Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 07-15-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
smart move! go with the 4.0 internals! I didn't know you could do that, I just got aftermarket parts geared towards handling more "power" which in turn gives me lower temps while towing, and the tq converter really locks up :) I have the shift kit too...it allows fluid to flow all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-15-2008
Quasi242's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 155
Just as an FYI. My tranny has started to slip. The shop that I go to recommended that I just drop in a new unit from Ford. They estimated 7 hours labor ($500), new tranny ($2,200), tax and flush ($300). Basically, $3,000 out the door. The only benefit to this approach is that Ford will warranty the new unit for 3 years or 100K. Not too bad since most rebuilds will only cover their work for a year.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-15-2008
Yessick's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mobile,Alabama
Posts: 842
i say.... GO DAWGER DOWN!!! lol or not.... what ever you choose to do with it.. i have all new internals including electrical but if it does go out then a shift kit and i didnt know you could upgrade to 4.0 internals thats weird.. well shoot gives me something to look forward to when my tranny blows its something i realy dont look forward to but when it happens it happens..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-15-2008
chevyslayer925's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trexlertown,Pennslyvania
Posts: 1,293
i maybe willing to sell u my rebuilt tranny. .once yours goes
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Yeah my tranny guy said he will upgrade my pistons to 4.0 pistons? I think that's what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingsville, Texas
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
I rest my case.
Dude drop it
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar_Yo450 View Post
Dude drop it
Dude, get out of my thread.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky919 View Post
Thats what I would do you could get a another year out of it or it could blow up tomorrow, its just the risk you take driving any vehicle.
Amen to that.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-15-2008
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Get a used manual trans and convert the truck to manual
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
Get a used manual trans and convert the truck to manual
Too much of a pain :P
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingsville, Texas
Posts: 608
Get out of mine [email protected]

Ur trucks bout to BLOW and your over in the snapshot forums. LOL

With ur tranny
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-16-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Back on topic.

We'll see how long the tranny lasts before I got to swap it out. I'll keep you guys posted up.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-16-2008
schatten789's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Matagorda County, Texas
Posts: 735
Ive put a little less then 10k on mine since it was doing that and that with offroading trips. Now it sometimes holds between gears and the motor will rev up for a sec or two then it slams into gear. It sometimes shifts very very hard, and I get a flashing od light every other time I drive the truck. Revers doesn't work at all until the trans is completely warmed up then it will sometimes shift into gear, other times you have to rev the motor up a couple times before it will go into gear.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-16-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Here's what i suggest, and this is what I did when i trans took a crap...


go to a junkyard, get a low mile used trans. My manual rebuild was going to be about $1200. I went to a JY and got a 5,000mile 06 trans for $500. Great, cheap replacement of my no 2nd gear 70k 01 trans.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-16-2008
Crunchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hull, Quebec
Posts: 486
I know someday I will be in the same boat as you.

Whatever happens, I intend on keeping my old (will be dead at that point) tranny and rebuilding it myself.

Of course I will get a professionally done one put it, but at the same time, to have the extra tranny lying around with no time limit to finish the rebuild, I am sure with the proper resources I have the knowhow to do it. SO then I will have a backup tranny for the next time it goes.

BTW- I intend on keeping my truck and driving it to its grave, so this idea appeals to me, cause all people who own these trucks till the bitter end go thruogh a few trannys.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-16-2008
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
+1 on the converting to manual. If you wanted a manual in the first place, you can convert to a rebuilt manual for under 2500. If you can turn your truck into a prerunner i'm sure doing a manual swap will be a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-16-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Here's what i suggest, and this is what I did when i trans took a crap...


go to a junkyard, get a low mile used trans. My manual rebuild was going to be about $1200. I went to a JY and got a 5,000mile 06 trans for $500. Great, cheap replacement of my no 2nd gear 70k 01 trans.
I'll look into that for sure... You just ripped that tranny out and installed it and your still running on that same tranny today? Didn't have to re-build anything in the tranny?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-16-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
I know someday I will be in the same boat as you.

