Question about 4.56 gears... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 10-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
i have 33's and 4.56's

i can do 80 and still see 15-18 MPG
Really? That's pretty damn good for that tire size. I'm surprised you get that kind of MPG's.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-20-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
he's geared correctly...mpg comes with that............
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-20-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post

And BTW where can a I get a good deal on 4.56 gears and a locker?
http://www.completeoffroad.com


get the cheapest priced gears('name brand' gears).....the expensive ones(yukons) and the cheap ones have the SAME PART NUMBER!! Save like $50 per gearset.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-20-2008
richyrich's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 121
Sweet thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
he's geared correctly...mpg comes with that............
I knew he would be but still wasn't expecting him to get no more than 15 at the most even with the correct gear ratios.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-20-2008
richyrich's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
http://www.completeoffroad.com


get the cheapest priced gears('name brand' gears).....the expensive ones(yukons) and the cheap ones have the SAME PART NUMBER!! Save like $50 per gearset.

Please excuse my ignorance but I see they have the gear and install kit package deal... Do I need that or just the ring and pinion set?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-20-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
save even more going with the install kit(bearings, crush sleve, bolts, etc). I'm doing hte package deal. here's a pic i made comparing...


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-20-2008
richyrich's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 121
Nice work. So its not a matter of just changing R&P we need the kit? Oh and what does it mean 4.56, 4.88, and 5.13 notched cross shaft required $39.00? We have to buy that seperate? Or they add the 39 bucks and it comes in the kit?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
Nice work. So its not a matter of just changing R&P we need the kit?
I would get what he marked on his invoice. That would be the best way to save some dough. Shane and I don't agree on much but we do agree on one thing and that's saving money. We are somewhat short handed and deep pocketted to an extent.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-20-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
Nice work. So its not a matter of just changing R&P we need the kit? Oh and what does it mean 4.56, 4.88, and 5.13 notched cross shaft required $39.00? We have to buy that seperate? Or they add the 39 bucks and it comes in the kit?

Basically...yes it's a matter of swapping the ring and pinion out. I'll let someone else take care of answering your question as to *if* a master install kit is required. I'm going that route because basically you're rebuilding the axle(new bearings, shims, ring, pinion, fluid and the like)...and my axle has 130k on it...why not you know?

The notched crosspin is talking about some ratios require that becaise of the size of the ring gear. You can reuse your stock one with grinding of the stock crosspin to clear the ring gear..or you can get an already notched crosspin if you wish to not mod your stock one. At least that's how i understand it. I'm a noob in this whole gearing/gear swap specifics dept. But i'm learning.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-20-2008
richyrich's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Basically...yes it's a matter of swapping the ring and pinion out. I'll let someone else take care of answering your question as to *if* a master install kit is required. I'm going that route because basically you're rebuilding the axle(new bearings, shims, ring, pinion, fluid and the like)...and my axle has 130k on it...why not you know?

The notched crosspin is talking about some ratios require that becaise of the size of the ring gear. You can reuse your stock one with grinding of the stock crosspin to clear the ring gear..or you can get an already notched crosspin if you wish to not mod your stock one. At least that's how i understand it. I'm a noob in this whole gearing/gear swap specifics dept. But i'm learning.

Hey thanks man I appreciate your input. Im learning too...


So is this the kit I need for my rear diff for 4.56? http://completeoffroad.com/i-123352-...kage-deal.html

Last edited by richyrich; 10-20-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gears gears gears which to choose? craigs2869 Drivetrain Tech 14 10-07-2011 03:32 AM
High Pinion Gears and Low Pinion Gears ? Downey Drivetrain Tech 14 01-13-2009 10:19 AM
Gears and more Gears (R & P)... zabeard General Ford Ranger Discussion 21 12-02-2007 11:02 PM
Front Gears same as Rear Gears / HUM?? Wingmandan Drivetrain Tech 9 08-22-2007 10:44 AM
Which 4.56 gears and locker? Best Gears pushdeck Drivetrain Tech 8 03-05-2007 06:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.