Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource (https://www.ranger-forums.com/)
-   Exterior Semi-Tech (https://www.ranger-forums.com/exterior-semi-tech-39/)
-   -   Blacking out the tail lights (https://www.ranger-forums.com/exterior-semi-tech-39/blacking-out-tail-lights-69752/)

Clay Kann 08-14-2008 09:16 PM

Blacking out the tail lights
 
Is there any threads on how to do this? I wanna black out my tailights but im not sure on how to approach it. Any ideas?

Ray_Welder 08-14-2008 09:19 PM

Theres sereval threads on here somewhere About niteshade. That is what everyone seems to use.

I think the procedure is to get niteshade, Put on several coats until its as dark as you want it to be.
Wetsand and clear coat. Some people tape of the reverse lights too, Which I think it looks better than way.
I may be a little off on the procedure but its not far off from that.

Clay Kann 08-15-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray_Welder (Post 1033396)
Theres sereval threads on here somewhere About niteshade. That is what everyone seems to use.

I think the procedure is to get niteshade, Put on several coats until its as dark as you want it to be.
Wetsand and clear coat. Some people tape of the reverse lights too, Which I think it looks better than way.
I may be a little off on the procedure but its not far off from that.

Awesome thanks, anyone have any pictures of the black taillights? Where do i get this nite shade stuff i looked all over on the internet seem to not have it, maybe autozone? Lol another thing could i night shade the front head lights also or no?

elementsenjoi 08-15-2008 08:41 PM

here is a link:

http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...603c442e4a814e


edit:
it is cheaper here:
http://www.jusnesmodified.com/store/...roducts_id=146

99XLTman 08-15-2008 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are mine,

i went a little darker after i took these pictures, this is about three medium coats

Attachment 190976

kawaboy13 08-15-2008 08:44 PM

Is that legal in TX?

Lone Ranger 93 08-15-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay Kann (Post 1033941)
Awesome thanks, anyone have any pictures of the black taillights? Where do i get this nite shade stuff i looked all over on the internet seem to not have it, maybe autozone? Lol another thing could i night shade the front head lights also or no?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k/100_4106.jpg

Scuff up light with scotch brite pad or sand paper
Nightshade
Clear coat
800, 1000, 2000 wet sand
Polish with some sort of compound
:headbang:


You can buy on just about every major vehicle mod site, I'd suggest buying from wayne

stuffforyourranger.com

Don't put it on the headlights

Get black housing headlights instead or headlight mod yours

:fing02:

Clay Kann 08-16-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger 93 (Post 1034134)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k/100_4106.jpg

Scuff up light with scotch brite pad or sand paper
Nightshade
Clear coat
800, 1000, 2000 wet sand
Polish with some sort of compound
:headbang:


You can buy on just about every major vehicle mod site, I'd suggest buying from wayne

stuffforyourranger.com

Don't put it on the headlights

Get black housing headlights instead or headlight mod yours

:fing02:

Head light mod? Please explain. Also that truck of yours is amazing i love it. Thanks for the link btw.

htjunkie 08-16-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawaboy13 (Post 1033988)
Is that legal in TX?

No, this is NOT legal in Texas. But, depending on the agency, you might not have any problems.

Clay Kann 08-16-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htjunkie (Post 1034294)
No, this is NOT legal in Texas. But, depending on the agency, you might not have any problems.

Agency? Huh? O well it looks good im going to do it theres a bunch of diesels running around with blacked out tails thats what gave me the idea to do it to mine.

htjunkie 08-16-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay Kann (Post 1034301)
Agency? Huh? O well it looks good im going to do it theres a bunch of diesels running around with blacked out tails thats what gave me the idea to do it to mine.

What I mean by agency is your police,or sheriffs department. I can ashure you that D.P.S. will pull you over for them. They pulled me over for my blacked out covers.

kawaboy13 08-16-2008 01:15 PM

so u think that they will pull a high school kid ove for it???

htjunkie 08-16-2008 01:19 PM

I can't say for sure man, I just know that around here.....they are pretty strict.

kawaboy13 08-16-2008 01:21 PM

Well I'm in Southeast Texas

htjunkie 08-16-2008 01:23 PM

The only reason I went with the covers instead of the nightshade, was because I wasn't sure if I'de get hassled. All I had to do was remove them for night driving, and then put them on for daytime driving.

93MVSplash 08-16-2008 01:33 PM

Yeah I am interested in doing this as well I am doing the taillights the 3rd brakelight and I am going to so a light smoke on the front headlights because I have the fog light valance on the way with smoked fog lights.

Clay Kann 08-16-2008 03:20 PM

Well i havent been running a front license plate for about 3 months now and i havent been hassled yet, and that is for sure illegal i checked last time i got my plates renewed.

D'oh 08-21-2008 01:39 PM

does anyone know how euros would look with nightshade

vetters77 08-21-2008 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are mine:

Attachment 190434

It's black paint w/ clear coat so they are super shiny! Nightshades always look a little flat to me. I wish they weren't so dark and the reverse light wasn't painted but I had them done for free :)

Ray_Welder 08-21-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetters77 (Post 1038946)
Here are mine:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...4bc20000-1.jpg

It's black paint w/ clear coat so they are super shiny! Nightshades always look a little flat to me. I wish they weren't so dark and the reverse light wasn't painted but I had them done for free :)


Those are really dark! They look good but I wouldn't dare to go that dark. I like the wheels on that truck! What are they.

sullys_ranger 08-21-2008 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres mine:
Attachment 190432
BUT do what lone ranger 93 did and wet sand and clear, I still need to do mine

vetters77 08-21-2008 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wish they weren't so dark! It's pretty thin so the light shines through rather well, except the reverse lights. I plan on getting another set and having my friend re-do them to MY specs this time ;)

My wheels are the pro-comp 7089:
Attachment 190419

Attachment 190420

Tys 4x4 FTW 08-23-2008 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 190298

thats what mine look like
2 shades, still havent cleared them yet though :(

mossyoak03 08-23-2008 09:08 PM

how do you wet sand them just run water over them why you sand them? thats how i remember doing it when i repainted the bed of my old truck

Jp7 08-23-2008 09:26 PM

If you are looking for LED tail light bulbs that will show brighter than stock through the shaded red then PM me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.