though. Cheapest I can think of
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-03-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
You could try to find a used trac-lok and rebuild it. Or use a lunchbox locker. The trac-lok would be a better option though. Cheapest I can think of
how much will it cost to change it. I'm assuming you have to disassemble the entire rear end right?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-04-2014
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drive A Ranger! View Post
how much will it cost to change it. I'm assuming you have to disassemble the entire rear end right?
You change the carrier. Cost depends on how cheap you can find one and the labor rate of the shop you take it to
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-04-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
You change the carrier. Cost depends on how cheap you can find one and the labor rate of the shop you take it to
thanks! If I get it done it will make driving in the snow, rain, and mud so much easier. I honestly don't know why they even made these trucks with open differentials. It makes traction in bad conditions suck ***.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-04-2014
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drive A Ranger! View Post
thanks! If I get it done it will make driving in the snow, rain, and mud so much easier. I honestly don't know why they even made these trucks with open differentials. It makes traction in bad conditions suck ***.
I had an open 8.8 with a 4.10 ratio stock with 28inch tires. I couldn't even pull off from a light when it was wet without spinning one of them. With 31s its not as bad now, but I have an eaton truetrac that's being installed next week hopefully
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-05-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I had an open 8.8 with a 4.10 ratio stock with 28inch tires. I couldn't even pull off from a light when it was wet without spinning one of them. With 31s its not as bad now, but I have an eaton truetrac that's being installed next week hopefully
if I could install it myself i could save so much money but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Are yoy paying someone to do it for you?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-05-2014
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drive A Ranger! View Post
if I could install it myself i could save so much money but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Are yoy paying someone to do it for you?
Sadly, yes. There's only one guy in my town that can do it and will stand behind it. I'll have a little more than $1000 in it between the gears, differential, labor to put it in, and the disc brake conversion.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-05-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Sadly, yes. There's only one guy in my town that can do it and will stand behind it. I'll have a little more than $1000 in it between the gears, differential, labor to put it in, and the disc brake conversion.
since my truck is completely stock, idk if it's worth it. I absolutely love it even tho it's not a standard. But my dad said I should just save up and get a newer and better truck. I need to fix the rust over the wheel wells and get a radio that actually works before anything. I just wish the ford engineers could have been a little less cheap... plus since I go snowboarding multiple times a week, not having true 4×4 sucks. But good luck with your build!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-05-2014
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drive A Ranger! View Post
since my truck is completely stock, idk if it's worth it. I absolutely love it even tho it's not a standard. But my dad said I should just save up and get a newer and better truck. I need to fix the rust over the wheel wells and get a radio that actually works before anything. I just wish the ford engineers could have been a little less cheap... plus since I go snowboarding multiple times a week, not having true 4×4 sucks. But good luck with your build!
Thanks, by the time I'm done, the only thing stock on my truck is probably going to be the frame
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-05-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dracut Mass
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Thanks, by the time I'm done, the only thing stock on my truck is probably going to be the frame
Sweet! If I do decide to keep my 4 litter 04 ranger for a couple more years. I'll probably change the rear diff and a new sounder system and I'd be happy
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-11-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Franklinville
Posts: 1
rear end differential case bolts

what size are the 10 bolts for my rear end differential case. i need to put on a new case cover and i know the old bolts are rusty and will need replacing. how can i find out what size these 10 bolts are?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-11-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Normally you'd find a kit online
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rob's Abbreviated Guide to Painting Your Rigs Interior Sad_Savant Interior Semi-Tech 55 04-27-2015 09:58 AM
Buying rims guide help JoshW Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 7 03-12-2006 07:55 PM
2006 Ranger Product Guide 03edgeman General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 07-25-2005 03:42 PM
Ford Ranger Color Guide SouthernEdge Exterior Semi-Tech 0 05-29-2005 10:20 PM
Idiot's Guide To: Posting Pictures 00RANGER00 General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 03-10-2005 09:28 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.