front bumper in the making - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Fabrication & Tool Tech Need assistance with or ideas for custom metal fabrication? Want to show off your fabrication abilities or custom modifications? This is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 07-13-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I guess you'll just have to test it and see! Do you use a program to design your stuff or just design as you go?
testing it would mean rolling it and seeing if the radiator and other engine components didn't get crushed.. lol

or going down something steep enough to get the rear tires off the ground an balancing on the bumper to keep you from rolling end over end lol
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
testing it would mean rolling it and seeing if the radiator and other engine components didn't get crushed.. lol

or going down something steep enough to get the rear tires off the ground an balancing on the bumper to keep you from rolling end over end lol
lol yeah, not something i want to test on purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-13-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
testing it would mean rolling it and seeing if the radiator and other engine components didn't get crushed.. lol

or going down something steep enough to get the rear tires off the ground an balancing on the bumper to keep you from rolling end over end lol
I know lol, it was a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-13-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
lol yeah, not something i want to test on purpose.
you just need a full exo, then you can go test it on purpose
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-13-2008
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Zach, It looks great! I agree with Shane, first bumper of that style that looks good. I also agree with Chad, it would look much better and not over done if you had some flat metal around the KC's. I was thinking that before I saw his picture. I am just not a big fan of the frame and stuff being exposed like it is now.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-13-2008
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01 View Post
Zach, It looks great! I agree with Shane, first bumper of that style that looks good. I also agree with Chad, it would look much better and not over done if you had some flat metal around the KC's. I was thinking that before I saw his picture. I am just not a big fan of the frame and stuff being exposed like it is now.
it might be hard to get it to look right tho because of the bend where it hooks to the high loop and the bottom is straight. But what do I know lol
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky919 View Post
it might be hard to get it to look right tho because of the bend where it hooks to the high loop and the bottom is straight. But what do I know lol
actually you are right on, not sure how i could accomplish this. have to look into it.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-13-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
metal working to shape to it. takes time to learn, then die it after
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
its in the garage coated in primer, tomorrow color coat goes on. I forgot to weld on a flag mount so i need to do that tomorrow as well.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-13-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
you might have answered but is it bolt on i take it?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
it will be at a later time. i will also be able to bolt on the old valance if i want. just need to buy a few things to do it. but like i said dont to spend any money right now.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-13-2008
winks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
i dont to spend any money right now.
Fun feeling, ain't it?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by winks View Post
Fun feeling, ain't it?
lol actually i am enjoying it. buying other stuff i need. not truck parts. all the tube i am using i have had for 3-4 weeks, so far the only thing i bought for it was the winch and paint
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-13-2008
Biz's Avatar
Biz Biz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: los angeles,California
Posts: 2,120
damn zach...i love that bumper!...very different and unique design.....now start making me one
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-13-2008
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
dang zach. i like it. not what i had in mind when you were explaining it.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-13-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangererv View Post
dang zach. i like it. not what i had in mind when you were explaining it.
it changed design, rather designed on the fly with what tube I had. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-13-2008
redranger_02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 641
your goin to be bolting up a valance to it? why? i think that a valance would take away from the overall look of the bumper and make it not look so good. but i guess if you get it on there and you dont like it you could take it off.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-13-2008
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
it changed design, rather designed on the fly with what tube I had. LOL
lol thats how everything is put together. lol
design it as you make it cause the ideas just keep rollin
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-13-2008
redranger_02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 641
are you keeping record of the bends you are using for each piece? just a thought you might wanna try incase you do happen to start building bumpers for other people to make some extra money and they want something it is on yours might make build time go a little faster.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-14-2008
SanityAside's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,199
nice, it complements the mud grapplers
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-14-2008
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
I would do nasty stuff to that bumper!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-14-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger_02 View Post
your goin to be bolting up a valance to it? why? i think that a valance would take away from the overall look of the bumper and make it not look so good. but i guess if you get it on there and you dont like it you could take it off.
no i think your confused. this bumper will be bolt on, and i can switch back and forth to each one...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-14-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger_02 View Post
are you keeping record of the bends you are using for each piece? just a thought you might wanna try incase you do happen to start building bumpers for other people to make some extra money and they want something it is on yours might make build time go a little faster.
i could try to make one but i make it all off looks and fitment, would be rough without making it on the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-14-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
no i think your confused. this bumper will be bolt on, and i can switch back and forth to each one...

why would you switch them around? lol

toob bumper > stocker
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-14-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
why would you switch them around? lol

toob bumper > stocker
only because of winter and salt on the winch, not sure how that is all going to work out. the salt they use around here will have that sucker rusted in a matter of weeks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making a WAAG brush guard into a push bumper Jacobdmac New Ideas 2 09-04-2014 11:08 PM
My bumper I'm making. EdGe_wannabe Fabrication & Tool Tech 69 05-19-2008 11:56 AM
Front skid in the making 07Ranger Fabrication & Tool Tech 14 03-09-2008 03:43 PM
bumper bumper bumper INT3RC3PTOR Fabrication & Tool Tech 60 08-08-2006 11:03 PM
Thikning of making a new front bumper W1CKY Fabrication & Tool Tech 10 10-04-2005 10:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.