Whatever happens, I intend on keeping my old (will be dead at that point) tranny and rebuilding it myself.

Of course I will get a professionally done one put it, but at the same time, to have the extra tranny lying around with no time limit to finish the rebuild, I am sure with the proper resources I have the knowhow to do it. SO then I will have a backup tranny for the next time it goes.

BTW- I intend on keeping my truck and driving it to its grave, so this idea appeals to me, cause all people who own these trucks till the bitter end go thruogh a few trannys.
Yeah I would look into rebuilding it myself if I knew anything about it :P I'm in the IT/Networking field and I'm barely teaching myself auto mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
+1 on the converting to manual. If you wanted a manual in the first place, you can convert to a rebuilt manual for under 2500. If you can turn your truck into a prerunner i'm sure doing a manual swap will be a breeze.
Not enough experience :(
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-16-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by My91Ranger View Post
+1 on the converting to manual. If you wanted a manual in the first place, you can convert to a rebuilt manual for under 2500. If you can turn your truck into a prerunner i'm sure doing a manual swap will be a breeze.
Your assuming he does all his on work on his truck. I think I remember seeing he had someone install all that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-16-2008
Crunchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hull, Quebec
Posts: 486
Quote:
I'm in the IT/Networking field and I'm barely teaching myself auto mechanics.
Bahh - thats no excuse, I'm a programmer myself, just think of it this way, trucks are easier to troubleshoot than spaghetti code patched together by a half dozen incompetant progammers. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-16-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Bahh - thats no excuse, I'm a programmer myself, just think of it this way, trucks are easier to troubleshoot than spaghetti code patched together by a half dozen incompetant progammers. ;-)
Shoot look at Zabeard, he's in the IT as well and his truck is one of the most custom trucks on this site!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-16-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Your assuming he does all his on work on his truck. I think I remember seeing he had someone install all that stuff.
I've done a lot of it myself, but the bigger **** (lift, rear end, shock mounts, etc. I've had a lot of my friends do here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Bahh - thats no excuse, I'm a programmer myself, just think of it this way, trucks are easier to troubleshoot than spaghetti code patched together by a half dozen incompetant progammers. ;-)
1001010100010101011110000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Shoot look at Zabeard, he's in the IT as well and his truck is one of the most custom trucks on this site!
True that, but he also has a lot more money then I do obviously lol. It's mainly lack of experience and lack of the right tools to use. I don't have access to that kind of **** but I understand where you guys are comming from. It's not that I can't do it, I just lack the experience and tools to get the job done.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-16-2008
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
It's not that I can't do it, I just lack the experience and tools to get the job done.
Same here and well I love working on my truck, but it can't be down for my than a day cause I have to drive it to work/school. Everything I know is all self taught. If I could afford another vehicle I would love to take some bigger projects, but at this point it isn't going to happen
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-16-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
It's mainly lack of experience and lack of the right tools to use. I don't have access to that kind of **** but I understand where you guys are comming from. It's not that I can't do it, I just lack the experience and tools to get the job done.
Oh I wasn't hatin on you or anything I understand 100%. Thats why I haven't done a Expo axle swap yet, I can't weld or any of that stuff...yet.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-16-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Oh I wasn't hatin on you or anything I understand 100%. Thats why I haven't done a Expo axle swap yet, I can't weld or any of that stuff...yet.
I just get all the parts needed for what I want done and find the shop to do it. I'm trying to learn more as I go though so I can fix things myself in the future.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Trade: 31 spline limited slip for 28 spline limited slip (ma) 99offroadrngr Engine & Drivetrain 0 05-13-2014 06:34 PM
tranny or transfer case seems to randomly slip into neutral ? al1260 Drivetrain Tech 0 02-16-2014 05:47 PM
Shift kit for automatic tranny My05edge Drivetrain Tech 18 06-29-2012 11:25 AM
whats a good tranny rebuild kit for my 01 ranger, is shift kit needed miran587 Drivetrain Tech 4 09-27-2009 07:28 AM
no slip/limited slip neocon Drivetrain Tech 14 02-19-2006 11:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.