Re gearing for 33s - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-01-2008
JaxRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 404
Re gearing for 33s

I want to re gear but dont know where to start or what to expect.

Will I get horsepower?
Will I gain MPG?
And what Ratio would be best ??

Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
What's your current ratio?? 4.10 is fine for 33's. 4:56 would be a good bet so you can go bigger in the future and not have regear for 35's.

If you are 3.73 now, since you are 2wd, I'd suggest finding a junkyard 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears....probably around the $200 range....ALOT cheaper than the install on the new gears.

I thought there was a nice chart somewhere that shows tire size, revolutions of that tire per mile, and gear ratio....i can't seem to find it.

YOU WON'T GAIN HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE!!! What you will gain with a lower gear, is more toque in a lower engine rpm range......at the cost of higher rpms at higher speed....so you'll lose some top end. Meaning, it'll be faster off the line, w/ a lower top speed. Guys...confirm that for me.....i don't think it came out right. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
since you have the 3.0, I would run 4.56's with 33's........
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2008
TommyC's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
Don't forget, 2WD people can get 4.30s
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Don't forget, 2WD people can get 4.30s
good call.....those would be the best "all around" gear for both city and highway driving...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
ya...never thought of that.......but that depends on if he has a 8.8 right? He could have a 7.5".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i would skip 4.30s

After using my truck more in more situations I wish I had 4.88s not 4.56s for 35s.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2008
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
I agree with beard. I got 4.88s and wish they were something numerically higher. Don't fear the gear, go 4.56.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2008
Urandaman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wher ever uncle sam wants
Posts: 1,193
i got 4.56s with 33s.. ill let ya know how it works out once i get them installed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2008
pehlke1985
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
What's your current ratio?? 4.10 is fine for 33's. 4:56 would be a good bet so you can go bigger in the future and not have regear for 35's.

If you are 3.73 now, since you are 2wd, I'd suggest finding a junkyard 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears....probably around the $200 range....ALOT cheaper than the install on the new gears.

I thought there was a nice chart somewhere that shows tire size, revolutions of that tire per mile, and gear ratio....i can't seem to find it.

YOU WON'T GAIN HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE!!! What you will gain with a lower gear, is more toque in a lower engine rpm range......at the cost of higher rpms at higher speed....so you'll lose some top end. Meaning, it'll be faster off the line, w/ a lower top speed. Guys...confirm that for me.....i don't think it came out right. lol.


http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...tirechart.html

I hope that helps ya!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2008
JaxRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 404
Thanks for all the information... I think I might go with 4.56s the chart says "Best Overall Performance" haha but what about feul economy.

I know a guy who is running 4.30s and says he got a few more miles but i dont know? Will the 4.56s affect my economy cus I drive a lot and thats the last thing I want to do is lose feul economy
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-2008
pehlke1985
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRanger View Post
Thanks for all the information... I think I might go with 4.56s the chart says "Best Overall Performance" haha but what about feul economy.

I know a guy who is running 4.30s and says he got a few more miles but i dont know? Will the 4.56s affect my economy cus I drive a lot and thats the last thing I want to do is lose feul economy

They mean best overall with towing and etc. do you tow alot or haul alot of weight or just your basic offroad adventure and mostly highway??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-2008
LivnFastForward's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: OREGON COAST
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEDGE View Post
I agree with beard. I got 4.88s and wish they were something numerically higher. Don't fear the gear, go 4.56.
ya im running 33s with 4.88s. Love it. milage sux. I would agree 4.56. Youll gain alot for take off and pullin hills. Milage will go down a bit tho.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-02-2008
JaxRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 404
Yea I tow a landscape trailer and mostly do city driving. What about 4.30s? I dread losing mileage... any remedy for this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
33s with stock gearing and tuner? RWeidner13 Drivetrain Tech 5 12-04-2014 06:19 PM
Pic Request Please!: for trucks with bl, sl and 33s or sl coils and 33s Fenech627 Snapshots 13 04-14-2009 05:47 PM
Gearing? ClubFoot 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 2 09-21-2008 08:36 PM
stock gearing pointhwerp Drivetrain Tech 4 09-14-2008 07:54 PM
Gearing Ratio's bschittler Ranger-Forums Office 7 04-28-2005 11:39 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.